Thread: Bsa Spitfire

Bsa Spitfire

Hi, Could any one please tell me if any of the other Bsa brake barrels will fit a Spitfire.
    Cheers,
    Steve.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxs View Post
    Hi, Could any one please tell me if any of the other Bsa brake barrels will fit a Spitfire.
    Cheers,
    Steve.
    Yep they should do, it's a generic barrel fitting but check to see if the cocking lever pin hole is in the same place.

You may find the slot under the breech block that the cocking lever sits in may be a different size but the cocking lever ends can be adjusted if needed.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I think the only difference is they were choked, and more accurate than standard. I know the Bisley Spitfire was.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I think the only difference is they were choked, and more accurate than standard. I know the Bisley Spitfire was.

Baz
    I was also told that by Tony Wall at SFS, he said that the barrel was the same as what was fitted to the S10 models.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Are we talking about the break barrel Spitfire PCP of 20 years ago ? Think the standard generic break barrel can be fitted, the Spitfire I just sold to gingernut on here is the target model which seems to have a choked barrel. Not sure if the standard BSA break barrel is choked, experts on here will know. These rifles are very accurate used in competitions for quite a while.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Are we talking about the break barrel Spitfire PCP of 20 years ago ? Think the standard generic break barrel can be fitted, the Spitfire I just sold to gingernut on here is the target model which seems to have a choked barrel. Not sure if the standard BSA break barrel is choked, experts on here will know. These rifles are very accurate used in competitions for quite a while.

Baz
    I asked the question on here a while ago about removing chokes from barrels and I checked most of my rifles at the time (the break barrels anyway) and a lot of the BSA's seem to have chokes, one of the calibres didn't (I think it was the .25 I can't remember without checking again) but the general consensus was that a choke doesn't really matter and doesn't affect accuracy if removed but does beg the question, why put one on there in the first place if it does?

Pete

Many thanks for your replys. Next question who`s got a compatable barrel for sale ?
    Cheers,
    Steve

As per pm: the choke definitely matters in .177.
    I have 2 Spitfires, with .177, .22 and .25 barrels.
    A gunsmith once shortened my .177 original Spitfire barrel, at my request, and I have regretted this ever since. Without the choke the .177 JSB's, which grouped very well before, were all over the place.
    According to the gun's designer JB, the choke is less important in .22 and .25. Having recently acquired the .22 and .25 barrels, both generic ones, I haven't tested them yet. I did manage to find a .177 unshortened Spitfire barrel in the end btw, but that took some years.
    Cheers, Louis