Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of trying HFT

Thinking of trying HFT

This weeks blog post is aimed at people who might be thinking of trying HFT, but are worried about not being good enough, (spoiler alert, you are!)
    And as the weather has cheered up, this weekend might be the perfect time to start

/hft-am-i-good-enough

(admin, I put it here and not in 'Target Shooting', as it's aimed at people who don't currently shoot HFT. But feel free to move it if you need. Thanks)

Thank you. Reading that has given me the encouragement I needed to go and give it a try. I'm not the greatest shot, but I really want to test myself, and now I know I can.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Thumbs up

Good article, I did enjoy reading it.

I heard very similar concerns from people when I was doing IPAS, and in the end the answers were much the same - You really don't have to be a superlative shot (but you will get better by taking part!), the competitive aspect is not all that important and even at the highest level there was still banter - I had the pleasure of shooting at events with Steve Taylor, who was/is a superb pistol shot, and not once did he evince any kind of snobbery. He was very helpful to novices.
    And it doesn't have to be all that expensive. Some people must have dropped the best part of a grand or more on their IPAS rigs, but you could get started for £100 or so if you shopped around.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    This weeks blog post is aimed at people who might be thinking of trying HFT, but are worried about not being good enough, (spoiler alert, you are!)
    And as the weather has cheered up, this weekend might be the perfect time to start

/hft-am-i-good-enough

(admin, I put it here and not in 'Target Shooting', as it's aimed at people who don't currently shoot HFT. But feel free to move it if you need. Thanks)
    Don't think, just do it.

A.G

Blog

Fantastic article , I've heard those exact same questions many times from people sitting at a bench and have given them the same advice , HFT is so much more than a competitive sport. HFT is a social gathering of some of the nicest, friendliest people I have ever met. It also gives me a community of like minded folk who like shooting when our pastime is so vilified in the press these days.

A really excellent informative article.I would love to try it, but, as I suffer from hip and knee trouble ( awaiting surgery, I hope) at the moment, I am unable to get down and up easily from kneeling, prone positions, etc.
    Good luck to all who can give it a go.

Wow just read this sitting in the garden. I have always wanted to try HFT. I have only really ever shot my air rifles in the back garden. This has given me the encouragement to find some where near me. Hopefully there is. Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by noz1 View Post
    A really excellent informative article.I would love to try it, but, as I suffer from hip and knee trouble ( awaiting surgery, I hope) at the moment, I am unable to get down and up easily from kneeling, prone positions, etc.
    I suffer from lower back pain and nerve damage to the lower parts of my body. Doing HFT, at my own pace, helped . Once I had difficulty getting up from the prone position. I can do it unassisted now.

A.G

Well written Dan

I especially like the analogy with ten pin bowling - I'm going to use that analogy the next time I get asked about HFT or FT for that matter.

I have been thinking about it for a while trying to find any where near to me has proved frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    I suffer from lower back pain and nerve damage to the lower parts of my body. Doing HFT, at my own pace, helped . Once I had difficulty getting up from the prone position. I can do it unassisted now.

A.G
    Great result for you, Sir. I hope to go to watch a nearby event to see what is involved tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyman1963 View Post
    I have been thinking about it for a while trying to find any where near to me has proved frustrating
    http://www.csfta.co.uk/index.php/clubfinder

Quote Originally Posted by noz1 View Post
    You just have take your time, I've had a knee replacement which still isn't right and further surgery needed. No chance of kneelers so they are taken standing, prone is OK apart from the getting down and back up again but it's such a friendly, relaxed sport there's no pressure.

What a great article and thread.

Me and Karen were at the Emley extreme today and what a great advert for the sport. New comers and those still learning the ropes alongside shooters who have won regional, British & World titles all enjoying a mornings HFT in the sun.

To those who keep thinking they should give it a go, stop thinking and do!

HFT it's a amazing sport so much fun and Challenging at the same time I'm still learning every comp. I have great people I shoot with and we have a right laugh. I recommend hft to anyone to come and have a go. If you just hunt Hft will improve your shooting even more.

Regards

Anwar