Thread: Not used for a long time - strip or use?

Not used for a long time - strip or use?

If you bought a spring air rifle like a TX200 Mk1 that has been in storage for say 10 years, would you strip and lubricate or try it first as it is?

The rifle cocks smoothly and seems well cared for externally if that makes any difference...

I am not sure, but thinking about it, a rifle could potentially be stuck in a shop for a few years before it's used so lubricants shouldn't deteriorate that quickly?

Has anyone had any experiences?

Thanks.

Hi Piotr,
    I haven't any experience with the mk1 but if it's as easy to strip as the later models you have nothing to lose by having a look inside and checking all is ok.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    It will take less time to strip and relube than it took you to post this question - easy choice
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thanks Gary and Jon, except it's not a Mk1 TX I have just used it as an example as it's of similar age...

I think we need to know what it is to be able to advise. Some rifles have seals or buffer washers that can turn to cheese!
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I must admit to doing an external examination, including removing stock then, if nothing is glaringly wrong, getting the chrono out and trying just one shot to get a feel for how it is.
    Then proceed based on the experience; but I would most likely then delve a little deeper.
    Cheers, Phil

It should be ok - why not work the cocking lever back and forth to see if it seems ok and then try a test shot or two down it.

I had an Original 45 that was unused for some 20 years and then I fired it and it found a thin plume of smoke in the barrel from the oil, presumably within the washer. This has, as I understand it, a leather washer and it had not dried out, despite being in a heated house during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    I think we need to know what it is to be able to advise. Some rifles have seals or buffer washers that can turn to cheese!
    The gun is a prototype hence my cryptic description. I'll post some pictures of it soon.
    Last edited by nurek; 28-04-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Ooooooh, very intriguing

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    The gun is a prototype hence my cryptic description. I'll post some pictures of it soon.
    lol, made by KT ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    lol, made by KT ?
    Quite possibly Jon
    Last edited by nurek; 28-04-2018 at 01:22 PM.

I'll tell you what (as I am such a nice guy) post me the rifle and I will take a few pics and post them on this thread for you. You may not get it back though......

Not used

Should come apart like a 77 if it's what I'm thinking!! Glad you got it in the end. Mach 1.5