Thread: Webley MK 1 Pistol .177 valuation

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm

Webley MK 1 Pistol .177 valuation

Not the best of nick, but its not getting used.
    I think its mid 1950s

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8Va0bdalAXfEqfoO2
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

I've purchased 4 recently,

A very nice clean slant grip for £100
    A superb Straight grip for the same
    A slightly tatty straight grip for £80
    and a tatty but shooting pre war slant for £40 (auction)

I've also seen them on sale for a lot more, There are a lot of them about so there are normally quite keenly priced examples readily available with the higher priced examples remaining un-sold, personally I favour the MK1 over all other models but the Mk1 Premier or the Senior appear to get the better prices,
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Definitely post-war. Can't quite make out if it has a "Birmingham 4" stamping, which would make it pre-1958. Equally, not sure if the trigger is blued (early post-war) or just dirty/corroded but originally shiny (later post-war).

The "Birmingham 4" stamp is desirable, but only to the extent of a 10-15% premium at most, and some buyers don't give a monkey's either way.

I've never detected that the differences between the late 40s and later pre-58 models add any real added value, except maybe to a real anorak trying to build a comprehensive collection - and that guy won't be very interested in a pistol in that condition.

I paid something like £90 three or four years ago for an early post-war one in much better condition in a private sale, which I thought at the time was an OK price, though not a bargain. I doubt that any Mk1 in working order with no parts (eg grips) breakages is worth less than £50 (and, sadly, one could probably get more than that in aggregate if broken and sold as spares), unless very badly rusted.

So, my advice, assuming the thing works OK, is that a sensible asking price would be £50-60. Half an hour with 0000 grade steel wool and 3-in-1 and someone has a nice plinker that won't gain much value, but won't lose it either.

By the way, Nige seems to have more luck than I in finding items that range from good value to bargains. A "superb straight grip" for £100 is not easy to come by these days. And I disagree with him in a friendly way: the Premier and Senior are nicer than the Mk1.