Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black plastic stocks ...

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Black plastic stocks ...

What is the BBS consensus on these? Do they like them or does the weight of wood carry more weight? The stocks give the rifles a different balance, is there anything else people have noticed? Considering swapping my 77 back to wood, also now thinking about my BSA Scorpion. The Scorpion shape is excellent, just not sure about the weight.

I have just bought an HW97 KT in black synthetic and placed it in straight into a walnut custom stock. It was my intention from the off to do this but I did fire a few pellets with the synthetic. Personally to me it felt way too light, recoil was unpleasant and I wasn't keen on the feel of it. However all I would say is each to their own as the synthetic stock was quality made and will obviously appeal to some people. I think the synthetic stocks are much better suited to rifles such as the new version of the HW30s where the rifle is designed to be lighter and less heavy on the power.

I don't much like the '97K blackline 'fisthole' stock either.

Also agree that the BSA tactical stock is a good shape. I particularly like the upright 'target' grip.

Perhaps both could do with some insulation (silicon piped into sandwich bags) to fill the voids?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I don't much like the '97K blackline 'fisthole' stock either.

Also agree that the BSA tactical stock is a good shape. I particularly like the upright 'target' grip.

Perhaps both could do with some insulation (silicon piped into sandwich bags) to fill the voids?
    Hmm that is a good idea for the Scorpion, it is a perfect fit for me. I think the 97KT stock is going to have to go, popping the safety is awkward whichever way I've tried it and the pistol grip is too skinny.

I had an Ultra in a synthetic stock and changed it for a proper timber stock. My Verminator is in a synthetic stock and I can't imagine it any other way. So I think there is a factor to consider, is the synthetic stock a composite part of the design or just an option the manufacturer wishes to list, for whatever reason.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

There's also the small matter that one "plastic" stock might be of a completely different design to the next one
    some are hollow with thin(ish) skins over a matrix of ribs others are more solid or a different composite material.

I only have one on a Ruger .22lr but it's solid & I certainly like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    What is the BBS consensus on these? Do they like them or does the weight of wood carry more weight? The stocks give the rifles a different balance, is there anything else people have noticed? Considering swapping my 77 back to wood, also now thinking about my BSA Scorpion. The Scorpion shape is excellent, just not sure about the weight.

Synthetic stocks are great on hunting guns, no worrying about scratches and dents.
    mk2 rapid.22

beat me to it,you can knock em to hell if you hunt.i have a grey laminate gc stock for my air wolf.changed that for a horrible black synthetic stock.functional,tough,and i dont have to bother about knocks scratches etc.

CannonFodder is offline Brown envelope round the back Squire...
    I owned a BSA Scorpion Tactical a few years back, liked the stock, didn't think it was too light and I liked the durability.

As to the Weihrauch synthetic stocks, I really don't like the look of them at all.

Horses for courses I suppose.

I LOVE the synthetic stocks.....fitted one to one of my 77s and I also have the 30S Synthetic and Gamo Vipermax.

I like the perceived durability for a field rifle and particularly like the "stealthy" looks on the black '97 and '30 items.

Comfortable, too.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    The BSA tactical stock is the best of the bunch, bar none. Hats off to Hydrographics for the design.
    As far as weight goes, while I didn't find it an issue with my Ultra, I felt my Lightning needed a little more weight at the back so I filled it with expanding foam (to cut down on the resonance which was also an issue) and then when cured embedded lead weights into this at the buttpad end.
    Obviously this isn't for everyone, you'd be hard pressed to get all the foam out again, but the weights at least can be removed/added to if needed.
    I made the weights myself, melted down pellets in a CO2 caplet with the top cut off.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Obviously this isn't for everyone, you'd be hard pressed to get all the foam out again, but the weights at least can be removed/added to if needed.
    I made the weights myself, melted down pellets in a CO2 caplet with the top cut off.
    That is a brilliant idea, I will try that.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    That is a brilliant idea, I will try that.
    I first filled it with pellets, then hammered them down, put a few more in, then hammered that down. Then when I heated it held in a vice, added a few more pellets by hand as the pellets melted and the level dropped.
    Good deals with these members

Anything involving melting or smelting metals = Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Anything involving melting or smelting metals = Awesome.
    I know, I had a couple of LEM moulds in the old days, even though the pellets were rubbish, it was such fun melting the lead and casting them.

I made up a batch of the .22 'spitzers' for a bloke who wanted them to reload into his .22 Hornet centrefire, but I never got a report on how they did ... probably just for plinking.