Thread: Corvid chaos

Corvid chaos

After a phone call from one of my permissions to help with corvid control, which is basically a 1mile lane through open farm land i went there after a 3month absence at dawn on a wet day last Friday. I parked up at a 'busy' spot with sparse sitty trees around the 40yard distance. After shooting my first carrion out of the car window, the air became thick with crow and jackdaws and I mean thick there must have been over 50 going mad, as fast as I could cycle the mag and shoot they fell, I emptied a full 14 shot mag with only one miss before they took flight. I have had something similar in my shotgun days but never to this extent, And they would rarely land. I wondered if it was something to do with time of year, nesting, territorial etc. I managed another 4 driving up and down the lane.
    Has anyone noticed this kind of behaviour at different times of year?

May well be the time of year.
    We had a similar thing happen the other week.
    Farmers wife hates Jackdaws.
    We arrived at the farm to see about a dozen in a tree beyond the farmyard, rangefinder out , and found that at 80 yards they were too far. An attempt to close the gap lead to us being spotted and away they went.
    Whilst mooching around the yard , one came into some trees at the edge , less than 30 yards from me.
    I raised the HW100, took up stage one ,gently squeezed for stage two , a slight phut from the hugget silencer and the jackdaw still sat there ? Same process again , crosshairs on its bonce , slight squeeze, and the jackdaw jumped onto another slim branch . Took a a minute to realise that I had not locked my magazine in properly. Doh !
    Third attempt and down it went . After retrieving the bird it went straight on to the muck midden for the farmer to see..
    We then went to mooch for squirrels around 150yards away . After about 15 mins all hell broke loose . There must of been about 80 jackdaws going mad . They had spotted their fallen friend and clearly were not happy . If only we had stayed in the farmyard we would of had plenty of cover and even more opportunities.
    Their guard was definitely down .
    We attempted to sneak back to get a few shots away but to no avail .
    Next time we are going to take a couple of decoys , hide in the tractor shed overlooking the midden and a sitty tree and hopefully give them a good bashing .
    They certainly seem to have other things on their mind at this time , what with mating , nesting etc.

hi, maybe you should have used the dead 1 as a deek,they dont allways land just fly around going mental. atb mick

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    hi, maybe you should have used the dead 1 as a deek,they dont allways land just fly around going mental. atb mick
    Maybe ,
    But I've put dead birds out before as deeks with no luck.
    However , when they have been face down in the dirt the others have come in .

Hence the od saying crows love a funeral