Thread: Not sure they ever improved on the BSA Standard?

Not sure they ever improved on the BSA Standard?

I have bought several vintage rifles over the last year and have had a blast shooting history. But today I took out my 1924 BSA Standard I bought last year, the first real vintage springer in my collection. It just refused to miss any of my targets. My old eyes aren’t great with open sights but these just seem to work almost like a peep. The bead it just so fine and easy to distinguish. Best open sight on any of my rifles and its 95 years old! The trigger is one stage but light. I’m sure mine has been worked on, and maybe improved?, have no way of knowing but these rifles are just a treat. Someday I will match it with a “Light”

i have a .22 standard and agree with you,the trigger on mine is very nice,it sort of rolls then breaks cleanly and is easy to hold the rifle steady while squeezing the trigger.also agree with you regarding the sights,front bead is spot on. ATB

There is a reason these old Lincoln jeffries/BSA air rifles are my favorite. They are such great guns to shoot. Very easy to work on and very accurate. It is no long shot to say that they are probably one of the best air rifle designs in the world.

Very simple and easy to use. Good amount of power and fantastic sights. Every collector should have at least have one of these in their collection (I have 5 )

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    There is a reason these old Lincoln jeffries/BSA air rifles are my favorite. They are such great guns to shoot. Very easy to work on and very accurate. It is no long shot to say that they are probably one of the best air rifle designs in the world.

Very simple and easy to use. Good amount of power and fantastic sights. Every collector should have at least have one of these in their collection (I have 5 )
    l have to agree with the above statement. but there are so many models to chose from including the different calibres ect that you could have quite a big collection of them.

I agree with everything said, here. The sights are truly first class and the bead is unsurpassable and provides sharp definition. The rifles are also accurate although some care is probably required with the pellet choice. Mine seems to like Superdomes although I have a good stock of Defiants and even old Eley Wasps. Mine is 1922, the trigger is crisp and it is performing at 11.3ft/lbs - quite remarkable, really. I am not sure that the later BSAs exceeded the quality, although they put a stock around the cylinder. This rifle well exceeds much that was produced post-WW2.

Some people have managed to place scope rails on theirs; I bumped into a fellow last week who had a WW1 telescope (with posts rather than cross hairs), which his grandfather had 'confiscated' from a Germany sniper in WW1 and he was fixing this to his Standard. The telescope was magnificent, in great working order and with wonderful clarity of vision.

Quality wise,post war BSA springers have inexorably been on a downwards trajectory!

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Quality wise,post war BSA springers have inexorably been on a downwards trajectory!
    Bit harsh....... The BSA Superstar, was a high point that seemed to represent a change in fortunes for BSA designers in my opinion. Not a patch on the quality of pre-war underlevers such as the Improved Model D, and the BSA Standards, it was still a huge improvement over later Mk's of the Airsporter.

Then PCP's took over, and BSA's changed to re-vamped Gamo's.. The rest is BLACK

Lakey

A man just can't have too many pre-war BSA's !