Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venom BSAs?

Venom BSAs?

Back in the very early 80s Trapshot days, Venom offered custom BSA Mercuries and Airsporters.

There's an old ad in one of "troubledshooter"'s galleries (links in his signature block) showing a Merc with a Monte Carlo stock, and an Airsporter S with a Tyrolean, in classic early Venom style with swoopy, capped, pistol grips, big ventilated recoil pads, and lots of stippling. Alongside the more well-known HW35, 80, 55 and FWB124/127.

So they were made.

I can't remember ever seeing one, reading a magazine review, or reading about them on here.

Anyone know anything more? I wonder what they were like to shoot, and what happened to them (even if there were only one of each!).

I haven't seen Airsporter or Mercury variants, but I do have a Venomac Goldstar.

As above, a mate of mine picked up a Venom SuperStar not long back
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Early Venom

May have been done as one offs just to show case what Ivan and Dave could do when at Trapshot. The German stuff was far more popular and so there work was more popular with these models. They did a nice job on my webley Vulcan mk1 back in 1983. They would of course work on any rifle popular in the day. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    May have been done as one offs just to show case what Ivan and Dave could do when at Trapshot.
    That's what I was thinking. I do still wonder what happened to them.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    I haven't seen Airsporter or Mercury variants, but I do have a Venomac Goldstar.
    Would love to see a picture of the Venomac Goldstar any chance please

Quote Originally Posted by wild dogman View Post
    It looks just like any other Goldstar bar the sticker I'm afraid. I did discuss it with Steve Pope and he confirmed they had done a few, they aren't buttoned as the pistons were too hard to work with so it is a polish job with Venom piston seal, spring etc. It is very smooth and pleasant to shoot, but you do have to keep an eye on the power.

Old Venom's

Never seen the BSA's. Have seen a HW80, FWB Sport and a friend of mine owns an Original 45 they did. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by wild dogman View Post
    The one I saw had the typical Venom HW77 style moderator on and had a lovely reblue along with an early style CS800. I’d have snapped it up myself had I saw it first.

As said they’d work on anything, there were Daystates, Diana’s, BSA’s (even my Relum Tornado was sorted by Dave Pope!) There are also a few BSA Martini .22lr’s knocking around - some beautifully stocked PH fullbore rifles - and before the ban, some lovely TC Contender pistols.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Venom bsa goldstar

Heres mine, supersmooth, not seen another, cheers Roll
    http://s993.photobucket.com/user/rol...BSA%20GOLDSTAR

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    May have been done as one offs just to show case what Ivan and Dave could do when at Trapshot. The German stuff was far more popular and so there work was more popular with these models. They did a nice job on my webley Vulcan mk1 back in 1983. They would of course work on any rifle popular in the day. Mach 1.5

Still got it? Lets see a pic P if you have
    https://www.walnut.black

Early Venom

The Webley Vulcan was sold years ago sorry to say. Had a Galway silencer on it also. A few of us who were members of the Venom Pistol & Rifle club got the team do us tricked out BSA Scorpion pistols in .22 cal. Happy Days. Mach 1.5

Siblings....

Quote Originally Posted by roll27 View Post
    Heres mine, supersmooth, not seen another, cheers Roll
    http://s993.photobucket.com/user/rol...BSA%20GOLDSTAR

That is nice ....and an exact brother (sister i guess) to a Superstar i picked up - same stock same blacked action and slimtech style silencer...no sticker or markings though and unfortunately came fitted with a super harsh gas ram.....Tony at SFS whipped that out and did a tune and i swapped the stock onto my mint (i bought it new) Superstar that Tony had also fettled - was going to sell the 'donor' gun - but it shoots sooooo well i couldn't part with it....

pics added
    Stock (now on my std / sfs tuned superstar)
    http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/...pso4vepj4g.jpg

Action - mirror blacked not blue - slimtech style silencer ...now with a 'spare' stock on it.
    http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/...pseqizbpju.jpg

Still wondering if i have split a Venom superstar up!
    Last edited by scgevans; 05-05-2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: pics added
    Ex- Field airgun fella @ www.hprpc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    It looks just like any other Goldstar bar the sticker I'm afraid. I did discuss it with Steve Pope and he confirmed they had done a few, they aren't buttoned as the pistons were too hard to work with so it is a polish job with Venom piston seal, spring etc. It is very smooth and pleasant to shoot, but you do have to keep an eye on the power.
    That's a shame was hopping it would look very special as most of they work does

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Back in the very early 80s Trapshot days, Venom offered custom BSA Mercuries and Airsporters.

Anyone know anything more? I wonder what they were like to shoot, and what happened to them (even if there were only one of each!).
    Those Trapshot early guns were all about massive springs and trial and error tuning. Power was basically how hard the gun kicked. Probably best left on the pages of old AGWs, and nothing to do with the later work of Venom or V-Mach...