Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Scorpion Pistol

BSA Scorpion Pistol

I have just got hold of another BSA Scorpion pistol in poor condition.

My first one i bought new in 1984 and I love it.

Yes its heavy ish but it is powerful and accurate.

Now there is confusion on mk1 and mk2

my first one is PA mk1 but has rails and 2 holes for rear sight mk2

Parts being put together as needed by the factory.

While the one I have just bought is the same but does not have any numbers on it ???

There are no signs of the numbers being rubbed off.

Metal is rough and will need light sanding and re colouring.

All parts are the same just have to fit the usual buffer washer o ring breech seal and new spring.

The spring in it was a chrome one and had broken at the front and had been cut down badly also all
    screws were loose and incorrect but easy to work on.

Any comments or advice welcome.

It's always possible the 'PA' barrel has been changed at some point and fitted to a later Mk.11 body, as the serial number is stamped on the barrel linkage point.

True possible swap but i bought it new so assume the factory did it.

But no number on the other one?????

I've just checked the parts lists & instructions and it would appear the 'PA' prefix was common to all models, both Mk.1 & 2.
    I can give no reason for the lack of serial number on the other Scorpion.

Question BSA Scorpion pistol

Well you think you have a problem, i have a Scorpion pistol with no stamps at all non on the cylinder or on the barrel, Have been told it could have been given to one of the staff as a leaving present,but no one sure.They got up to a lot of funny goings on in them days,one of the common things was to just mix any parts together mk1 and mk2 bits "etc".Some have texturing on the grip were your thumb sits,others not so.:

I have stripped the pistol and degreased it and found a number on it but not on the side
    it is underneath

Never seen that before

It is a shame to see old guns misused and neglected.

This one has the usual suspects breech seal and buffer washer hard and crumbling.
    The spring is a chrome one and had broken and was too small.

Back sight missing - I have a lower part but missing the top bit.

Got all the new bits needed and it will live again this weekend but the bluing on the barrel
    is very poor.

It had a bit if rust but as I rub it the colour rubbed off too

Not sure what finish to do with it yet.

I love these guns already have one I bought new in 84 I serviced that and wow it could stop a bull -well a very small one anyway.

Also have a cougar which is fun to use if I strengthen my index finger for the trigger

If you don't want to go to the expense of having the pistol professionally refinished, remove as much of the rust etc. as you can, then degrease the surface, and apply a coat of Black Acrylic spray paint which will give a good hard wearing finish. The use of the cocking aid will always cause some wear to the fore end, but this can easily be touched up as necessary.
    You could use either semi matt or gloss according to your preference, but I have found the satin finish, available from Halfords and probably elsewhere, to be a pleasing finish.
    Metal polish is good for removing marks and scratches from the plastic.
    I have a few Scorpions both boxed and unboxed, but I don't have a Cougar.

Thanks will look into the paint.

Just put it back together and fired 3 shots all ok ...

then safety catch loose.

took the grip off and the safety spring had broken so off to john knibbs tomorrow

I was just looking at the Knibbs serial number list and it only shows the Scorpion pistol as RA & RB
    Interestingly though in brackets for RA it says recalled.
    Assuming that meant they withdrew that version for whatever reason. If so I wonder how many might have "got loose" ?
    My RA example has fair metal work but not so good plastic.
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Great guns. I have three now, all in fairly good condition, and a buccaneer. The hammer trigger makse it quite nice for a powerful springer pistol, as there is no direct load on the trigger sear.
    I bought on with a broken stock from Kempton for the princely sum of £15 - it was very, very rough, but I was buying it for the complete trigger unit, which I felt was a bargain.
    The remains of the stock went in the bin as soon as I got home
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegv8 View Post
    I was just looking at the Knibbs serial number list and it only shows the Scorpion pistol as RA & RB
    Interestingly though in brackets for RA it says recalled.
    Assuming that meant they withdrew that version for whatever reason. If so I wonder how many might have "got loose" ?
    My RA example has fair metal work but not so good plastic.
    The early Mk.1 .22 was temporarily withheld from issue and recalled from retailers when it was realized the power could be over the legal limit, but obviously quite a few had already been sold and some were never returned. I bought a brand new .22 Scorpion in 1973, and mine was certainly never returned, as, at the time I knew nothing about the recall
    The .22 model was then re-issued with a different piston to bring the power within the legal limit, hence the variation in the .22 serial number prefix.
    The first prefixes from 1973 were .177 PA & .22 RA, with the later modified .22 prefixed with RB
    I do have a later Scorpion issue 6 parts list with the letters PB indicated, but I suspect this was a typo as other issue 6 lists have the prefix RB indicated, and I have never seen a .22 Scorpion with the prefix PB.

Safety did not work work correctly on my 2nd pistol and found broken part in the trigger.

anyone got a spare complete trigger??

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasan View Post
    Safety did not work work correctly on my 2nd pistol and found broken part in the trigger.

anyone got a spare complete trigger??
    What part is broken ? normally they only break when something else has gone wrong...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hammer