Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webley Senior .22

yes but i started shooting with a webley and there is a touch of all our yesterdays in the question. can you point me in the direction of webleys that are particularly nice to shoot. ps if i were to buy a mark 1 premier would it be .22 or .177 and what would the price be please?
    Last edited by Telephonepete; 20-04-2018 at 06:22 PM.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Telephonepete View Post

yes but i started shooting with a webley and there is a touch of all our yesterdays in the question. can you point me in the direction of webleys that are particularly nice to shoot.
    For me, it has to be one of the pre plastic shrouded steel bodied derivatives (am not too keen on the plastic fantastic models which came in as the 1980s rolled in). All these steal pistols are great fun to plink with, but maybe from a shooters perspective, the best of these is the Premier MK.II -- although the most aesthetically pleasing to hold and own has to be the slant grip curly triggered Senior in either cal. Hope this helps?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

yes but i started shooting with a webley and there is a touch of all our yesterdays in the question. can you point me in the direction of webleys that are particularly nice to shoot. ps if i were to buy a mark 1 premier would it be .22 or .177 and what would the price be please?
    As above, Premier or Hurricane, or a Senior if it has a decent trigger (they vary).

Mk1s are nice to shoot, but harder to cock than the Premier and Senior. Tempests are also nice to shoot, but like Gareth I prefer the earlier steel pistols, and the Hurricane has better sights for precision work.

Premiers I think sell for something like £100 in well-used but shootable condition, a fair bit more as condition improves.

Hurricanes are more like £70-80 in similar condition in a private sale, up to around £160-180 in excellent condition with the box and extras.

Mint examples, rare variants (eg the 1920s straight-grip target model) are a lot more, and, paralleling other vintage/classic stuff appear to have gone up in value in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    As above, Premier or Hurricane, or a Senior if it has a decent trigger (they vary).

Mk1s are nice to shoot, but harder to cock than the Premier and Senior. Tempests are also nice to shoot, but like Gareth I prefer the earlier steel pistols, and the Hurricane has better sights for precision work.

Premiers I think sell for something like £100 in well-used but shootable condition, a fair bit more as condition improves.

Hurricanes are more like £70-80 in similar condition in a private sale, up to around £160-180 in excellent condition with the box and extras.

Mint examples, rare variants (eg the 1920s straight-grip target model) are a lot more, and, paralleling other vintage/classic stuff appear to have gone up in value in recent years.
    thanks all for the info.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    If you want a nice shooting, plinking Webley pistol that is fairly cheap, then I would just buy a cheap Tempest in .22. I have messed around with a few of these (without a chrongraph) and posted on here various thoughts. I even got a ptfe piston head/washer made up to short stroke one.
    If you are not in a mad rush, or post up a wanted add, a Tempest with a bit of a rough finish should turn up for around £50 or so. If you cut 2 or 3 coils off the mainspring, it makes them easier to cock and the trigger a bit better, without losing much in power. You can take the safety catch out and ask Airgunner .177 to make you up a set of walnut grips which will cover the hole. You could even ask him to make a set of Ambi grips, without the thumb shelf. I have put up details of how to tune the trigger on these, which Garvin put up here https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....pest/#post-233.
    I do like the Senior but they can be pricey. Another cheap option is a Junior, which again benefit from a softer (if you can find one) or slightly shorter spring. You may find with older examples of Webley pistols that the little cocking shoe is just about goosed. I have had a few of these pistols that wont cock due to the worn shoe, or will only cock "If you have the knack", which means IT IS GOOSED but if you chimpanzee it the sear may just catch. Cheapo introdution to Webley pistols? A Cheap Tempest and a Cheap mk1 Junior.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"