Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: BSA DS1973... is this a Lightning?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Leyland
    Posts
    691

    BSA DS1973... is this a Lightning?

    Hi Chaps,

    I have a really nice little BSA break barrel with barrel weight stamped DS19731. I assumed this was a lightning but I am not 100% sure now at all. The rifle is working well and is very useful as it is small and pointable but I would like to know for sure for future reference, spares etc.

    Also as this is a carbine was there a rifle version? Blue book of airguns is no good and google searches are just giving me more doubt.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    look no hands's Avatar
    look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hedge End, Nowhere near Snock or Eastleigh anymore
    Posts
    8,140
    If you can show us a photo then that may help or,

    What's the barrel length?

    Does it have open sights or threaded holes to mount any?

    How big is this barrel weight you speak of and can the end cap be unscrewed easily or does it run along most of the barrel?

    The number you've supplied according to John Knibbs can either be a Lightning, Lightning XL or a Supersport.

    Pete
    BSA Supersport Custom Lightning .25 ~ BSA Mercury Challenger Lightning .177 ~ 2 x BSA Mercury S .22 ~ BSA Airsporter S carbine .22 ~ BSA Airsporter RB2 carbine .22 ~ 2 x BSA Challenger .22 ~ Air Arms Prosport .177 ~ Air Arms Combat .22.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Leyland
    Posts
    691
    Thanks Pete I will supply a few pics tomorrow after I get in from work. The rifle is indeed a titch but powerful. I am a bit relieved that it could be one of three models as I was beginning to think my limited mental prowess had abandoned me. I was feeling like Forrest Gump.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Leyland
    Posts
    691
    Hi,

    The rifle is 38" long, the barrel is 15" from the breach to the tip of the barrel weight and the barrel weight itself is 4" long. Just had a plink with it and the rifle is fairly accurate (more than me anyway) and still powerful....pic below.

    Any ID help would be appreciated, thanks

    http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps5bv127il.jpg

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Broxbourne
    Posts
    1,448
    That looks like a supersport to me?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Leyland
    Posts
    691
    I have no idea so you could be right, I am assuming that this must be a carbine? If it is I think I must add a Supersport rifle to my wants list. Whilst people are looking at this BSA could I ask if the Beeman C1 was ever on sale in the UK? That was a BSA originally?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    655
    The Beeman C1 was sold in this country, but it had a Webley Vulcan Carbine action and a straight hand stock, I have one in .22, the breach block is stamped San Rafael California!

  8. #8
    look no hands's Avatar
    look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hedge End, Nowhere near Snock or Eastleigh anymore
    Posts
    8,140
    Yep defo a Supersport carbine, you should be able to unscrew the front of the barrel weight and screw in a special silencer that fitted those models, like said above the C1 was indeed made by Webley.

    Lovely bit of grained Beech on yours.

    Pete
    BSA Supersport Custom Lightning .25 ~ BSA Mercury Challenger Lightning .177 ~ 2 x BSA Mercury S .22 ~ BSA Airsporter S carbine .22 ~ BSA Airsporter RB2 carbine .22 ~ 2 x BSA Challenger .22 ~ Air Arms Prosport .177 ~ Air Arms Combat .22.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Leyland
    Posts
    691
    Thanks Guys, I knew nothing about the gun-or that it could take a silencer (may look into that further), at least I know what model for future parts. As for the C1 being e Webley that is news to me. I just love the look of it...that has made my list. Are they super rare?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    sheffield
    Posts
    5,561

    Thumbs up

    Hi Carl


    It looks a beauty!!

    The Superstar isn't quite as carbined as the Lightning, Also, The Lighnings have the Dampa mount 14mm scope rails fitted as in this pic, Top one is a mk1, Bottom is an XL




    John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

  11. #11
    look no hands's Avatar
    look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hedge End, Nowhere near Snock or Eastleigh anymore
    Posts
    8,140
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi Carl


    It looks a beauty!!

    The Superstar isn't quite as carbined as the Lightning, Also, The Lighnings have the Dampa mount 14mm scope rails fitted as in this pic, Top one is a mk1, Bottom is an XL




    John
    Sorry John but the top one is a later Lightning and the bottom one is a later Lightning XL, the mk1 Lightnings had a stock as in the OP's photo.

    Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 19-04-2018 at 04:49 PM.
    BSA Supersport Custom Lightning .25 ~ BSA Mercury Challenger Lightning .177 ~ 2 x BSA Mercury S .22 ~ BSA Airsporter S carbine .22 ~ BSA Airsporter RB2 carbine .22 ~ 2 x BSA Challenger .22 ~ Air Arms Prosport .177 ~ Air Arms Combat .22.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    sheffield
    Posts
    5,561

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Sorry John but the top one is a later Lightning and the bottom one is a later Lightning XL, the mk1 Lightnings had a stock as in the OP's photo.

    Pete
    Hi Pete

    Both of these had the stocks replaced by a mate of mine, I bought them from him!

    They were beech, He bought two more beech stocks, I think from Knibbs, He decided that he didn't like the replacements so he bought these two stocks, I think he also had to buy the trigger guards as they were different!
    These are walnut but again, He didn't like them as they were too light in colour so he bought some stained oil and applied it, He then decided he didn't like the guns and went and bought four HW100's then bought fancy CS (Of Sheffield) stocks for them!!

    THESE were the stocks, Not sure which were originally on the guns though, I sold them on here six years ago!!

    Just looked at that old post and only one trigger guard must have been required by the look of it!!

    EDIT- They are both newer guns and most likely made in Spain although it says Great Britain on the barrels!!

    I think the top one is still referred to as a mk1 due to the action not being the XL configuration (Most likely i'm wrong though!!)

    EDIT #2- Just looked on the BSA site, Apparently the top one is simply known as the BSA Lightning now!!

    John
    Last edited by johnbaz; 19-04-2018 at 05:42 PM.
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

  13. #13
    look no hands's Avatar
    look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hedge End, Nowhere near Snock or Eastleigh anymore
    Posts
    8,140
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi Pete

    Both of these had the stocks replaced by a mate of mine, I bought them from him!

    They were beech, He bought two more beech stocks, I think from Knibbs, He decided that he didn't like the replacements so he bought these two stocks, I think he also had to buy the trigger guards as they were different!
    These are walnut but again, He didn't like them as they were too light in colour so he bought some stained oil and applied it, He then decided he didn't like the guns and went and bought four HW100's then bought fancy CS (Of Sheffield) stocks for them!!

    THESE were the stocks, Not sure which were originally on the guns though, I sold them on here six years ago!!

    Just looked at that old post and only one trigger guard must have been required by the look of it!!

    EDIT- They are both newer guns and most likely made in Spain although it says Great Britain on the barrels!!

    I think the top one is still referred to as a mk1 due to the action not being the XL configuration (Most likely i'm wrong though!!)

    EDIT #2- Just looked on the BSA site, Apparently the top one is simply known as the BSA Lightning now!!

    John
    Mark one Lightnings (Brum made) look like THIS, the triggers also look like the ones fitted to early Meteors and are solid metal not like the pressed bent steel ones fitted to the later ones, the trigger guards are different and are the bent metal 'rolling wave' style.

    Pete
    BSA Supersport Custom Lightning .25 ~ BSA Mercury Challenger Lightning .177 ~ 2 x BSA Mercury S .22 ~ BSA Airsporter S carbine .22 ~ BSA Airsporter RB2 carbine .22 ~ 2 x BSA Challenger .22 ~ Air Arms Prosport .177 ~ Air Arms Combat .22.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Leyland
    Posts
    691
    Just one last question then please....the 19731 serial number is not connected to a date? Also how much is one worth now?.. do they ever appear in the other calibres?

    Sorry that was a few questions

  15. #15
    look no hands's Avatar
    look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hedge End, Nowhere near Snock or Eastleigh anymore
    Posts
    8,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Just one last question then please....the 19731 serial number is not connected to a date? Also how much is one worth now?.. do they ever appear in the other calibres?

    Sorry that was a few questions
    I believe the serial numbers are not dated and are just a I.D. number, when you mean other calibres, then yes .177, .22, .25 do pop up every now and then, .20 was never a BSA option but there was a few .20 barrels kicking about in the 80's made by certain companies, as for how much they are worth is a bit tricky as they are not overly populer with hardened shooters, as they prefer HW's but being a carbine may add a small amount but barrels are easy to get hold of and can be swapped, I'd say a minter would be in the region of 100-150.

    Pete
    BSA Supersport Custom Lightning .25 ~ BSA Mercury Challenger Lightning .177 ~ 2 x BSA Mercury S .22 ~ BSA Airsporter S carbine .22 ~ BSA Airsporter RB2 carbine .22 ~ 2 x BSA Challenger .22 ~ Air Arms Prosport .177 ~ Air Arms Combat .22.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •