Thread: Air Arms Pro Sport safety catch.

Air Arms Pro Sport safety catch.

Hello Fellow Brethren,
    I finally have a Pro Sport after looking and lusting for years.
    Sadly has the common fault of not always cocking and the safety catch doesn't engage.
    Have repeatedly flushed and lubed the trigger assembly out of rifle, appears to function fine.
    I've searched for potential problems yet have found no definitive answers.
    So I'm hoping some one could give me a pointer in what to tackle next.

Many Thanks
    flyinglead .

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    The underlever needs to be cocked all the way back to ensure the safety engages. The rifle will cock,but leave the trigger not fully primed unless the u/l has completed a full stroke.
    If the trigger is set over-light then the sear engagement may be a bit "hit 'n miss".
    Finally, if it's been shot a lot then the sear edges may be worn.

All options to look at...

Jerry

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    If it has not been messed with its the same as the HC.

Needs a good firm pull to cock.
    Master Debater

Unfortunately its due to the crap under lever making them hard to fully cock. I absolutely love pro sports but that is the biggest down fall. When I had mine I cut some steel rod and fitted it to it, from that day to when I sold it, it was bloody amazing and easy to cock
    Atb

If the rifle is new to you, I suggest you remove the mainspring and try cocking the action to make sure it all works as it should. If I remember correctly the spring guide flange thickness can be critical as well.
    I give here some notes I made a few years ago ... they maybe relevant, they may not .....
    START: ....had this problem with mine. found it was the piston and spring guide touching removed half a mill from top of guide and it cocks as easy as you like now.

I added: This is good information. I found that the piston guide flange for a Prosport had to be no more than 2.8mm thick or the rifle would not cock but the antibear mechanism did engage.
    END

Cheers, Phil

I posted recently about the same problem I have with my tx200HC. Basically I tried absolutely everything and it made no difference. I stripped and rebuilt the rifle perhaps 12 times, including putting a TBT drop in kit in, no change. It is generally accepted that this is just standard, basically you need to yank the cocking lever with force to cock the gun. However not everyone has the same issues and I’ve used TX and Prosport that you can cock gently and with ease. Clearly manufacturing tollerances at Air Arms are not very consistent. I’ve simply learnt to live with the fact that my safety doesn’t engage every cocking cycle and therefore not to rely on it. If you can get over that then you will still have a beautiful rifle that shoots incredibly well.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by AAPaulF View Post
    I posted recently about the same problem I have with my tx200HC. Basically I tried absolutely everything and it made no difference. I stripped and rebuilt the rifle perhaps 12 times, including putting a TBT drop in kit in, no change. It is generally accepted that this is just standard, basically you need to yank the cocking lever with force to cock the gun. However not everyone has the same issues and I’ve used TX and Prosport that you can cock gently and with ease. Clearly manufacturing tollerances at Air Arms are not very consistent. I’ve simply learnt to live with the fact that my safety doesn’t engage every cocking cycle and therefore not to rely on it. If you can get over that then you will still have a beautiful rifle that shoots incredibly well.
    Just get a precision made steel spring guide