Thread: Home tune on LGU?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Home tune on LGU?

Hi Guys,

I can't see a custom section on this forum, so I'll just ask here.

I have an LGU that I have fiddled with the trigger. Now that's perfect for me, I want to reduce the recoil.

If I stuck the piston on my lathe and thinned the wall down to say half thickness (reducing the piston weight) would that reduce recoil?

I'd leave the two ends untouched, just thin out the middle 4/5ths.

No doubt the spring would need to be adjusted to get the power back to where it needs to be (chorno on it's way).

The other thought was to mill out 4 good size slots in the piston to lose weight. I have the tools.

Would I be asking for trouble, or a good way to reduce recoil using standard parts?

Thanks.

By reducing piston weight you would possibly reduce power, So to increase spring length to gain power lost and to possibly gain more recoil, Myself i would aim to set gun if 177 cal to about 10.5 , If you've recently bought the gun I would get a good few months of shooting out of it first before I started going to far with it, My lgu had a kit fitted already to it , That was 177 cal and was shooting at 10.5, The chap who bought it off me phoned me recently to say how smooth and lovely it shot compared to his tx which has had a lot of money on it with regards to tuning,

My LGU was the most accurate .177 I have ever owned. It never ever occured to me to tune it.

The only reason I got rid was the weight. I finally called it a day on heavy springers.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    If it's shooting accurately, I would leave it alone.
    Good deals with these members

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Leave it be. If you want to reduce recoil, stick a heavier scope on it and/or some lead in the stock.

If you want to tune something, get an HW99S and finish it properly then get one of tinbums guide kits.

Should keep you busy for an evening or two.

I've not shot a springer for years, and certainly not a 'proper' one like this

I ran about 150 shots through it the other evening on a farm I know, target in the field with crap pellets.

Today I got more serious. I set up an 18 yard bench rest shoot in my garden and shot about 200 shots.

I discovered the crap pellets really were crap!
    I was able to get a 10mm hole (well under a 5p) with 10 pellets using AA Diabolo Field 8.4g 4.5mm
    My PCP (AA S400 MPR FT) was able to put single holes with 10 pellets

I wouldn't say the LGU was hold sensitive, but it did make a difference if you held it firmly. It's like a big dog, it goes where you make it if held firmly. My small daughter (who you will meet at the springer bash) had her first go on the LGU springer with me today. She nearly fell off the chair after the first shot Once she discovered how different it was to shoot from her PCP, she was grouping 10 shots in a 5p Think I may have her hooked on Boing guns now! Her face said it all after a good shot

So it seems the gun is going well, but less recoil is always going to be better. As you say, tread with caution with something that aint broke!