Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: budget air rifle for pest control

budget air rifle for pest control

Hi,

I have a serious issue with rats at the moment using my garden as a run between the takeaways and flats my garden back on to. Today was the final straw, they have begun to dig under my shed! Filled the hole with rubble but I need to sort this problem out

I did contacted my local council but they were no help and said they have already put traps down in the alleyways.

Yesterday I saw one around 6 meters from my back door and it was still daylight

Can someone recommended me a budget rifle that will take care of the job.

thanks
    Beretta 92 FS Nickel, CP88 Nickel, S&W 6" 4", HW45, Modified Baikal IZH 61, Shinny Benjamin Sheridan E9A, Crosman 2240 ...

At ahort range, just about anything will do.

You could even fit a shoulder stock to the 2240.

Budget springers from Hatsan and Gamo would do you proud. With the Gamos, I'd personally want to stick to the models with the traditional steel breech block as opposed to synthetic. I have a Vipermax which punches well above its station. And I seem to think you can get a new Shadow (I think it's the same action?) from McAvoy's for around £110 brand new.

Pretty sure that many of the SMKs would also do the job admirably, but I have virtually zero first hand experience of them.

Used BSA Meteors, Webley Vulcans etc etc would all be fine. Lots of options.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    What price do you class as budget??
    Master Debater

A lot depends on your skill, particularly with a springer

If you can accurately shoot a springer that would be the obvious answer because they're a self contained unit & the cheapest option.

A pcp will cost more, you'll also need a pump to fill it, but the main benefit is they have no recoil bounce so are easy to shoot in comparison.

Your best bet might be a CO2 powered rifle which will be cheaper to buy but will cost a bit more to use buying CO2 canisters, but like the pcp there's no recoil bounce.

You will need a Rifle NOT A PISTOL & you want a small scope rather than "iron sights", in .22 rather than .177.
    Where possible shoot down from an upstairs window so the ground is your backstop & practice until you can hit a 10p size target every time only then consider shooting living creatures, & shoot them in the head.

Rats wise up very quickly & you might need to put out bait to make them stop to take the shot.

Remington express is in my opinion the best budget springer available at the moment then probably the hatsans mod55/60 but they seem to have taken a price hike and to me they are just too expensive at £160+

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    At ahort range, just about anything will do.

You could even fit a shoulder stock to the 2240.

Budget springers from Hatsan and Gamo would do you proud. With the Gamos, I'd personally want to stick to the models with the traditional steel breech block as opposed to synthetic. I have a Vipermax which punches well above its station. And I seem to think you can get a new Shadow (I think it's the same action?) from McAvoy's for around £110 brand new.

Pretty sure that many of the SMKs would also do the job admirably, but I have virtually zero first hand experience of them.

Used BSA Meteors, Webley Vulcans etc etc would all be fine. Lots of options.
    Cheers TonyL I was thinking about using the 2240 with a stock but I have a valid excuse to buy a new toy I will take a look at the Shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    What price do you class as budget??
    I would say £150 is my max.

cheers
    Beretta 92 FS Nickel, CP88 Nickel, S&W 6" 4", HW45, Modified Baikal IZH 61, Shinny Benjamin Sheridan E9A, Crosman 2240 ...

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by sensi5446 View Post
    Cheers TonyL I was thinking about using the 2240 with a stock but I have a valid excuse to buy a new toy I will take a look at the Shadow.

cheers
    At £150 in my opinion I would say go second hand. At short distance maybe a 2250 CO2 Ratcatcher or a cheap Weihrauch spring powered rifle ? Apologies please if I’m teaching to ‘suck eggs’ but get good accuracy practice in before taking a live kill
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    For £200 you can get the HW30S kit.

That comes with junior size rifle, 4X scope and mounts.

Small is good good for keeping in the kitchen ready to shoot.
    Master Debater

cheers
    I've just had a look at the McAvoy's site and the new Shadow is priced at £111,

If it is the same action as my Vipermax (and guessing here that it is), it will be well up to the task. Synthetic stock, too. My Vipermax is completely standard. It does boing a fair bit, but you get used to it. The trigger is usable, breech lock-up is nice and solid and it doesn't move about much at all upon firing. At the recent Boinger Bash it was consistently hitting the "Quigley Bucket" at 75 yards, target size approx 6x6 cm? And smaller spinners absolute child's play at up to 50 yards. On paper at 20 yards, easily sub 1/2 inch edge to edge groups.

Very underrated, in my opinion.

As other fine people have said, get the practice in until you can consistently shoot the tight groups required for a clean, humane kill.
    Last edited by TonyL; 18-04-2018 at 09:11 PM.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Webley alecto with shoulder stock will do. They are dead accurate with no recoil, well built too

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    A lot depends on your skill, particularly with a springer

If you can accurately shoot a springer that would be the obvious answer because they're a self contained unit & the cheapest option.

A pcp will cost more, you'll also need a pump to fill it, but the main benefit is they have no recoil bounce so are easy to shoot in comparison.

Your best bet might be a CO2 powered rifle which will be cheaper to buy but will cost a bit more to use buying CO2 canisters, but like the pcp there's no recoil bounce.

You will need a Rifle NOT A PISTOL & you want a small scope rather than "iron sights", in .22 rather than .177.
    Where possible shoot down from an upstairs window so the ground is your backstop & practice until you can hit a 10p size target every time only then consider shooting living creatures, & shoot them in the head.

Rats wise up very quickly & you might need to put out bait to make them stop to take the shot.
    Thanks angrybear, you may be right regarding a springier as I was already thinking of shooting down from the bedroom window and this will put me at an awkward angle then I'm normally use to (flat) plus I have a few boxes of CO2 canisters in the shed It goes without saying that I will be practising in the day hitting dead targets before I try any live, I will also be using bait to keep them still, probably cat food.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyw1987 View Post
    Remington express is in my opinion the best budget springer available at the moment then probably the hatsans mod55/60 but they seem to have taken a price hike and to me they are just too expensive at £160+
    Thanks Mattyw1987, I will give that a look.

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    At £150 in my opinion I would say go second hand. At short distance maybe a 2250 CO2 Ratcatcher or a cheap Weihrauch spring powered rifle ? Apologies please if I’m teaching to ‘suck eggs’ but get good accuracy practice in before taking a live kill
    Thanks NewPaul, practice will be taken. I've just ordered some mk4 fenn traps, I will be giving these a try as well, on the weekend I will fence of the areas I can see they are coming in at and lay the traps. Not a fan of the traps as I have small children, dogs and also other wildlife but if I close off the area with chicken wire so the only way in it through the runs it should be OK.

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Thanks angrybear, you may be right regarding a springier as I was already thinking of shooting down from the bedroom window and this will put me at an awkward angle then I'm normally use to (flat) plus I have a few boxes of CO2 canisters in the shed It goes without saying that I will be practising in the day hitting dead targets before I try any live, I will also be using bait to keep them still, probably cat food.

Thanks Mattyw1987, I will give that a look.

Thanks NewPaul, practice will be taken. I've just ordered some mk4 fenn traps, I will be giving these a try as well, on the weekend I will fence of the areas I can see they are coming in at and lay the traps. Not a fan of the traps as I have small children, dogs and also other wildlife but if I close off the area with chicken wire so the only way in it through the runs it should be OK.
    Hey, have fun Sensi and safe shooting, give those Roland’s a good going over mate. Pellets beat traps everytime
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Hi,

I have a serious issue with rats at the moment using my garden as a run between the takeaways and flats my garden back on to. Today was the final straw, they have begun to dig under my shed! Filled the hole with rubble but I need to sort this problem out

I did contacted my local council but they were no help and said they have already put traps down in the alleyways.

Yesterday I saw one around 6 meters from my back door and it was still daylight

Can someone recommended me a budget rifle that will take care of the job.

thanks
    Just a quickie, not rifle advise.
    If you want to block a hole that rats are using, stuff wire wool in it. I once had a problem with them chewing through 18mm WBP ply - used the wire wool and it stopped them in their tracks. (They did find somewhere else though)

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.

cheers
    SMK CP2 in rifle mode!.....mines getting rid of pigeons like you wouldn't believe!

Comes with 2 x 9 shot mags! and a single shot tray, and a 10mm mod, which works(just)

I pick this up before my HW100 or my DS Regal!!!

Short, light, accurate, very pointable, and with a 1/2" unf mod adaptor, seriously quiet.

And IIRC should be around your budget.

HTH.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    At £150 in my opinion I would say go second hand..a cheap Weihrauch spring powered rifle ?:
    Very good point, Pauly. This sort of budget may net a half tidy HW95. It would certainly get you a very example of the classic HW35, pocket rocket '99 or the super-sweet little 30S.