Thread: Low-mess Stock Sanding

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Low-mess Stock Sanding

Has anyone done sanding a stock inside a plastic bag to stop dust inhalation and to expedite the process with the least amount of mess?

I know walnut wood dust can be carcinogenic and its advisable to sand this outdoors and using a mask, it would be better to bag the whole thing up. I havent seen mention of this idea on the web, wondered if anyone had tried it.

Build a sanding cabinet and use a vacuum cleaner to sook up the dust ?

large cardboard box ,clingfilm for a window and a hole in the box for the vacuum cleaner to sook the dust out and armholes for you sand the stock. like a diy blasting cabinet.

Or one of these https://tools-paint.com/mirka-handy-...er-46551-p.asp

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I know walnut wood dust can be carcinogenic.
    Oh well, that's me in an early grave then, I just sanded all my stocks in the shed, no mask or dust extraction device.

Looks like the wife might be outliving me after all

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Oh well, that's me in an early grave then, I just sanded all my stocks in the shed, no mask or dust extraction device.

Looks like the wife might be outliving me after all

Pete
    Nah, if you have been drinking Hampshire water all these years and you are still alive a bit of Mercury stock dust isn't going to do anything...

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Build a sanding cabinet and use a vacuum cleaner to sook up the dust ?

large cardboard box ,clingfilm for a window and a hole in the box for the vacuum cleaner to sook the dust out and armholes for you sand the stock. like a diy blasting cabinet.

Or one of these https://tools-paint.com/mirka-handy-...er-46551-p.asp
    Ah yes, a cardboard cabinet is a good idea....

I like to wait for a nice day and sit outside. I don't sand too much anyway. If you strip varnish using a knife, there's minimum sanding involved.
    Donald

I once sanded a stock in a plastic bag.

I nearly suffocated.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I once sanded a stock in a plastic bag.

I nearly suffocated.

ATB
    Ian
    Give us a shout next time........we will tie it tighter for you

Quite a few woods produce carcinogenic dust however l would be inclined to think you will be ok it's low level not like polonium etc but if you've had long exposure to other harmful dusts or smoke the give more thought to controlling the dust. Any plastic will generate static and condense the nuisance, so outdoors ffp3 mask gentle breeze away from you would be my pick. Having observed French polishers at work scraping with flexible steel cabinet scrapers always seemed to be what they used not sandpaper. I've seen scrapers made from old hand saw blades and shaped for curves etc some good vids on YouTube about the subject . Good luck

I just use my big Saturday night knife
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Has anyone done sanding a stock inside a plastic bag to stop dust inhalation and to expedite the process with the least amount of mess?

I know walnut wood dust can be carcinogenic and its advisable to sand this outdoors and using a mask, it would be better to bag the whole thing up. I havent seen mention of this idea on the web, wondered if anyone had tried it.

I use a cabinet scraper. If you haven’t used one before, there’s a knack to getting an edge, but it’s a skill once learnt that you’ll wonder how you ever managed without one. YouTube it, you’ll be glad you did.

Without exaggeration, my cabinet scrapers are my favourite tools - and I have an embarrassing number of tools.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiets View Post
    I use a cabinet scraper. If you haven’t used one before, there’s a knack to getting an edge, but it’s a skill once learnt that you’ll wonder how you ever managed without one. YouTube it, you’ll be glad you did.

Without exaggeration, my cabinet scrapers are my favourite tools - and I have an embarrassing number of tools.
    I think I had a scraper before - it was a flat piece of spring steel, unfortunately it got rusty at some point. I wasn't reall sure how to use it, was bothered it might make things too flat & polygonal. Must be a technique thing. Time to invest in a new one.

Didn't have a clue about the walnut thing. I'll put on a nicotine patch when I refinish that tatty hatty

I have been working with wood for years, breathed in loads of dust, might get cancer, more likely to die of lead poisoning from the pellets though.

Bb

Quote Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post
    I have been working with wood for years, breathed in loads of dust, might get cancer, more likely to die of lead poisoning from the pellets though.

Bb
    It's the dust from walnut that is carcinogenic, with pine and beech etc you should be OK, and you should be alright with the lead, as its in its pure metal form and not some soluble compound.