Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight springer for lightly built pensioner

Lightweight springer for lightly built pensioner

Hi all. I'm not a big poster on here these days and am a bit out of touch with the airgun scene, so I'm hoping you may be able to help me with this please.

My father has decided that after many years of work, kids, fishing and the like, that he'd like to get back into shooting. He's a lightly built just over 5' chap, still healthy but I think he'd struggle to swing my HW80 around, and he doesn't want to use a PCP so that's my HW100 out too. He wants a wood stocked, break barrel .177 with iron sights. It needn't be powerful as he's thinking he may shoot the odd rat from under the shed now and again, but will mainly be shooting targets in the garden - 20 yards tops. He will of course get the hang of targets before taking on anything living, he's a country lad born and bred so no worries there.

I've been out of the airgun scene for a good while. I shoot centrefire rifle mainly and that's where my interest lies. So I don't really know what's about and what would be good for him? The gun would need to be relatively old fashioned - I've showed him the latest BSA supersport and he doesn't like it. Not sure I do either, but you can see where this is going! The HW30S looks great but I'm not sure if he'd be better off with a rifle that the safety catch could be operated manually, and more importantly be able to be reapplied.

What's out there now? I'm aiming at sub 6lbs, not big and anything about above 6ft-lbs muzzle energy should do what he's asking. The main thing is to meet those specs - traditional wood stock, iron sights, break barrel. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Budget, well for the specs he's looking for I'd imagine most things will be ok. He said he'd be happy to pay up to about £400 - I'm pretty sure he doesn't need to!
    Big guns, little guns and others in between...

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    An Weihrauch HW30S would do the trick nicely. Only thing is they need to be stripped and have the cocking slot etc deburred etc. Ask tinbum about one. There may be a nice secondhand one kicking around on Sales. For this purpose it would be ideal once fettled.

Alternatively, a Diana model 240 Classic T05.

http://shootingsports.edgarbrothers....assic-T05.aspx
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 17-04-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    HW30S is a good choice. Safeties obviously should not be relied upon anyways.

My Dad's reluctantly decided to sell his TX in favour of something lighter and easier to cock, so we went though a few in my cabinet. The old pre-war BSA underlever - an "L" (light) is especially suitable. The HW95 (full length) was also fine, but the 99S was toughter to cock.

I also picked up an old meteor Mk1 the other day at kempton - absolute bargain, decent trigger (many are not so good), stripped and relubed; only 7 FP just now, but so accurate at 10 yards with opens I have no intention of changing the spring.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

HW30
    HW50/99

all in "s" would have the better Rekord trigger
    at those ranges and tasks......22 would be much better for what he has in mind.....mild mannered recoil compared to .177.....just as accurate ......better stopping power than 177
    all easier to cock that their bigger brothers

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffler View Post
    HW30
    HW50/99

all in "s" would have the better Rekord trigger
    at those ranges and tasks......22 would be much better for what he has in mind.....mild mannered recoil compared to .177.....just as accurate ......better stopping power than 177
    all easier to cock that their bigger brothers
    Not sure I agree on calibre - for the same spring, the .177 will generate less energy, but will recoil similarly. If you are talking about both rifles being the same power, sure, but I don't think power is what's needed for 20 yards with open sights.

I might however consider .22 purely from the perspective of being less fidly, if that's a concern, but otherwise .177 will be cheaper to feed and have less trajectory, which is handy if you have low power and open sights.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    The HW30s and to an extent the HW99s fit your bill, however the engineering on these does leave a lot to be desired. They have big galling issues which IMO must be sorted before you do any serious shooting with them. Some people downplay this fault but it's no joke, the rifle will destroy itself without remedial work. Also the HW30s I bought a little while ago had an offset dovetail at the front sight, meaning I had to go out and buy an air arms front sight before I could use it for its intended purpose.

Would he consider a CO2 rifle?
    Good deals with these members

The calibre thing is something that's pretty set in his mind. He had his old Original in .177 and was later talked into getting an Airsporter in .22. In his words it was s*not very good*! Mental block on that - he hates .22's!

Edit - No CO2 unfortunately. I was thinking about a Ratcatcher but he wants a break barrel. At 70+ he's set in his ways and that won't change!

As mentioned in an earlier reply, I would go for a BSA Light Pattern. Or a Meteor. Or a Lightning (the older type - plenty for sale s/h). My Light Pattern is built like a tank (it has survived for a long time), and it shoots well. Pretty light cocking effort. About 5 fpe in .177. So that's a tad lower than your request. But it will be absolutely fine for your father's use. Above that, it will hold its value, or even go up in value. I bought mine recently for 150 pounds, in excellent condition (restored, but I'm fine with that). My Meteor is nice too. I prefer the Lightning though. You will need a full length barrel on the Lightning to cock it easily, or a silencer fitted to a carbine barrel. My .22 Lightning has now got a .177 barrel, which reduced the power from about 10.5 fpe to 8.5 fpe. I prefer it in .177.
    I find HW's to be heavy in comparison to the BSA's. The Light Pattern is really nice and light - what's in a name. Don't tell your father that it is also called the Ladies pattern. Being a modern man, that doesn't worry me too much.
    Cheers, Louis

Some good suggestions. Let me add the older "Original" Diana 27. Weight just under 6lbs, about 7 ft-lbs of power, nice trigger (when properly adjusted), cocks easily, and both decently accurate and well made.

.22 as calibre cos, imho, rats don’t always hang around long enough in the garden to get the perfect bead on them.
    A HW30 with .22 Hobbys tends to do the business every time.

Also great fun for plinking.
    Hobbys in my 30s are like the bumblebee, theoretically crap at flying due to design but beautifully accurate in reality
    Last edited by Riffler; 17-04-2018 at 04:34 PM.

A Hw30s would be my choice, I just got one myself and found it to be a cracking little rifle.
    My one as no galling issues and shoots nice and sweet,it's in .177 cal.
    Atb
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by njc110381 View Post
    Hi all. I'm not a big poster on here these days and am a bit out of touch with the airgun scene, so I'm hoping you may be able to help me with this please.

My father has decided that after many years of work, kids, fishing and the like, that he'd like to get back into shooting. He's a lightly built just over 5' chap, still healthy but I think he'd struggle to swing my HW80 around, and he doesn't want to use a PCP so that's my HW100 out too. He wants a wood stocked, break barrel .177 with iron sights. It needn't be powerful as he's thinking he may shoot the odd rat from under the shed now and again, but will mainly be shooting targets in the garden - 20 yards tops. He will of course get the hang of targets before taking on anything living, he's a country lad born and bred so no worries there.

I've been out of the airgun scene for a good while. I shoot centrefire rifle mainly and that's where my interest lies. So I don't really know what's about and what would be good for him? The gun would need to be relatively old fashioned - I've showed him the latest BSA supersport and he doesn't like it. Not sure I do either, but you can see where this is going! The HW30S looks great but I'm not sure if he'd be better off with a rifle that the safety catch could be operated manually, and more importantly be able to be reapplied.

What's out there now? I'm aiming at sub 6lbs, not big and anything about above 6ft-lbs muzzle energy should do what he's asking. The main thing is to meet those specs - traditional wood stock, iron sights, break barrel. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Budget, well for the specs he's looking for I'd imagine most things will be ok. He said he'd be happy to pay up to about £400 - I'm pretty sure he doesn't need to!
    I'd have a GOOD look at a slightly toned down Cometa Fenix 400 .......
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Nobody likes an HW95? Light, easy to cock, superb trigger, and very nice firing cycle in .22, especially if detuned to under 10 ft pounds.

That Cometa looks nice. A bit heavy though perhaps? Not far off of my HW80 I wouldn't have thought?

I'm surprised at the comments about the lack of manufacturing finesse on the HW30. What's that about then?! Weihrauch make some lovely guns. My 100 is nice as is the 80, and the 97 I had before them was outstanding. Could it be a case that no matter what you buy, things just aren't made like they used to be?

What are BSA guns like these days? I'm looking at their Supersport SE - not too modern looking and I prefer the BSA safety. Could be a bit lively for him but down tuning isn't hard if he finds it difficult to cock.

Edit - I see on BSA's website that they come in different power options. Not sure if that's an international thing depending on local laws or if I can order a 10 joule one? That would be spot on if I could.
    Last edited by njc110381; 17-04-2018 at 05:47 PM.