Thread: HW77k (Lucky purchase)

HW77k (Lucky purchase)

A couple of months ago I purchased an HW77k in an early CS800 stock when out buying some pellets, The rifle was a little tatty but bluing good, the stock had dried out and was sun bleached, It did however shoot very smoothly and a quick test on the shops chrono showed it was reasonably OK, A price of £200 was agreed, not particularly cheap but I felt I could rejuvenate the stock so seemed OK,

The stock was stripped of it's remaining finish and for 2 weeks fed daily with oil, I left signs of normal wear and resisted over restoring as feel this is part of a guns history, Over the period the wood slowly came back to life, a few finish coats saw it back to a nicely grained and excellent quality custom stock that fitted me perfectly,
    Although the rifle shot very well I thought I'd strip, clean and lube as had no idea of how it had previously been cared for and the stock condition indicated it had been left a long time, The action apart from being very smooth looked to be standard, That was until I saw a glimpse of the piston as I cocked it without the stock fitted, Upon stripping it became apparent this was no stock action and was fully machined, running on ring bearings from and rear, fully buttoned cylinder, nicely finished spring, guide and top hat, All parts were cleaned and inspected, the spring was under little pre-load and appeared good, The guide was a little worn so a new top hat and guide were made from Nylon 66 and fitted the spring dimensions, A new pistol sleeve fabricated and a custom seals seal kit purchased and fitted, The whole action was cleaned, lubed with moly paste and a little molly 2 smeared on the spring, the buttons and ring bearings were good and left alone (25mm piston version) The record trigger was cleaned, polished and refitted and the complete rifle reassembled,

It shot superbly, After a full tin I have re-chrono'd at 11.2 ft lbs in .22, I could add some power but it is super smooth with little recoil ( what is there is sent directly back) and consistent and not like any springer I have shot before (& I've had a few) so I have decided to leave alone, The rifle was fitted with a nice early Simmons White tail scope in keeping with it's age.

I have been using it a postal comp at 20 mtr's and the combination has proved to be the most comfortable and accurate rifle I have ever had in my hands, Partly due to the superb engineering and work that was previously carried out but also due the the balance and fit which appear to be absolutely perfect for me, I have shot scores I have never achieved with a rifle, With the purchase price, part purchased and lubes it owe's me around £230 and a few hours, For the best rifle i've ever had I recon it was a bargain,

Both my TX200 and Pro-sport have now been sold due to not being used as was my S200, I now shoot the same rifle for 20 mtr target and hunting and cannot see any reason or need to buy another this £200 tatty purchase brought on a whim when picking up some pellets has become one of my most prized possession's.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Yes they are good aren't they old 25mm 77's
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Yes they are good aren't they old 25mm 77's
    yup, very good - nice find. I find there is little correlation between purchase costs and enjoyment - in fact knowing how cheap some of my guns were actually were increases the enjoyment I get from them

However some are a bit tatty, so there's a coupe that i'm now paying as much to get refinished as I originally purchased them for
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.