Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley Senior .22

Webley Senior .22

I currently own a Webley Senior Mk2 that has seen better days, as most of the blueing has worn off and the surface rust has set in. I was thinking of starting a small collection of these pistols but do not really know the best ones to look out for. Any advice on what to look for and whether there are any other models in the Webley range worth collecting would be appreciated.

In my opinion, the earlier pre war models are the ones to look for; the Wood Grip and Tin Grip Juniors, although the Wood Grip model is very hard to find, the Straight Grip Mk.1, Straight Grip Senior and the Mk.11 Target, pre war Slant Grip Mk.1 and Senior. These are at the more expensive end, of the Webley Air Pistols, although the Wood Grip Mk.1 can often be found at a reasonable price as quite a few still survive, but the more modern models, the post war Slant Grip Mk.1 and Senior, the Premier, Junior, Typhoon, Hurricane, Tempest, are all readily available at reasonable prices.
    Boxed examples can command quite a premium on the unboxed examples, and condition is everything.
    These are the basics of any serious Webley Air Pistol collection, but there are some variations as well.
    If you intend to get serious, The Gordon Bruce book 'Webley Air Pistols' might be a worthwhile purchase.
    I'm sure others will have their own ideas on what constitutes the ideal Webley Air Pistol collection, but good luck with whatever you decide to go for.

Bruce book

The Gordon Bruce book is an excellent investment. £40 new off Amazon, or around £30 used. It will help you work out what you want to collect, answer questions you discover, and probably pay for itself in terms of helping you not buy the wrong things.

Quote Originally Posted by Balintore View Post
    I was thinking of starting a small collection of these pistols

yes thats how it starts
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

The Gordon Bruce book is an excellent investment. £40 new off Amazon, or around £30 used. It will help you work out what you want to collect, answer questions you discover, and probably pay for itself in terms of helping you not buy the wrong things.
    ^^^^ this 100% ^^^^

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post

yes thats how it starts
    ^^^^ and this 100%, too ^^^^

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Thumbs up

I have a few Webbo overlevers and have to say I love em, I prefer the feel of the slant grip though, The straight gripped ones are much less comfy to hold!

Some of those have gone now but have been replaced by more!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    yes thats how it starts
    .....and rarely ever finishes
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

This is my Webley Air Pistol display case: Pistols

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    This is my Webley Air Pistol display case: Pistols
    Drool!
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Ditto & double drool. God they're cool.

Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post

Oh you're gonna go straight to Hell Mr Jones, straight to Hell I tells ya.

stepping slightly sideways

not from a collecting point of view but as a pistol to own for shooting. which is the best pistol of all the webley range and not power mad at all but what ft lb can they shoot at.

Quote Originally Posted by Telephonepete View Post
    not from a collecting point of view but as a pistol to own for shooting. which is the best pistol of all the webley range and not power mad at all but what ft lb can they shoot at.
    As a shooting proposition, most people on here I think would plump for the Mk1 Premier, which probably has the nicest trigger, others for the Hurricane with its click-adjustable sights.

In terms of power, the little smoothbore Junior struggles to make 1.5 ft-lbs.

Mk1s and Premiers are more like 2-3.

Seniors, Hurricanes and Tempests according to official Webley velocity figures are around 3.5 ft-lbs, but the last two can be tuned to 4 or a bit more - export Tempests sent to the US for sale by Beeman often ran hotter than standard, having a more powerful spring.

I think the Turkish Tempests were also made with a more powerful spring (but they are generally not as nice as Birmingham ones).

Honestly (and I like Webley pistols and have four of them), if you want a classic spring pistol that shoots decent scores on a 10M target, there are better choices (eg the Diana model 5). If you want oomph, with a fair degree of accuracy, the BSA Scorpion or HW45 do that better.