Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just dry fired my new LGU :-(

Just dry fired my new LGU :-(

Hi,

Just dry fired my new LGU :-(

I was just adjusting the trigger first stage spring tension on my 100 shot old LGU when the gun went off :-(

Please tell me it's not buggered now !!!

If yes, what will be buggered so I can buy the new bits.

It still shoots as I tested it. I was thinking of getting a NickG tuned piston when he replies to my PM. Will his kit replace what I may have buggered?

To be honest dry firing the once accidentally will be unlikely to have buggered it. If its still shooting ok you probably have nothing too much to worry about.

Ditto.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Thank you for that.
    I get my chrono next week, so I'll start checking it's power over time.
    What exactly gets damaged after a dry fire in a springer?

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    No problem at all, just don't make a habit of it
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Although it isn't something that you would do deliberately (and certainly not repeatedly), the odd dry fire will not harm your springer. Jim Tyler's fine workings demonstrated the choking effect to air flow in the transfer port, so piston bounce will still have occurred. Second piston landing maybe a little harsher.

Don't worry, it'll be fine.

"Super-tuned" guns with monster springs and opened out transfer ports won't fare as well, mind!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

No I won't make a habit of it !
    I'm gutted
    My guns lost its virginity

It's standard at the moment, but the TP has been opened to 3.2mm.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    Thank you for that.
    In Yea Olde Days the leather piston head was held on by a washer and a screw. If dry-fired the screw could end up hitting the end of the cylinder and cracking the piston or otherwise getting thread damage so that air would leak through the piston into the spring compartment. On rifles with tight tolerances the piston might biff the end of the cocking lever and bend the cocking lever or piece. On a cheap gun with a very heavy mainspring it might smack the breech/cylinder joint out and cause leaks or a complete failure. Also, in Ye Olde Days, lubrication was quite often 3-In-1 or light machine oil, which meant a spectacular diesel detonation when dry firing occured. This WILL cause spring damage etc as the piston flies the wrong way up the compression cylinder, in some cases enough to smash the trigger mechanism (OK these were where people had introduced inflammable 'substances' to the cylinder).

On a modern springer it MIGHT damage the piston head seal but doing it just once will probably not have that effect. I still hate it when the Ignorati do it, I've seen 'gunsmiths' do it in shops to demonstrate their complete lack of manners and springer knowledge.

Thank you for that.
    Have a read of this. Don't take it as gospel but really there is no need for you to be overly worried about your dry firing accident.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006...amage-airguns/

Round my neck of the woods a certain gunshop if you ask to look at that brand spanking new springer on the shelf the sales guy will cock it and dry fire it right in front of you before handing it over

Consequently, I’ve never bought any rifles from that gaff

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I'm gutted
    My guns lost its virginity
    I will take it off you and release it into the wild if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    Round my neck of the woods a certain gunshop if you ask to look at that brand spanking new springer on the shelf the sales guy will cock it and dry fire it right in front of you before handing it over

Consequently, I’ve never bought any rifles from that gaff
    Nob.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    In Yea Olde Days the leather piston head was held on by a washer and a screw. If dry-fired the screw could end up hitting the end of the cylinder and cracking the piston or otherwise getting thread damage so that air would leak through the piston into the spring compartment. On rifles with tight tolerances the piston might biff the end of the cocking lever and bend the cocking lever or piece. On a cheap gun with a very heavy mainspring it might smack the breech/cylinder joint out and cause leaks or a complete failure. Also, in Ye Olde Days, lubrication was quite often 3-In-1 or light machine oil, which meant a spectacular diesel detonation when dry firing occured. This WILL cause spring damage etc as the piston flies the wrong way up the compression cylinder, in some cases enough to smash the trigger mechanism (OK these were where people had introduced inflammable 'substances' to the cylinder).

On a modern springer it MIGHT damage the piston head seal but doing it just once will probably not have that effect. I still hate it when the Ignorati do it, I've seen 'gunsmiths' do it in shops to demonstrate their complete lack of manners and springer knowledge.
    Nice and concise post there, sir.

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Nob.
    Funny thing is Tone if it’s a winerack, I usually blow the smoke away from the barrel and hand it straight back