Thread: Haenel Catalog from US Importer

Haenel Catalog from US Importer

Has anyone seen this Catalog? From US Importer I never heard of? Interesting I have wondered why the Haenel 28 R repeater seems more common in US? Here this is the only 28 available? Also in description reaffirms the pellet for the Repeater is waisted pellet. These were not only pages but most interesting and all the pistols:

https://imgur.com/gallery/gP3D0Ll

This is the second US company I have seen that imported the 28R and not the 28: Johnson Smith & Co.
    Last edited by 45flint; 12-05-2018 at 01:32 AM.

Re pellet or ball in the 28R. I have read a lot about this with some people saying pellets work and others saying they do not. Mine works great with ball but does not like pellets. All I can say is do not believe all you read in catalogues or otherwise.

Has anyone on here got a 28R to work with pellets?
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    I have done, but not reliably.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

I have but only with short vintage pellets. My 22 works well with 1950’s Hyscore pellets. In the 1930-40 pellets were short with stout skirts. Balls are easier no doubt but many just roll out the barrel. H&N used to make a oversized ball which was perfect but no longer. Bought the lasts one I could find a year ago. I think I got my .177 to work with Crosman wadcutters? have to pull it out again and try. It also helps if you oil the pellets.

If you ever shoot a repeating Crosman 102, you find in the 1930s getting repeating pellet guns to work is an art form. Lol
    Last edited by 45flint; 12-05-2018 at 11:16 AM.

What a lovely catalogue - I have a photocopied Haenel catalogue in German, which has similar illustrations but would love to find one as nice as this.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    What a lovely catalogue - I have a photocopied Haenel catalogue in German, which has similar illustrations but would love to find one as nice as this.

John
    So would I this was on the bay and I was on vacation I was making a bid at the last minute and lost connection! I was totally bummed out for a day. Knew I would never see another.

Wow, that catalog is in remarkable condition! Thanks much for posting.

Re: making the repeater mechanism work; as already noted, pellets in those days tended more toward short, stout roundheads with big-ish skirts. I’m guessing they worked better than some of the more exotic designs around today.

The balls used in a gun also intended for pellets, would have been a true 4.5mm/0.177” in diameter. Those used in repeaters like the Haenel bolt-action trainers (like the post-war models 49 and 310) were smaller, 4.4mm / 0.175”. Using the 4.4’s in the 28R pistol or drum-repeater tap loaders would no doubt be problematic.

Lots of odd-size airgun bores were around in those days, and many sizes of ammo. H&N in fact made many unusual sizes of ball ammo into pretty recent times (or still do, for all I know).

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    Wow, that catalog is in remarkable condition! Thanks much for posting.

Re: making the repeater mechanism work; as already noted, pellets in those days tended more toward short, stout roundheads with big-ish skirts. I’m guessing they worked better than some of the more exotic designs around today.

The balls used in a gun also intended for pellets, would have been a true 4.5mm/0.177” in diameter. Those used in repeaters like the Haenel bolt-action trainers (like the post-war models 49 and 310) were smaller, 4.4mm / 0.175”. Using the 4.4’s in the 28R pistol or drum-repeater tap loaders would no doubt be problematic.

Lots of odd-size airgun bores were around in those days, and many sizes of ammo. H&N in fact made many unusual sizes of ball ammo into pretty recent times (or still do, for all I know).
    H&N dropped their ball ammo last year

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Not sure if it's still the case but protek used to stock some odd ball sizes.

Dave
    Smell my cheese