Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dioptre sight mystery

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Thanks Robin.
    Were there fakes around? The so called Walther Sport I saw was clearly marked with the Walther name. There was only one thumbwheel. A bolt on the LH side passed through the LH sight side and screwed into the thumbwheel; this was into a threaded 'tube' that was part of the thumbwheel and passed from the RH side of the sight across the dovetails. On fitting to the LGR, this threaded tube clearly just contacted the top of the LGR cylinder so that when the thumbwheel was turned the 'tube' in contact with the LGR cylinder moved the sight along the rails.
    The mysteries deepen.
    Cheers, Phil
    No Fakes, if it was marked Walther then it is one, or at least one of the cheapo Chinese ones they had made for a while and with drew, If the cross screw had a tube on it, it was either an LGV sight or small bore sight to lock in a grove which both had in the dovetail had to stop the sight moving under recoil. None I have had a squeeze up grip, and I have LGV, LGR, and modern ones, it may be some ones bodge up, or possibly a very early small bore sight. can you send a pic to my email?

Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Phil

Just done some research, some of the very early Walther small bore sights had a split clamp fitting, but its a real golden oldie, probably 50's!

Have Fun

Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Phil

Just done some research, some of the very early Walther small bore sights had a split clamp fitting, but its a real golden oldie, probably 50's!

Have Fun

Robin
    Sorry, no photo. Golden Oldie (like me??). Does that mean it is valuable? Maybe I should try and acquire it?
    The thumb screw was threaded 4mm and was a typical thumb screw with a threaded 'tube' extension about 6mm diameter (as part of the thumbscrew) that went through the rh side of the sight. The 4mm 'bolt' then screwed into this extension. The tube was long enough to almost reach the lh side of the sight, but not quite, so as to allow room for tightening the sides of the sight. The bolt was about 30mm long and was at some point, I guess, fixed to the thumbscrew extension by a clip to prevent the thumbscrew from being fully removed. Looking down the dovetail slots on the underside of the sight I could see that the tube extension was just visible along the dovetail grooves. This caused the tube extension to just contact the curved cylinder/dovetail top on the LGR. It may have been possible to reduce the outer diameter of the tube to give clearance for the cylinder. I guess about 0.25mm would have done it. On another point, it was not possible to get the sight on the LGR dovetail without springing them with a 'tool'. They could not be slid on from an end because of the position of the dovetail on the cylinder and the cylinder end cap.

Oh what fun.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Thanks for the info Richard. I think (?) the SMK dioptre is the same as the one Air Arms sell?
    No very different design. But similar "quality" if that's the right word.
    The Air Arms one will not take standard irises as the thread is 9mm not 9.5mm I dont know about the SMK.

Not worth a lot, but at least you now have the correct Walther LGR set from Bob. Air arms and cheapo sights are really not worth the effort, they look like sights, but there it ends!
    The ten metre rifle ten dot is 0.5 mm, the backlash and slack on the cheap sights produce an inaccuracy several times over that, you get what you pay for with sights.

The original LGR and LGV sight although a course adjustment by modern standards are a very good and tight sight, I have a couple I use on rifles for small juniors, as they are short and let a shorter person do an over the sight pre zero check, where some of the modern ones are too tall for that. The modern trend is towards smaller sights which aids pre sighting, and also aids balance, as there is a wider view, but you are now looking closer to upwards of £400 for a top spec modern sight, although I strongly favour the Gehmann compact at £140 ish as the best buy value for money. We've used those for everything, and my wife currently has one on her 300 metre Keppeler.

Have Fun
    Robin