Thread: If you are easily offended don't look!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    After the hard bit the secret lies in the plastic bottle under the barrel in the picture.

G96 gun blue creme.

Baz introduced me to this and it works very well ,even when I use it!

thanks guys that gives me faith its a job that's doable!
    Just on the buffing front, i have never done it so whats the procedure for that? I have a small bench grinder that can be converted to polishing duties.

Quote Originally Posted by rovercoupe View Post
    thanks guys that gives me faith its a job that's doable!
    Just on the buffing front, i have never done it so whats the procedure for that? I have a small bench grinder that can be converted to polishing duties.
    Go onto fleabay and buy a buffer kit with hard and soft buffer with polish. I got some diamond polishing soap from where I worked and use that. Use the black hard polisher first then change over to the white soft polisher to bright polish it.
    BUT, the main key here is to get out every bit of pitting out because it WILL show up when blacked. Don't be talked into using any cold blues, they're all crap and will go dull in a short period of time. Hot chemical blacking is the ONLY way to get a life long finish on the action. Trust me, I've been doing it for many years. I've used many of the cold blues and wouldn't ever use them again.
    Ask Mach1.5 on here, he's the last person I did a job for before packing my equipment away.
    Fozzy

I am in the process of setting up for hot bluing so once its mastered It will be getting a hot blue.

I did a old Ithaca with cold blue a few years ago and its the only gun to ever take a cold blue well all the others have been ok but not great.
    Buffing kit is next on the list then!

Buy good quality polishing soaps. It's pays in the end.
    Rust never sleeps !

Is it possible to hot blue a gun at home? I have seen the cold blue/plum brown used but not the hot process....I am not sure what that even is

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Is it possible to hot blue a gun at home? I have seen the cold blue/plum brown used but not the hot process....I am not sure what that even is
    It's not really practical unless you have loads of room for tanks. The tank temperature runs at 140 degrees. Then you need a degreasing tank and a swilling off tank.
    Fozzy

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post

Hot bluing involves heating the polished gun in a strongly alkaline bath containing caustic soda and certain oxdising agents. It gives the deep ebony black found on modern guns, although it is possible to get a bluer black if you known a "secret" recipe.

I have been home hot bluing airguns at sporadic intervals for almost thirty years (mainly pistols, but a few rifles), so it is perfectly feasible if you take extreme care in handlng the chemicals. After a couple of dodgy starts I have never had any problems with uneven finish, and it can be a very forgiving process compared to other types of bluing.

The important thing for the small scale hobbyist is to have a container just big enough to take what you want to blue, and so keep the volume of bluing solution to the absolute minimum. Then when you have finished a job you can easily transfer the solution to a plastic container and store it indefinitely and safely until the next time. Degreasing is also straightforward, and again using the right shape and size solvent soaking bath in order to keep solvent volume to a minimum is the order of the day. You also need one or two small electric hotplates and a stainless steel meat thermometer. Everything you need is purchasable from fleabay.

The hard part is getting a reliable chemical bath recipe and heating sequence, which I can help with if you are interested.

It does not look to bad to me from the images. A bit of time and elbow grease and she'll be good. Though I have never reblued a gun fully before. Always wondered how you do it