Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
No problem Papa.

I'm glad that you identified it for us --- I was unsure and thought it was just a big Fokker.

Well, I was minding my own business at the firing point about 2pm, when somebody said "What the heck is that?" (plane in the distance, quite low, heading roughly towards us) "it's got four flippin' engines!".

Now, I didn't have my spectacles on (they mess with my parallax), so I cannot confirm or deny the number of engines.

Next thing I remember, the aircraft was roaring over the field next to the firing point... we rushed out from under the canopy, to get a good view of it through the trees... from sideways on, I know it had a twin-tail, RAF roundel on the side, and a gun-turret on the top between the wings and the tails... somebody murmured "Lanc...?" and I think I said "Wow, Lancaster...?"

On reflection, I reckon Papa C. is right. It wasn't that big, and it wasn't all that loud... still made the hairs go up on the back of the neck, though.

Question, Mick? What plane did you order? Or was the fly-past a 'free gift' when you ordered the portaloo?