Thread: Dioptre sight mystery

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dioptre sight mystery

Good day. I wonder if I can seek advice about dioptre sights. I am not a 10m rifle shooter so have very little experience of dioptres. My main experience comes from a Webley Service and I cannot count that as relevant.
    I have recently refurbished an LGR that came with no sights. I am looking for a suitable set to complete the rifle but am getting confused as to what I should look for as I am getting puzzled over the various fitting methods. My LGR appears to have standard 11mm scope rails but I am not convinced all dioptres are made to fit this standard. I have googled etc for Walther LGR dioptres but so far have not found anything that I am convinced would fit. I thought a set made for a Diana 66 might fit but information received has cast doubt on that.
    Can anyone advise me on what to look for. I am not looking to spent a fortune and may well end up getting a set of the Air Arms sights at about £30 if I can find nothing more original (no pun intended).
    If anyone has a suitable set that you are willing to sell to a good home, please let me know.
    Cheers, Phil

Hi Phil,

I have a genuine Walther diopter rear sight that came from an LGR Match and can probably also find the correct front sight tunnel for you too!

If you are interested please contact me by PM or email and I can send you some picture so you can see they are the genuine items.

Best regards,

Bob.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Dovetails on target rifles despite looking and supposedly measuring the same will differ enough for things not to fit. If you look at a shop like Intershoot you'll see that when you select a fore or rearsight it will ask you the make of rifle to ensure they send you the version which will fit.

So you'll want something that's been made for a walther, either walther own brand or a sight or set of sights made to fit one. Most big makes like Centra and indeed Anschutz have versions to fit.

Thanks Rob... I am learning slowly so the information is most useful. It is good of you to 'spell it out' as it were. I had, almost, assumed that was the case because of the various bits of information on adverts for sights. Strange how it is these basic bits of information that you need to find out from those who know as I have not seen it specifically written down. So thank you.

Cheers, Phil

Unfortunately the LGR and its rival the 300S have sights that are now "non standard " The front mounting dovetail is nearer 9mm or 3/8". You need a machine shop or if desparate epoxy a standard sight raiser block to the front to match one fitted to the rear.
    Moral of the tale is never buy a vintage gun without sights as it usually costs more than the rifle is worth to replace them.
    I just sold an LGR for £200 but broken up I could have made more selling you the sights and selling the stock to the other member on here!
    Last edited by TenMetrePeter; 25-04-2018 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TenMetrePeter View Post
    Unfortunately the LGR and its rival the 300S have sights that are now "non standard " The front mounting dovetail is nearer 9mm or 3/8". You need a machine shop or if desparate epoxy a standard sight raiser block to the front to match one fitted to the rear.
    Moral of the tale is never buy a vintage gun without sights as it usually costs more than the rifle is worth to replace them.
    I just sold an LGR for £200 but broken up I could have made more selling you the sights and selling the stock to the other member on here!
    One of life's little learning curves, I guess.
    On the plus side, the rifle did not work when I got it but I really enjoyed resealing it and seeing it work on spec after I had done so. And I now know what a 'puffer seal' is.
    Cheers, Phil