Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
No worries Noz, Are you struggling with driving?

Just to clarify the costs involved in FT and HFT. I'm covering PCP's here.

For HFT the lower end would be the S400 and a SH scope, something along the lines of the 10x44 MTC Viper with SCB ret. You could compete for approx £350....maybe £500 if there's a bottle too. the upper end can be the Target rifles (or custom made jobbies) with something like a March, Nighforce or leup. You're looking at 2-3k (at least). My HFT rig is a Steyr with a 10x42 Sightron....probably around £1400 for the rig so pretty much in the middle.

For FT the lower end can be the same rifle, it's the scope that going to cost as the better the glass then (normally) the better the range finding also better turret tracking and mag adjuster. You can compete with some of the older 8-32x40 bushnells (£250-£350 SH)but would struggle to compete with the FT sightron and top of the tree March, it all depends on what level you want to compete at. When walking around the GP you'll see a lot of the top kit as a GP is pretty much top level and the shooters would have been littered with World, Euro , British and regional champs. When shooting these comps you get to meet some sound people who you wouldn't realise had been a world champ.....only by the fact that they had a blinding score

Edit - just wanted to say that top end kit doesn't equate to top end scores.
I did say that that I knew it was an Elite event and as such, top equipment would be in use. As a golfer for 50 years, I am well aware that top kit does not automatically ensure good scores! The wind on the day was quite strong, across some of the lanes as well, so the winning score of Andy Calpin, 47, was very good in my opinion. I hope to give it go but it will be after surgery so it will be a while, I'm afraid. Many thanks to all who offered their advice and opinions. Meanwhile, I am sticking to BR.