Thread: Lightweight springer for lightly built pensioner

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The calibre thing is something that's pretty set in his mind. He had his old Original in .177 and was later talked into getting an Airsporter in .22. In his words it was s*not very good*! Mental block on that - he hates .22's!

Edit - No CO2 unfortunately. I was thinking about a Ratcatcher but he wants a break barrel. At 70+ he's set in his ways and that won't change!
    Big guns, little guns and others in between...

As mentioned in an earlier reply, I would go for a BSA Light Pattern. Or a Meteor. Or a Lightning (the older type - plenty for sale s/h). My Light Pattern is built like a tank (it has survived for a long time), and it shoots well. Pretty light cocking effort. About 5 fpe in .177. So that's a tad lower than your request. But it will be absolutely fine for your father's use. Above that, it will hold its value, or even go up in value. I bought mine recently for 150 pounds, in excellent condition (restored, but I'm fine with that). My Meteor is nice too. I prefer the Lightning though. You will need a full length barrel on the Lightning to cock it easily, or a silencer fitted to a carbine barrel. My .22 Lightning has now got a .177 barrel, which reduced the power from about 10.5 fpe to 8.5 fpe. I prefer it in .177.
    I find HW's to be heavy in comparison to the BSA's. The Light Pattern is really nice and light - what's in a name. Don't tell your father that it is also called the Ladies pattern. Being a modern man, that doesn't worry me too much.
    Cheers, Louis

Some good suggestions. Let me add the older "Original" Diana 27. Weight just under 6lbs, about 7 ft-lbs of power, nice trigger (when properly adjusted), cocks easily, and both decently accurate and well made.

.22 as calibre cos, imho, rats don’t always hang around long enough in the garden to get the perfect bead on them.
    A HW30 with .22 Hobbys tends to do the business every time.

Also great fun for plinking.
    Hobbys in my 30s are like the bumblebee, theoretically crap at flying due to design but beautifully accurate in reality
    Last edited by Riffler; 17-04-2018 at 04:34 PM.

A Hw30s would be my choice, I just got one myself and found it to be a cracking little rifle.
    My one as no galling issues and shoots nice and sweet,it's in .177 cal.
    Atb
    Les..