Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Different size cylinders and power.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    BUT IT'S GERMAN! and you know that's a big no no in my books

There is that other thing that there might be a new British break barrel finally showing it's beautiful head soon

Pete
    The barrel on your ProSport is German, and the stock is probably Italian. So you are going to have to sell it back to me, yes?

I think it's time you invested in a decent pre-War BSA. Get one that is not collector's grade, put in a nylon parachute, proper guides and spring and put a scope ramp on it. Then get a TX200 CD trigger unit and have that grafted on to it - T20 has one of these and it is pretty good. You can make up a full-length laminate stock made up for it. It will be as British as pork pies and I think you will like it. The build quality on some of those old BSA is truly remarkable.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The barrel on your ProSport is German, and the stock is probably Italian. So you are going to have to sell it back to me, yes?

I think it's time you invested in a decent pre-War BSA. Get one that is not collector's grade, put in a nylon parachute, proper guides and spring and put a scope ramp on it. Then get a TX200 CD trigger unit and have that grafted on to it - T20 has one of these and it is pretty good. You can make up a full-length laminate stock made up for it. It will be as British as pork pies and I think you will like it. The build quality on some of those old BSA is truly remarkable.
    Nope it's staying with me, it's the last rifle I'd sell if I had to sell my collection.

The pre war stuff don't really do it for me, the youngest rifle I'd consider is a mk1 Airsporter, I can't even put a bloody spring in a Theoben and get it to shoot properly let alone try and graft a different trigger onto another rifle.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

The pre war stuff don't really do it for me, the youngest rifle I'd consider is a mk1 Airsporter, I can't even put a bloody spring in a Theoben and get it to shoot properly let alone try and graft a different trigger onto another rifle.

Pete
    Diana Series 70 Model 71?

The sexiest Milbro - British through and through...

What is this new British break barrel you are hinting at? Is it made in China?

Diana Series 70 Model 71?

The sexiest Milbro - British through and through...

What is this new British break barrel you are hinting at? Is it made in China?
    If that's sexy then I'd hate to think what your ideal woman looks like

The the new rifle that has been '' at by a certain teaser on here, certainly won't be Chinese connected hopefully (unless one of the machinists had a pot noodle for lunch), it probably won't happen and we're just being lead up the wrong path and a mk4 version of something else will be forced upon us instead.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Well mine works Perfect and is full power and easy cocking for a carbine
    The Theoben That is !
    In fact if I go to the next Springer thingie (which I might ) I will bring it so you can all have a go
    It has a FWB Sport mainspring ( the loooooooong one ) but Mine has a pin holding the end Block rather than a circlip

Be great if you can make it to The Bash, sir.

And, Pete, you now have two extra reasons for coming along!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Be great if you can make it to The Bash, sir.

And, Pete, you now have two extra reasons for coming along!
    Why what's the first reason???

Pete

Why what's the first reason???

Pete
    Well, actually, Pete, there are LOTS of reasons why you should come and have a play at Quigley Hollow and join in with all the Fun of The Boing!

Meeting up face to face with some of the many nice, knowledgeable and friendly folk.

Beautiful, picturesque and relaxing surroundings.

Laid back and fun atmosphere.

See that new British break barrel in the flesh.

Share your lovely British boingers with The Good Peeps of The Hollow.

And try some 99s for the first time.

Guarantee you'll love it and will want to come again.

BOING!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Well, actually, Pete, there are LOTS of reasons why you should come and have a play at Quigley Hollow and join in with all the Fun of The Boing!

Meeting up face to face with some of the many nice, knowledgeable and friendly folk.

Beautiful, picturesque and relaxing surroundings.

Laid back and fun atmosphere.

See that new British break barrel in the flesh.

Share your lovely British boingers with The Good Peeps of The Hollow.

And try some 99s for the first time.

Guarantee you'll love it and will want to come again.

BOING!
    What's this new British break barrel you speak of

Pete

Pete
    Shhhh.......keep this quiet, okay?

But it's the one that Terry's playing with right now.

Pete
    He's not going to tell you, it's the Boinger Bash bait!

I expect it's the Parker-Hale Hurricane that they were talking about last time, but I doubt you would be interested in a British stainless-steel break-barrel with a conical piston head, cam-action breech lock and lightweight recoilless sledge action in an elegant beech stock.

He's not going to tell you, it's the Boinger Bash bait!

I expect it's the Parker-Hale Hurricane that they were talking about last time, but I doubt you would be interested in a British stainless-steel break-barrel with a conical piston head, cam-action breech lock and lightweight recoilless sledge action in an elegant beech stock.
    Knowing Tony then his bait will be a 99 with "Air Arms eccythump, Made up north" Tippexed all over it

The Hurricane's hardly going to be a lightweight if made from Stainless steel and if it's got a cam action breech lock then it'll look even worse than a HW35 with a big chunk taken out the side of the bland looking beech stock, I'll wait in vain for the Air Arms to turn up, if it ever does

Pete

Knowing Tony then his bait will be a 99 with "Air Arms eccythump, Made up north" Tippexed all over it

Pete
    You've given me an idea for a project rifle! How much are those stamp things for marking up pushbikes with a postcode?

Hi all,

A question for the shed tuners and smart arses, why is there such a power difference in certain cylinder sizes, I mainly enquire regarding the Theoben spring conversion I've tried to do recently and the complete lack of power from what I would think is a pretty large compression cylinder (27mm) and a pretty beefy spring, yet smaller cylinders like the typical 25mm HW/AA size cylinders make power easily (my Prosport was always going over the limit when it had a V-mach kit fitted), I also read sometimes how owners of Airsporter/Mercury's struggle to get to 10ftp (although mine seem to be able to get over 11ftp ok) I know with the Airsporter it's the tap that sometimes causes power problems but considering they have 28mm cylinders, but then I read about shed tuners (I'm not pointing a finger at you JB but shed tuners in question) conversions were they are doing 22-23mm cylinder conversions with tiny springs and they are making power pretty easily, I know other factors come into it like TP sizes and lengths and more commonly it's the piston head type and size that helps.

Is it black magic and Steve Pope is actually a Voodoo witch doctor or is physics and mother nature just f*****g with us

Can someone please explain this annoying phenomenon to this bewildered and slightly pissed off idiot

Answers on a postcard to......

Pete
    Sorry to see that didnt work Pete. A couple of questions...
    How old was the piston seal ? They're crap at best.
    What spring did you use?
    What pellet did you test power with ?
    How tight was the spring on the guide you had made ?

I really can't remember much about when I did mine but it made way more power than that.
    Rammers work very differently to a springer. Much quicker lock time due to the higher pressure.
    One of the issues is maybe the spring itself.
    I'd have fitted a Titan or other stiff thick spring for sure in mine and very likely used the hw35 or 80 sized "export type" spring, as they were both springs of choice for me in the early to mid 90's. It may well have been an OX i fitted.

Another valid point may be the "oversprung " thing. When I did mine I did it alone without a spring compressor. I've never owned a spring compressor so it wouldn't have been that hard.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Sorry to see that didnt work Pete. A couple of questions...
    How old was the piston seal ? They're crap at best.
    What spring did you use?
    What pellet did you test power with ?
    How tight was the spring on the guide you had made ?

I really can't remember much about when I did mine but it made way more power than that.
    Rammers work very differently to a springer. Much quicker lock time due to the higher pressure.
    One of the issues is maybe the spring itself.
    I'd have fitted a Titan or other stiff thick spring for sure in mine and very likely used the hw35 or 80 sized "export type" spring, as they were both springs of choice for me in the early to mid 90's. It may well have been an OX i fitted.

Another valid point may be the "oversprung " thing. When I did mine I did it alone without a spring compressor. I've never owned a spring compressor so it wouldn't have been that hard.
    The piston seal was in the gun (obviously) so not sure how old it is, I did try fitting a new one but buggered up the dovetail part fixing lug because I didn't use the magic Theoben way of fitting it , I used a Titan no14 spring which I had to shorten by 3 coils as it was impossible trying to get it in the cylinder without doing myself an injury or risk having it torpedo around the shed, I used the usual .177 AA domed pellets, the spring guide is a snug fit, not tight that you have to really push it hard to get it on.

Like I said before I didn't really give it that much time as the circlip that holds the rear guide in looks a bit worn and I didn't want to risk breaking it as with most Theoben parts now they are either hard to get or bloody expensive, I could have tried some preload washers and that may have got the power up into the 10ftp area but like you say, I think the seal may need replacing but I don't really want to spend another £30 at the moment on another seal when my next project is waiting to be worked on (infact I've just bought some stuff for it today).

Pete