Thread: Nikko sterling panamax.... When is a mil dot a mil dot!!??

Nikko sterling panamax.... When is a mil dot a mil dot!!??

Just wanted to know at what mag the mil dots are true in the Nikko sterling panamax 3-9..(I know this may not be possible if they are true @10x if you know what I mean, Just so I can calibrated my chairgun numbers to fit.)
    Thanks all
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Usually 10X which is completely useless on a 3-9X, don't for the life of me understand why they do that...
    .22 S410...
    .22 Webley Xocet...
    .22 HW95k...

Don't know about the Panamax, but I gather that a fair few of the cheaper "mil-dot" scopes aren't true mil-dots, they are just scopes with dots on the reticle.

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    Usually 10X which is completely useless on a 3-9X, don't for the life of me understand why they do that...
    Works with chairgun... This will show the target on any mag of a "10x" mil dot scope.
    Last edited by rhyslightnin; 19-04-2018 at 06:11 PM.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

imorik is offline I stick my head out and take it on the chin.
    Checked my panamax and it's true at 9x mag (well as near as i could tell with a bit of scope wobblle). It makes no difference anyway, use scope at whatever mag suits and stick to it. Paper targets set out at distances you shoot at and make note of impact point in mildots. You can download targets with half mil dot reticle on it which is true at the distance stated on the target. Simply set target at that distance and alter your mag until it matches
    AA TX200 MK2 .177, MK3 Barrel, long stroked & shortened T/P
    AA TX200 MK3 HC .177, 22mm internals, shortened T/P
    http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/

When a mildot exactly measures 36" at 1000 ( the height of a 6' tall man would cover 2 mildots ) or 3.6" at 100 yards @ 10X or more accurately 3.44 Minutes Of Angle then it is a true mildot. All this has been handed down from the US military.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Just wanted to know at what mag the mil dots are true in the Nikko sterling panamax 3-9..(I know this may not be possible if they are true @10x if you know what I mean, Just so I can calibrated my chairgun numbers to fit.)
    Thanks all
    Rhys
    Not sure what it is your asking or what "calibration" you mean ?

The hold over is whatever chairgun says for the scope mag you select, the only time you need "true" is if you're trying to use the dots to range find & if it's "true" at 10x you can range find on a 3-9x at 5x using twice the number of dots.

Purely for ease of maths I like to keep mil dots metric so at "true" 1 dot is 1m at 1000m, 10cm at 100m or 1cm at 10m.

At half true (5x on a 10x true scope) 1 dot would be 2m at 1000m, 20cm at 100m or 2cm at 10m. (1/2 the mag so twice as much per dot).

edit; sorry I got that wrong first time now corrected.
    Last edited by angrybear; 21-04-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    When a mildot exactly measures 36" at 1000 ( the height of a 6' tall man would cover 2 mildots ) or 3.6" at 100 yards @ 10X or more accurately 3.44 Minutes Of Angle then it is a true mildot. All this has been handed down from the US military.

A.G

Ahem.....milliradians as a measure of angle existed long before the US.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Not sure what it is your asking or what "calibration" you mean ?

The hold over is whatever chairgun says for the scope mag you select, the only time you need "true" is if you're trying to use the dots to range find & if it's "true" at 10x you can range find on a 3-9x at 5x using twice the number of dots.

Purely for ease of maths I like to keep mil dots metric so at "true" 1 dot is 1m at 1000m, 10cm at 100m or 1cm at 10m.

At half true (5x on a 10x true scope) 2 dots would be 1m at 1000m, 10cm at 100m or 1cm at 10m.
    I'm trying to find out what magnification Nikko sterling set there mil dots to be true at with the sfp 3-9 panamax scope. This is so I can use the chair gun to predict pellet drop on any mag. So say I'm on 3x mag and I want to see what hold over I need for a 5yrd shot chairgun will tell me. Chairgun has a "generic mil dot" Ret option that allows you to calibrate where in your mag range the mil dots are true, this is the calibration im talking about
    Thanks for the reply though as I was trying to figure out how I was going to measure it if it was a 10x mil dot on a 9mag scope and now I can! IL put a meter rule at 50m and wind the mag back to 5 and see if it is 1 mil dot high.. if not I'll go further to 4.5 and see if that fits.
    Thanks for the info
    Rhys

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    I'm trying to find out what magnification Nikko sterling set there mil dots to be true at with the sfp 3-9 panamax scope. This is so I can use the chair gun to predict pellet drop on any mag. So say I'm on 3x mag and I want to see what hold over I need for a 5yrd shot chairgun will tell me. Chairgun has a "generic mil dot" Ret option that allows you to calibrate where in your mag range the mil dots are true, this is the calibration im talking about
    Thanks for the reply though as I was trying to figure out how I was going to measure it if it was a 10x mil dot on a 9mag scope and now I can! IL put a meter rule at 50m and wind the mag back to 5 and see if it is 1 mil dot high.. if not I'll go further to 4.5 and see if that fits.
    Thanks for the info
    Rhys
    It's a sweeping statement but "most" scopes are true at 10x, if you don't have the booklet in the box you might be able to get the info off the NS web site, or email & ask.

Sorry I went the wrong way on the earlier post (now corrected) if true 10x 1 dot is 1m at 1000m at 5x (1/2 the mag) 1 dot would be 2m at 1000m, 20cm at 100m & 2cm at 10m

so at 50m 1 dot at 5x should be 10cm on a ruler, 8cm at 40m, 6cm at 30m, 4cm at 20m, 2cm at 10m.

Also Chairgun is a program and only as accurate as the info you put in (like scope height) so holdover will be "there or there abouts" & still needs confirming by shooting holes in paper,
    so I'd just go with the generic mil dot ret numbers & shoot some test targets at various mags and ranges to fine tune your set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    It's a sweeping statement but "most" scopes are true at 10x, if you don't have the booklet in the box you might be able to get the info off the NS web site, or email & ask.

Sorry I went the wrong way on the earlier post (now corrected) if true 10x 1 dot is 1m at 1000m at 5x (1/2 the mag) 1 dot would be 2m at 1000m, 20cm at 100m & 2cm at 10m

so at 50m 1 dot at 5x should be 10cm on a ruler, 8cm at 40m, 6cm at 30m, 4cm at 20m, 2cm at 10m.

Also Chairgun is a program and only as accurate as the info you put in (like scope height) so holdover will be "there or there abouts" & still needs confirming by shooting holes in paper,
    so I'd just go with the generic mil dot ret numbers & shoot some test targets at various mags and ranges to fine tune your set-up.
    Good information thank you.. checking is always on the cards it's just alot quicker if you have the calculation to start.
    Cheers
    Rhys