Thread: The Airsporter That Never Was.

The Airsporter That Never Was.

As it was over 10 years ago, I thought I'd share this again, I hope you find it interesting, no more jokes about me coming across it either thank you.

CLICKY
    Last edited by master_shriller; 16-04-2018 at 08:28 PM.
    master(dot)shriller(at)gmail.com

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    It is a peach of an Airsporter. The previous thread on it said that the barrel weight contains some monstrously powerful spring, something to do with barrel harmonics. I wonder if they hand-fitted the tap?

I did an airtightness (if that's a proper word) test on the tap and it held the air back better than any other Airsporter I've ever tested.
    master(dot)shriller(at)gmail.com

Amazing, and fascinating.

Objectively, would it have beaten the FWB Sport and HW77 in FT? Probably not. Or, to be frank, no.

Sad to see that at least someone at BSA had seen where the post-1981 high-end air rifle market was going, even if this wasn't the best answer, but the company kept on turning out glorified farmyard guns.

For what it's worth, Webley were even worse at that whole "working out how to compete with the Germans" thing.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Amazing, and fascinating.

Objectively, would it have beaten the FWB Sport and HW77 in FT? Probably not. Or, to be frank, no.

Sad to see that at least someone at BSA had seen where the post-1981 high-end air rifle market was going, even if this wasn't the best answer, but the company kept on turning out glorified farmyard guns.
    I think they didn't see the potential market that FT was going to generate. In a way it is reminiscent of BSA's decision to put a diopter and an interchangeable element tunnel on the Mercury and sell it as a 10m target rifle. This kind of half-arsedness really wasn't going to go anywhere.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Bloody hell was that ten years ago you posted that thread up I remember reading it back then and thinking what a shame BSA don't produce rifles like that anymore, I'm lucky enough to have added a few BSA's as beautiful as that to my collection since that thread was put up, like Alistair has said, BSA resting on their laurels hasn't really helped them and adapting current (at the time) rifles for certain disciplines is a bit of a daft thing to do.

I'd love to see them reintroduce a thoroughly updated Airsporter as there seems to be a lack of rifles with sleek and beautiful flowing lines nowadays.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I think they didn't see the potential market that FT was going to generate. In a way it is reminiscent of BSA's decision to put a diopter and an interchangeable element tunnel on the Mercury and sell it as a 10m target rifle. This kind of half-arsedness really wasn't going to go anywhere.
    Completely agree.
    They would have been better off aiming the Mercury at the FWB sport, not the airsporter. A Mercury S in 177, Bowkett designed 12 ft-lb internals, and an FT style stock could have been a contender (until the HW77 turned up). Maybe I need to build a Mercury up for some vintage HFT....

That airsporter is lovely though. I've got a few in my collection but nothing quite like that