Thread: The W. H. B. Smith 1950’s shoot-off: BSA MK2 Airsporter vs. Diana Model 50

The W. H. B. Smith 1950’s shoot-off: BSA MK2 Airsporter vs. Diana Model 50

Been going back in time with W. H. B. Smith classic 1957 book on Airguns. He does extensive write ups and testing of the guns of the day. First up he comes to the conclusion that the Webley MK3 and the Walther 55 are the finest airguns of their time. But he is enamored by the “newly” designed BSA Airsporter but has it below the accuracy of the above. He says it is the equal to the Diana 50 in performance. But out of the rifles of this era these two are about the most elegant. Since I have these two in about new condition I think a shoot off is in order. Taking bets. Removed the Diopter sight from the Diana to level the playing field. Very happy to include a Webley MK3 or Walther 55 if you want to send one to me. Lol

Smith’s write-up:
    Last edited by 45flint; 20-04-2018 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Been going back in time with W. H. B. Smith classic 1957 book on Airguns. He does extensive write ups and testing of the guns of the day. First up he comes to the conclusion that the Webley MK3 and the Walther 55 are the finest airguns of their time.
    He's pretty keen on the Falke 90 too!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    You will need to practice a little bit more with the Airsporter as it is more powerful and has a more pronounced spring-surge. Also the trigger is not as good as the 50 one.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    He's pretty keen on the Falke 90 too!
    I knew that was coming, lol. One year after he wrote the book Fawke would be no more and the 90 reached a production total of 200? Not sure that qualifies as a viable production run? My backyard has its limitations!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    You will need to practice a little bit more with the Airsporter as it is more powerful and has a more pronounced spring-surge. Also the trigger is not as good as the 50 one.
    Already making excuses for the BSA? Understand the power issue but if the trigger isn’t as good can you penalize the Diana for making a good trigger?

The Diana will win.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    The Diana will win.
    Whats pretty nuts is I took the diopter sight off the Diana and moved the sight to the closer rail for the open sight. It pretty much held POA. The Diana trigger is a long two stage trigger. The long first stage to me is like a having a safety. The second stage is target quality, I think they say it’s a ball bearing trigger? Very sweet. The BSAs trigger isn’t even close. But I forgot that it needs RWS Superdomes took the wrong pellets out. Got too cold. There’s always another day.
    With diopter:

Closer rail open sight:

Last edited by 45flint; 20-04-2018 at 08:31 PM.

Had a fun day shooting these two 1950s classics. I had bought some very good RWS Meisterkugein pellets at a recent gunshow, .177 for the Diana 50 and .22 for the Airsporter MK2. Being two different calibers probably does not help a comparison but that’s what I have. The Airsporter is a much more powerful gun at +10 fpe with the Diana at +6 fpe.

Sights, the Diana’s sights are far superior to the BSA, fully adjustable with simple turns of a knob. BSA is adjustable for elevation with set screws but the windage would need to be adjusted by drifting the sight in the dovetail. This one easily goes to the Diana by a large margin.

Trigger, the Diana is a two stage ball bearing trigger with a very long travel to the first stage and a very light match pull at the second. BSA is a single stage firm trigger. This easily goes to the Diana again by a large margin.

Ability to hold on target. Diana is very easy to hold on target, the spring seems to give a controlled thump as it is released. The BSA is more powerful holding on target with a artillary hold works well but no question it more jumpy and a challenge.

The BSA is a innovative sleek beautiful rifle and a joy to own, but I end up agreeing with Smith that it’s “target” performance doesn’t seem to match the standards of rifles like the Diana. It’s power however can make it a much more useful gun for say hunting or pest control.

Fun reliving the past in your backyard. To me collecting is also about experiencing the shooting as it was.
    Last edited by 45flint; 25-04-2018 at 10:36 PM.

Not surprising.

German 1950s focus: organised club target shooting.

British 1950s focus: plinking and short-range pest control in back gardens and farms.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Detune the airsporter a bit and see if it helps. But the trigger will still be poor.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Detune the airsporter a bit and see if it helps. But the trigger will still be poor.
    Not really interested in altering it, it’s still a good gun just interesting to compare. And like said the Diana is more of a target rifle.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Not really interested in altering it, it’s still a good gun just interesting to compare. And like said the Diana is more of a target rifle.
    I meant just a weaker spring, not an alteration. If it makes it nices to shoot, you'll enjoy shooting it more... I'm thinking you weren't planning on hunting with it

My mk2 runs around 9FP and isn't too harsh at all...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    I meant just a weaker spring, not an alteration. If it makes it nices to shoot, you'll enjoy shooting it more... I'm thinking you weren't planning on hunting with it

My mk2 runs around 9FP and isn't too harsh at all...
    Harsh may be a “harsh” term lol. I’m comparing it to a 6 fpe heavy gun in the Diana. If I was comparing it to my Beeman C1 it surely would be the smoother one? The trigger and sights of the Diana are just a treat. Maybe these early ones are under appreciated; graceful lines and great natural shooters.
    Last edited by 45flint; 26-04-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Harsh may be a “harsh” term lol. I’m comparing it to a 6 fpe heavy gun in the Diana. If I was comparing it to my Beeman C1 it surely would be the smoother one? The trigger and sights of the Diana are just a treat. Maybe these early ones are under appreciated; graceful lines and great natural shooters.
    My old Mk 2 Airsporter would 'BOING' like a big piece of panty elastic when it went off, it gave 12 fpe power too. Trimming the spring, as Jon says, makes it far more well-mannered and enjoyable to shoot, as well as accurate.