Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short strong mainsprings, where from?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

Short strong mainsprings, where from?

Hi all,

Does anyone know where to get short strong mainsprings from please, something along the lines of a V-mach spring (I never thought I'd hear myself say that) but without the hefty price tag.

Cheers

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I never regarded them as being heftily priced, Pete, especially once you start to compare prices and taking the quality and suitability into account.

Try V-Mach directly, or BAR.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I never regarded them as being heftily priced, Pete, especially once you start to compare prices and taking the quality and suitability into account.

Try V-Mach directly, or BAR.
    To be honest Tone, I think I've been used to paying around the £18-20 mark for a Titan spring, so when I looked on the BAR site and saw them for £27 (but they don't have any in stock) I was a little shocked (probably the tight arse in me), a bit the same as I've been used to buying rifles off here for sensible money but then realising how expensive dealer prices are.

I may have to contact Steve then and see what he can do, is he still on part time hours because of his health?

Thanks for your reply Tone.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Hi all,

Does anyone know where to get short strong mainsprings from please, something along the lines of a V-mach spring (I never thought I'd hear myself say that) but without the hefty price tag.

Cheers

Pete
    Is it for a theoben spring conversion per chance?? 😁
    I used a Titan no. 1 which had a sh*t load of pre-load and still only made mid 11's in 22. Smaller diameter equals stiffer so look at the titan list for small id and thick wire. Atb Max

PS should of kept it as a rammer
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Is it for a theoben spring conversion per chance?? ��
    I used a Titan no. 1 which had a sh*t load of pre-load and still only made mid 11's in 22. Smaller diameter equals stiffer so look at the titan list for small id and thick wire. Atb Max

Strangely enough it is, the Titan no14 was sticking out the back about of the cylinder five inches and I just couldn't get it in with my spring compressor, so I chopped off three coils and managed to get it in but it's only doing 9.5ftp, I'll have a look at the list.

I know what you mean about keeping it as a rammer but I'm in too deep now and don't really want to give in just yet.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Is it for a theoben spring conversion per chance?? 😁

Just looked at the Titan list and the no2 spring just looks like a shorter version of the no14 (I admit the no2 springs wire is slightly thicker) would it make any difference as I've just shortened my no14 to get it in, so wouldn't be far off the no2 in theory.

Pete

I used the Titan number 2 springs in most of my rammer conversions, as I mentioned in your previous thread about the conversion. If you still struggle to make power with that (I never have) a small brass top hat can bring it up a little. The piston seal might be worth checking if you haven't already, as they can go quite hard/burnt over time.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    I used the Titan number 2 springs in most of my rammer conversions, as I mentioned in your previous thread about the conversion. If you still struggle to make power with that (I never have) a small brass top hat can bring it up a little. The piston seal might be worth checking if you haven't already, as they can go quite hard/burnt over time.

John
    Thanks for that John, I did buy a new piston seal but didn't realise there was a magic way of fitting them (according to Impact) and the mounting lug is now damaged and it won't sit straight on the piston, I'm a bit reluctant to spend another £30 on another seal, if I can get the power up first with a spring then I may consider getting an OZ piston seal and converting that to fit as the Theoben seals seem a little hard and un parachute like, someone said the Theoben seals aren't the best at sealing (might have been you), I may just get a no2 then and try that first.

Thanks for the advice John

Pete

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    The wire thickness makes a masive difference to the stiffness - I think it's proportional to the cube of wire dia - so even a 0.1mm increase will get you where you need to be.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    The wire thickness makes a masive difference to the stiffness - I think it's proportional to the cube of wire dia - so even a 0.1mm increase will get you where you need to be.
    Looks like he doesn't have that option with a Titan spring

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....50#post7469850

Pete , remember a shorter spring will be stiffer ( all else being equal )

Theoben rammers in my experience, are probably one of the most inconsistent rifles in terms of engineering output. I have come across guns which are so easy to cock for full power and others an absolute bugger and anywhere in between in gas ram form. It is possible that overspringing will also result in power loss, same for springers. The Titan number 2 spring I have found to be the best starting point, some guns I have converted have happily made power with a number 4 spring but those were all .22. Start with the number 2 & add or remove preload to suit. Mostly just a delrin top hat & steel slip washer will suffice. The Eliminator I found liked a little weight in the nose of the piston, just made the top hat out of brass. I currently have 2 Fenmans & an Evo, but none so far have experienced the consistent power drop over time that others do. When I get time to actually have a play with one of my own The Evo will probably get a spring conversion, as I prefer the firing cycle with a spring.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Which spring

What about a OX spring (must be loads going begging on here the way folk slate them ) cut and finish
    with 15-20mm preload , polish the life out of it particularly the high and low corners , a steel top hat and slip
    washers to suit .

Quote Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
    What about a OX spring (must be loads going begging on here the way folk slate them ) cut and finish
    with 15-20mm preload , polish the life out of it particularly the high and low corners , a steel top hat and slip
    washers to suit .
    I doubt many people have many going on here as they know how shite they are and probably wouldn't buy one in the first place.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I doubt many people have many going on here as they know how shite they are and probably wouldn't buy one in the first place.

Pete

Are these the square section ones ?

No good then ?

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    Are these the square section ones ?

No good then ?
    Yes

and

Yep

Pete