Thread: Webley Revolver

Webley Revolver

Hoping a few of you may own one or have used one just wanted to ask what they are like. I am mainly looking at the pellet version but are they worth it? Are they any good or more something you own because it looks and feels good. They seem a little expensive. Read and watched a few reviews but it's always better to ask.

Thanks.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    They are a pretty realistic replica that has the additional feature that you can use them for plinking at cans. Heavyish and has the excellent ejection system of the original. Impressively large revolver which was simple for officers and soldiers to learn to use, and which has an very long combat record.

But the pellet or BB version does not go BOOM! and launch a huge lump of lead downrange, so it could be disappointing. And it is not made of steel, and it irritatingly has a non-authentic safety catch. I had one for a while then swapped it with tinbum. For what it is I say that it is a good piece of kit, but not something I would spend all afternoon shooting.

If you want a proper 'shooter' then get one of the Smith & Wessons.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi. I own a battlefield finish (with after-market distressed grips) BB version, and I love it to bits, because:

1) It is exceptionally tactile and a real pleasure to handle and own;

2) Is in design a perfect almanac to the military history of 20th Century British Army;

3) Is immense fun to plink at cans an 10m targets with (and have no reason to doubt the rifled barrel pellet version is any different?) ... and ...

4) When ever I take it out of it's period WWI styled leather, or WWII styled khaki canvass webbing holster (bought one of each as the MK.VI covered both wars, and more) at the range (most recently at the Boinger Bash), folk flock round it to view it and queue to have a little plink with it.

Although, as Alistair alludes to, after maybe half an hour you are ready to shoot and plink with something a little more rewarding (personally, I like to use a pistol as a warm up before starting with one of my rifles), these Co2 replicas are great GREAT fun, as indeed is my Schofield and DS 2.5" (also all in BB as these suit me).

Hope this helps, but I have to sign off by saying go for it, as personally, if you buy it for all the same motivations and reasons as me, you won't regret it. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Yeah I want this because of the history and the same reasons as you I guess. I mainly like collecting British stuff and thought this would make a good addition. I just didn't want it to be all about the looks and functions then lacking in how it actually shoots.

Some people seem to say it's very accurate while others say it's terrible or have had problems.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMarvin View Post
    Yeah I want this because of the history and the same reasons as you I guess. I mainly like collecting British stuff and thought this would make a good addition. I just didn't want it to be all about the looks and functions then lacking in how it actually shoots.

Some people seem to say it's very accurate while others say it's terrible or have had problems.
    It's a CO2 'revolver' with pellets loaded into the tips of plastic carrier 'bullets' so I think the accuracy potential is limited. You should be able to whack soft drinks cans all day long at 10 yards, but chopping match-sticks at the same range is not going to happen.

'Very accurate' too me would be the ability to group into 10mm at 10 meters, which is what you would expect from an old school Match pistol like a FWB 65 or similar recoilless type. 'Accurate' for a sporting pistol would be a group size of about 20mm. 'Plinking accurate' would be 30mm or so, and the Webley fits into my last category. It is sufficiently accurate for what it is designed for, plinking.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMarvin View Post

Never heard of anyone, anywhere, saying that either the BB or the pellet versions of the Webley MK.VI are terrible, in fact, just the opposite, as all the owners I have spoken to say their MK.VI's are, as you allude to at the start of the above quote, very accurate in their respective fields (BB and/or pellet), very accurate indeed.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

The people I spoke to that had the problems said they just took them back to the shop and the replacement was perfect. So I think it's just very unlikely if you get one not working.

Like you said though most people love them and I'm sure I will so I better get saving

These are great revolvers, if you have an itch to buy one because you are interested in the real firearm then apart from the banginess you will not be disappointed.

My guns are taking over at the moment so I am planning on thinning down my pistol collection to fund a lever action. The Webley will be staying as it is lovely and the perfect complement to my SMLE.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Yeah it is an interest to me and something I can use in the back garden. I own other firearms not back garden friendly so it would be a nice addition.

Thanks for all the comments from everyone I will be getting one at some point in the future

I have a battlefield finish pellet version.

It is a wonderful replica - I saw the real steel version in our local museum and apart from the slightly cocked hammer and - tbh - really stupid and unnecessary safety catch on the air pistol you would be hard put to tell them apart.

The accuracy is also matched in shooting - barn doors are safe at 10 paces from each.

If you want to shoot accurately - forget it - they are not terrible but just about anything else is better.

HOWEVER - they are real fun, look, handle and weight the same as the original and as such are worth the price.
    Last edited by PaulR; 17-04-2018 at 08:32 PM.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    I love mine (pellet 'new' looking version) For what it is, it's acceptably accurate and I've occasionally used it for UBC comps for fun. Someone earlier mentioned loading the pellets in the tips of the cartridge. I don't- I load them in the base, they fall out of the tips. Am I right or wrong? Dunno! Who cares- works for me

With hindsight I should have bought a battlefield finish example, but I bought a leather holster off the bay from India which should help in the battlefield conversion

Go for it- they're great!
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk