Thread: Short strong mainsprings, where from?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    The wire thickness makes a masive difference to the stiffness - I think it's proportional to the cube of wire dia - so even a 0.1mm increase will get you where you need to be.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    The wire thickness makes a masive difference to the stiffness - I think it's proportional to the cube of wire dia - so even a 0.1mm increase will get you where you need to be.
    Looks like he doesn't have that option with a Titan spring

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....50#post7469850

Pete , remember a shorter spring will be stiffer ( all else being equal )

Theoben rammers in my experience, are probably one of the most inconsistent rifles in terms of engineering output. I have come across guns which are so easy to cock for full power and others an absolute bugger and anywhere in between in gas ram form. It is possible that overspringing will also result in power loss, same for springers. The Titan number 2 spring I have found to be the best starting point, some guns I have converted have happily made power with a number 4 spring but those were all .22. Start with the number 2 & add or remove preload to suit. Mostly just a delrin top hat & steel slip washer will suffice. The Eliminator I found liked a little weight in the nose of the piston, just made the top hat out of brass. I currently have 2 Fenmans & an Evo, but none so far have experienced the consistent power drop over time that others do. When I get time to actually have a play with one of my own The Evo will probably get a spring conversion, as I prefer the firing cycle with a spring.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Which spring

What about a OX spring (must be loads going begging on here the way folk slate them ) cut and finish
    with 15-20mm preload , polish the life out of it particularly the high and low corners , a steel top hat and slip
    washers to suit .

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
    What about a OX spring (must be loads going begging on here the way folk slate them ) cut and finish
    with 15-20mm preload , polish the life out of it particularly the high and low corners , a steel top hat and slip
    washers to suit .
    I doubt many people have many going on here as they know how shite they are and probably wouldn't buy one in the first place.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I doubt many people have many going on here as they know how shite they are and probably wouldn't buy one in the first place.

Pete

Are these the square section ones ?

No good then ?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    Are these the square section ones ?

No good then ?
    Yes

and

Yep

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post

Pete
    Some people have got them to work well in some instances, but like the poster said they need finishing and fettling. A bit like a BSA SuperSport.

The problem comes with them when people take the untrimmed, unprepped spring and cram it into some unsuspecting medium power rifle.

That's not to say you should put one in your Theoben. That would be like walking around with someone elses dirty underpants on. It's an Ox and should stay in the Box has been the BBS mantra for the last 18 years.

The only shite spring is one with no spring in it!

I run a 1950's mod 27 which has a 61mm stroke and 25mm bore with a OX spring with 20mm of preload and
    I like it .