Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Venom BSAs?

Quote Originally Posted by roll27 View Post
    Heres mine, supersmooth, not seen another, cheers Roll
    http://s993.photobucket.com/user/rol...BSA%20GOLDSTAR
    Now that's what am talking about very nice

Venom

Not sure how the BSA's shot but my Vulcan was lovely to shoot. Just a slight nudge in the shoulder and was doing 11.3 back then. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Those Trapshot early guns were all about massive springs and trial and error tuning. Power was basically how hard the gun kicked. Probably best left on the pages of old AGWs, and nothing to do with the later work of Venom or V-Mach...
    I don't disagree with you. And that's why they interest me.

A brief 2-3 year (at most) period when professional tuning was in its infancy, running hot was not seen as a problem (and the only "chrono" available to most was a Cardew ballistic pendulum), slammy actions were favoured as "feeling powerful", 1" groups at 25 yards with Wasps or Silver Jets were seen as great accuracy, and "custom" stocks, including modified factory ones, were suddenly a thing.

FT quickly sorted out what did and did not work (and Venom rose to the challenge).

As a historian, I'm intrigued by those old guns, how they actually performed (and would perform now with modern pellets), and where they ended up. Whatever their failings, so much of the next nearly 40 years of springer development can find its origin back then.

Venom

Originally Posted by Hsing-ee

Those Trapshot early guns were all about massive springs and trial and error tuning. Power was basically how hard the gun kicked. Probably best left on the pages of old AGWs, and nothing to do with the later work of Venom or V-Mach...

Really have to disagree. From my own experience I had my Vulcan and my first HW80 tuned by Ivan and Dave in 1983 when at Trapshot and both were lovely to shoot. Still use my Trapshot venom HW55T and that's doing 10.4 ft lbs and again lovely to shoot. The venom guys know there stuff way back then and even put Mr Cardew right a few times.
    Mach 1.5

Can't remember the venom bsa's ..but who remembers the Bowkett 12ftlb meteors and i think he did scorpion tunes as well..lad i knew had the meteor version ...horrendous comes to mind now!
    Theoben Eliminator .22 spring conversion
    V-mach custom HW80 .177 fac
    Theoben Eliminator .25 ....WHACK!

Quote Originally Posted by wobblywill View Post
    Can't remember the venom bsa's ..but who remembers the Bowkett 12ftlb meteors and i think he did scorpion tunes as well..lad i knew had the meteor version ...horrendous comes to mind now!
    I had Mercury done by him back in the 80's...totally transformed it.

Shameless plug for the Venom tuned BSA Mercury Challenger I’m selling in the sales section at the moment. It’s .22 and a carbine.

Mine was done when Venom had moved out of Trapshot in Lye and were working in their own premises on a trading estate in Cradley Heath. This was 1985 or ‘86.

The work they did on my BSA was every bit as good as the work they did on my HW80 and HW77.

I have a Trapshot scope on my BSF Venom Bavaria, just wondering if there are plenty of those scopes still around? Mach 1.5 kindly fitted it to the Venom, as it was meant to be. It was all from the collection I picked up.

Trapshot

To my understanding the Trapshot scopes were 're badged kassner scopes back in the day and nice glass. Still have a 4 x32 and 4 x 40 in my collection. Mach 1.5