Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you are easily offended don't look!

If you are easily offended don't look!

Yep I paid money for this, allways wanted one to restore but this has been through the works! Internally its all good but externally well it looks like its been left in a ditch!

Looking forward to seeing how you work on this.

I love giving them a new life. Just another day at the office.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Share your secrets Baz

The metal could be professionally restored and reblacked to look new.... unless it has sentimental value though the cost would exceed the finished value.

A sad reality that comes up all too often
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Its the first inch of the barrel thats really bad, the rest should be salvageable just thinking of options for the end as to just chop and crown or fill and file.

I have too much on to start it for now but when i get going i will keep the pictures coming.

I would like to see how you go about the restoration. It helps mortals like myself. GGGR is always breathing new life into old guns and it is fascinating

Quote Originally Posted by rovercoupe View Post
    Its the first inch of the barrel thats really bad, the rest should be salvageable just thinking of options for the end as to just chop and crown or fill and file.

I have too much on to start it for now but when i get going i will keep the pictures coming.
    I've refurbished worse guns than that before mate. I once had a mk1 80 and it looked like it had been dragged out the river after being there for years. I ended up using a flapper disc all over it before using 60 grit emery cloth, then 120 and eventually 1500 wet n dry. Then buffing on a polisher before reblacking.
    You would never have known how it looked before.
    It's well worth the effort.
    This isn't the 80, but a 35e I did which was pretty bad.
    I'm not selling myself here by the way, I've stopped doing it now. This is to show you that more or less anything can be saved with the right techniques.
    Fozzy.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/124581.../shares/17821c
    Last edited by fozzy45; 18-04-2018 at 10:10 PM.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Great job Fozzy!
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Share your secrets Baz
    No secret, do it every week, shared it so many times on here people must be fed up with it.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 19-04-2018 at 06:52 AM. Reason: add pics
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Now that is amazing! What a transformation!! Did you paint that or blue it?

After the hard bit the secret lies in the plastic bottle under the barrel in the picture.

G96 gun blue creme.

Baz introduced me to this and it works very well ,even when I use it!

thanks guys that gives me faith its a job that's doable!
    Just on the buffing front, i have never done it so whats the procedure for that? I have a small bench grinder that can be converted to polishing duties.

Quote Originally Posted by rovercoupe View Post
    thanks guys that gives me faith its a job that's doable!
    Just on the buffing front, i have never done it so whats the procedure for that? I have a small bench grinder that can be converted to polishing duties.
    Go onto fleabay and buy a buffer kit with hard and soft buffer with polish. I got some diamond polishing soap from where I worked and use that. Use the black hard polisher first then change over to the white soft polisher to bright polish it.
    BUT, the main key here is to get out every bit of pitting out because it WILL show up when blacked. Don't be talked into using any cold blues, they're all crap and will go dull in a short period of time. Hot chemical blacking is the ONLY way to get a life long finish on the action. Trust me, I've been doing it for many years. I've used many of the cold blues and wouldn't ever use them again.
    Ask Mach1.5 on here, he's the last person I did a job for before packing my equipment away.
    Fozzy

I am in the process of setting up for hot bluing so once its mastered It will be getting a hot blue.

I did a old Ithaca with cold blue a few years ago and its the only gun to ever take a cold blue well all the others have been ok but not great.
    Buffing kit is next on the list then!