Thread: Feel like I’ve gone back to the 80’s today, the smell and the fun teaching my kids

Feel like I’ve gone back to the 80’s today, the smell and the fun teaching my kids

Found myself at a loose end today.

I had some funds left over from my recent birthday so decided to treat myself

I’ve had the new synthetic HW30s on my radar for a little time and today, I bit the bullet and made that purchase I’d been considering for sometime.

So little trip into Derby and new purchase made.

Don’t you just love that new gun feeling

So back home, rifle out the box tin of pellets in hand and into my garage range, set up the targets and pure bliss a very nice easy plinking session.

Then oldest son wants to have a go, no problem he’s plinking away with a grin ear to ear and I couldn’t be happier, everything I taught him still present safe handling and perfect all round as he hasn’t shot for a while he got a little fatigued in his left arm as he broke his wrist just before Xmas it was understandable so didn’t push him and he was happy with his short but sweet session.

I could smell that new Weihrauch grease burning away and immediately it took me back to the 80’s shooting with my uncle in our back yard growing up as a kid.
    The smell and pleasure it was blooming ace only this time my probably highly collectible today Star Wars figure collection wasn’t being blown to pieces

Then youngest arrives home from school and is intrigued, he’s not shot before so I had to go through the standard safety drill first and it was then time for him to take his first ever shot with an air rifle.

First shot bullseye beginners luck? Errr most probably as every other shot was drifting way too the right so there’s certainly some work to do, but I can’t tell you how happy this made me today seeing there grins and excitement makes me so proud that I’m giving them that bug.

The blooming smell though absolutely love it

As a foot note I’ll give it a few more sessions before it’s stripped and regreased

Great post mate
    Well done on introducing your lads to the wonderful world of Airgun shooting,you can't beat some informal plinking with like minded souls.
    I did it with my son about 12 years ago,but he never really took to it like me.
    Atb
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    Great post mate
    Well done on introducing your lads to the wonderful world of Airgun shooting,you can't beat some informal plinking with like minded souls.
    I did it with my son about 12 years ago,but he never really took to it like me.
    Atb
    Les..
    Thanks for your kind comments Les,

Wish I had started my youngest a bit sooner but I’ve never felt he’s been ready as he can’t stand still for two minutes always got ants in his pants there chalk and cheese with his older brother who is very placid in comparison.

Trigger technique is certainly going to be a lot harder with the young un.

I blame the Xbox controller for that one

Absolutely tops, Nick.

Very well done on getting those youngsters onto the righteous boingering road.

Know what you mean about the new gun smell and that lovely aroma of the factory grease burning away, evoking wonderful memories.

And I did tell you that those "fuzzy felts" weren't fuzzy nor felty, in'it? Lovely little gun.

Next step......Boinger Bash, methinks.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    Found myself at a loose end today.

I had some funds left over from my recent birthday so decided to treat myself

I’ve had the new synthetic HW30s on my radar for a little time and today, I bit the bullet and made that purchase I’d been considering for sometime.

So little trip into Derby and new purchase made.

Don’t you just love that new gun feeling

So back home, rifle out the box tin of pellets in hand and into my garage range, set up the targets and pure bliss a very nice easy plinking session.

Then oldest son wants to have a go, no problem he’s plinking away with a grin ear to ear and I couldn’t be happier, everything I taught him still present safe handling and perfect all round as he hasn’t shot for a while he got a little fatigued in his left arm as he broke his wrist just before Xmas it was understandable so didn’t push him and he was happy with his short but sweet session.

I could smell that new Weihrauch grease burning away and immediately it took me back to the 80’s shooting with my uncle in our back yard growing up as a kid.
    The smell and pleasure it was blooming ace only this time my probably highly collectible today Star Wars figure collection wasn’t being blown to pieces

Then youngest arrives home from school and is intrigued, he’s not shot before so I had to go through the standard safety drill first and it was then time for him to take his first ever shot with an air rifle.

First shot bullseye beginners luck? Errr most probably as every other shot was drifting way too the right so there’s certainly some work to do, but I can’t tell you how happy this made me today seeing there grins and excitement makes me so proud that I’m giving them that bug.

The blooming smell though absolutely love it

As a foot note I’ll give it a few more sessions before it’s stripped and regreased
    Absolutely superb!!! Its amazing how that dieseling smell can bring back nostalgic memories of old. How old are your lads? My boys six and a half and already showing a keen interest. I've got him learning on the plastic bb guns at the moment and he loves it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Absolutely tops, Nick.

Very well done on getting those youngsters onto the righteous boingering road.

Know what you mean about the new gun smell and that lovely aroma of the factory grease burning away, evoking wonderful memories.

And I did tell you that those "fuzzy felts" weren't fuzzy nor felty, in'it? Lovely little gun.

Next step......Boinger Bash, methinks.
    Thanks Tone 👍

What fuzzy felt

Boinger bash is on the to do list although I think I’ve said 4 times now

Ps I’ve sent you an email or two as your pm box is full (or was)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    Absolutely superb!!! Its amazing how that dieseling smell can bring back nostalgic memories of old. How old are your lads? My boys six and a half and already showing a keen interest. I've got him learning on the plastic bb guns at the moment and he loves it!!!!
    Thanks Mike,

My boys are a bit late to the party eldest is now 17 and started shooting with me down my local club when he was 13 or 14 he’s quite lazy but very sensible.

Youngest is 12 but very much a wild one. Hopefully I’ll have a few years with him to come as the eldest has other distractions now with girls and driving

It was brill to have them both shooting today though really did take me back and make my day

Nick, just e-mailed back. I hardly ever go on there.....I think the reply was sent!

Fantastic buy there, young sir and MAKE SURE YOU KEEP IT!

You're welcome to visit anytime matey, but DO try and get to a Bash with the boys.....you'd all absolutely love it; promise.

BOING!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Nick, just e-mailed back. I hardly ever go on there.....I think the reply was sent!

Fantastic buy there, young sir and MAKE SURE YOU KEEP IT!

You're welcome to visit anytime matey, but DO try and get to a Bash with the boys.....you'd all absolutely love it; promise.

BOING!
    Cheers Tone, I’ve just emailed you back

Don’t worry the 30s Synthetic is marked as an heirloom now the youngest has already called dibs

Thanks for your kind comments Les,

Wish I had started my youngest a bit sooner but I’ve never felt he’s been ready as he can’t stand still for two minutes always got ants in his pants there chalk and cheese with his older brother who is very placid in comparison.

Trigger technique is certainly going to be a lot harder with the young un.

I blame the Xbox controller for that one
    You are most welcome Sir.
    I get a buzz out of hearing the same sort of story that I went through 40 odd years ago with my Dear old Dad when he got my brother and me our first air guns.
    Take Tony's advice and get your self to the Boinger bash you won't regret it.
    Atb
    Les..

Cheers Tone, I’ve just emailed you back

Don’t worry the 30s Synthetic is marked as an heirloom now the youngest has already called dibs
    Absolutely brilliant news re the heirloom status, Nick, making this one very special "family" gun.

I think it's often been said that our sense of smell is huge in terms of bringing back memories and I can well believe it......The gentle aroma of a springer burning off a bit of lube, Castrol R......ahh, Castrol R . And the smell of opening a tin of old Eley Wasps years ago. A most distinctive, slightly pungent and "sharp" smell.

And I'll never forget opening my first tins of RWS pellets. I'd be about 15 at the time. I'd read about them in AGW and wanted to use them in my HW35. Nowhere locally sold them, so a friend and I got on the train and visited Guns and Ammo in Sheffield. The sensation on opening those tins is still fresh in my mind....the dark look compared to the pellets I'd used previously and the strong, dark smell, almost "heavily leaden" aroma of these pellets, which seemed really exotic to me then.

Hopefully those boys of yours will keep on airgunning. Yes, over the years, they'll be challenged with other temptations, but once engrained in them, it's something that'll stay with them forever and they will be able to think back on happy times with Dad, recollect THEIR own sights, sounds and smells and share it with their kids too.

Always keep-a-boinging my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    You are most welcome Sir.
    I get a buzz out of hearing the same sort of story that I went through 40 odd years ago with my Dear old Dad when he got my brother and me our first air guns.
    Take Tony's advice and get your self to the Boinger bash you won't regret it.
    Atb
    Les..
    My dad got me started originally when I was eight years old with a Diana pop out barrel pistol in the back garden which I still have today.