Thread: H&N .177 Pellets

Question H&N .177 Pellets

Okay, at the last Bash, Tony Leach brought along with him some Barracuda FT pellets. Maybe pre-production batches prior to full release? Weighing in at circa 9.5 grains and, apparently, H&N are wanting to make in-roads into the dominance of the JSB offerings for FT and HFT. As a fan of the old Silhouette back in the 80s, I'm very much looking forward to trying these once they're available.

The only reference I've found so far on the 'net is a mention that H&N maybe showed them off at IWA.

Anyone heard anything further?

Also, did the supply issue of the Sniper Mediums ever get resolved?

And has anyone tried the Sniper Lights in a springer?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hi Tone, I've used Sniper Light in both calibres - in fact, I'm currently using them in a 30s, which delivers 7.6 ft/lbs and superb accuracy.. Not quite as good as RS in either 99s, but certainly good enough when I'm out of JSBs.
    The Lights are quality pellets and well formed in both calibres - very effective against quarry too. They are a little more expensive than JSBs in my neck of the woods, but that hardly matters if they work well. If you like H&N pellets in general, then I suggest you give them a go...

Cheers, RW.

At least one of my guns (HW95 in .177) prefers FTTs to many JSB types that I've tried with. And with a few others, the FTTs are certainly as good.

I know the Cleary Brothers both seemed very impressed indeed with those Sniper Mediums in .177 regarding accuracy but even more so the flatter long range trajectory. Will have to try those Lights.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

I have some of the Barracuda FT pellets to test.

They were released at IWA but so far have not been released for sale. I don't know when they will be released I guess H&N are waiting to see the feedback from those who have them.

I have weighed a number of them and they all come out on my powder scales at 9.57 grains. They are proper 4.52 (possibly bigger I don't have a pellet gauge), so some people have found them hard to insert in the barrel, so far I have tried them in my FX Streamline smoothtwist, my Walther Dominator, my Anschutz 9015 and my trusty S300. Others have tried them in springers and Steyr LG100 / 110. My conclusion is that if your rifle 'likes' them then they go very well, I have seen one hole 10mm groups at 50 yards from the 9015 and the FX. The S300 was not keen, which is odd as that will throw anything down range pretty well, the Steyr didn't like them at all, too tight.

Gut feel, they will be a worthwhile HFT pellet, they seem very accurate out to 45 / 50 yards, the trajectory is more loopy at longer ranges but perfectly predictable, beyond 50 group size can get a bit iffy.

As for Sniper Mediums, they have been back in the UK for around 6 months, the hold up was Rothery who insisted H&N had stopped making them, they did from April to August of the first year they were produced (was that 2015), but were back in full production after that, I have been buying mine from Germany for a while, now I can support my local dealer again... or not as I have about 25,000 in stock!

Thank you, Neil.

Very useful information.