Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black plastic stocks ...

Got one on my old hw77k, There is a lovely feel to the grip of mine, I do like the plastic stock,

premierpistol is offline Six out of seven dwarfs aren't happy
    My first experience with a synthetic stock was awful, it was a FX Cyclone but had developed the common crack just above the trigger. This put me off the synthetic options for quite some time. I later had a CZ synthetic which although was flexible, was as tough as hell.
    I suppose it's down to materials used?

I currently have one on my FX Streamline which feels tough and gives me security in the "less chance to ding and scratch" department but we'll have to see how it goes... if a nice wood stock comes up for sale I will buy it though, nothing quite like the feel of wood on your cheek

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I LOVE the synthetic stocks.....fitted one to one of my 77s and I also have the 30S Synthetic and Gamo Vipermax.

I like the perceived durability for a field rifle and particularly like the "stealthy" looks on the black '97 and '30 items.

Comfortable, too.
    The irony being that black is a colour that hardly exists in nature. Whereas if you are hunting in, say, a wood, then a sort of brown wood colour is much better camouflage than black.

premierpistol is offline Six out of seven dwarfs aren't happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    The irony being that black is a colour that hardly exists in nature. Whereas if you are hunting in, say, a wood, then a sort of brown wood colour is much better camouflage than black.
    To that degree then, never see many varnished branches... lol

I don't think the colour makes as much of a difference as to say a really shiny finish? But then I don't have pigeon eyes so maybe it's all just about the movement?

Quote Originally Posted by keithy View Post
    Synthetic stocks are great on hunting guns, no worrying about scratches and dents.
    Completely agree. My T10 has the tactical stock and it's comfortable and I don't have to worry about dinking it whilst out hunting. I wrap mine in pieces of camo cloth from old surplus kit to break up the shape and colour of the stock so quarry do not spook
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Quote Originally Posted by keithy View Post
    Synthetic stocks are great on hunting guns, no worrying about scratches and dents.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodpigeon View Post
    beat me to it,you can knock em to hell if you hunt.i have a grey laminate gc stock for my air wolf.changed that for a horrible black synthetic stock.functional,tough,and i dont have to bother about knocks scratches etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    I owned a BSA Scorpion Tactical a few years back, liked the stock, didn't think it was too light and I liked the durability.

As to the Weihrauch synthetic stocks, I really don't like the look of them at all.

Horses for courses I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I LOVE the synthetic stocks.....fitted one to one of my 77s and I also have the 30S Synthetic and Gamo Vipermax.

I like the perceived durability for a field rifle and particularly like the "stealthy" looks on the black '97 and '30 items.

Comfortable, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by danco1987 View Post
    Completely agree. My T10 has the tactical stock and it's comfortable and I don't have to worry about dinking it whilst out hunting. I wrap mine in pieces of camo cloth from old surplus kit to break up the shape and colour of the stock so quarry do not spook
    Now se I've got a bit of a different take on the whole "damage to plastic is better than wood" idea and that is that damaged plastic can be nasty.. Scrapes can leave flappy bits that grase you, you can't sand it without of ruining the finish with white scratch marks, you can't cut it off without creating more flappy bits, you can't melt it flat without making it worse. I imagen it being a nightmare to be honest, not to mention the environmental impact of plastic and the "chuck away" connotations it inspires. Seriously give me wood (sustainably grown at least) anytime.
    Its a shame really that the gun manufacturer's haven't yet caught on to the new breed of " hunt your own meat" sustainable living (dare I say it) "hippies" and come up with a recycled materials airgun!! Don't see why it isn't possible to be honest..
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I can't see why 'responsible manufacturers' can't make stocks out of living wood?

You could plant your stock in the garden when you weren't using it?

It could grow it's own seasonal camo, you know, like in the spring, it would blossom?

Oh yes, on reflection I can see why not - because I'm not a stupid hippie.

Quote Originally Posted by premierpistol View Post
    To that degree then, never see many varnished branches... lol

I don't think the colour makes as much of a difference as to say a really shiny finish? But then I don't have pigeon eyes so maybe it's all just about the movement?
    Yes, that post was slightly tongue-in-cheek.

Though I think I have a point. Dull, non-varnished oil-finished walnut is better camouflaged compared to black. Black is not camouflage, even at night, when dark green is better (especially as colour vision fades to shades of grey).

Look at the evolution of British military rifles since about 1880: everything up to and including No4 Lee-Enfield, the exterior is mostly brown; early L1A1, black metal with brown wood butt and fore-end; late L1A1, all black; L85A1: black with green furniture (to hide in German forests); L85A2: same but green-brown; new L85A3: mostly light to mid-brown, including the metal.

We have after a fifty year hiatus gone back to the colour scheme that worked ever since the miraculous military discovery in the late nineteenth century that dressing in order to be harder to see correlated with being harder to hit.

Of course, that doesn't apply directly to birds and animals, which do see things differently from us, but none of them see black as invisible.

Nor does it change the differing handling, resonance and other characteristics of artificial stocks ranging from the cheapest plastic through to high-end carbon-fire jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I can't see why 'responsible manufacturers' can't make stocks out of living wood?

You could plant your stock in the garden when you weren't using it?

It could grow it's own seasonal camo, you know, like in the spring, it would blossom?

Oh yes, on reflection I can see why not - because I'm not a stupid hippie.
    Oh ffs.. Don't be such a bleeding monmarian!
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Now se I've got a bit of a different take on the whole "damage to plastic is better than wood" idea and that is that damaged plastic can be nasty.. Scrapes can leave flappy bits that grase you, you can't sand it without of ruining the finish with white scratch marks, you can't cut it off without creating more flappy bits, you can't melt it flat without making it worse. I imagen it being a nightmare to be honest, not to mention the environmental impact of plastic and the "chuck away" connotations it inspires. Seriously give me wood (sustainably grown at least) anytime.
    Its a shame really that the gun manufacturer's haven't yet caught on to the new breed of " hunt your own meat" sustainable living (dare I say it) "hippies" and come up with a recycled materials airgun!! Don't see why it isn't possible to be honest..
    Rhys
    You would really have to give my scorpion stock a whack to take a chuck out of it. I'd be more worried about what else I'd damaged in the process. Thankfully I haven't. As for the environmental impact - rifle stocks are going to be negligible compared to disposable plastics. My T10 is a keeper so I won't be disposing of the stock anytime soon.
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377