Thread: New Face on here

New Face on here

Hi folks, Thanks for the add. As you may expect I have a specific reason for joining. I inherited my dad's Mk1 BSA Airsporter 13 years ago. I have been OK with open sights but now find I can't see the back sight clearly (old age). The gun has some old Parker Hale dovetails on it (19mm wide). I was recently recommended to buy a Milbro C3 9X32EG by my local shooting outlet. The air soft mount is too large (20mm I believe). I am trying to source an adaptor. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for wordy thread, just trying to be clear.

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Can't help I'm afraid, but welcome to gentleman's corner.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi and welcome to the BBS. sorry l can't help either, but l am sure someone on here will be able to.

Welcome to the BBS. Alas, I cannot help but there are plenty here with early BSAs so someone is almost certain to assist. I have found the site and its members a hive of information, which has greatly enhanced my interest in this sport.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Welcome to the BBS. Alas, I cannot help but there are plenty here with early BSAs so someone is almost certain to assist. I have found the site and its members a hive of information, which has greatly enhanced my interest in this sport.
    Welcome, Gary.

I am by a long way not an Airsporter expert.

But. Here's what I know.

The Mk1 should not have scope mount grooves.

The Mk2 does.

So have you got the mark right?

There are some so-called Mk1 and a half transitional models. Maybe you have one. They mix and match Mk1 and Mk2 features.

John Knibbs (Google "airgunspares") sells scope mounts for the Mk2.

The usual distinctions between Mk1 and Mk2 are that the former always had a 3-piece laminated stock, a tapered barrel, a non-folding rear sight and no scope mount cuts. The Mk2 usually had a folding rear sight, a one-piece stock, scope mount cuts, and a straight non-tapered barrel.

The intermediate "Mk1.5" models had a variety of the features of both.

Hope that helps. In any case, Mk1,2, and "1.5" Airsporters are good guns, and interesting and collectable.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Welcome, Gary.

I am by a long way not an Airsporter expert.

But. Here's what I know.

The Mk1 should not have scope mount grooves.

The Mk2 does.

So have you got the mark right?

There are some so-called Mk1 and a half transitional models. Maybe you have one. They mix and match Mk1 and Mk2 features.

John Knibbs (Google "airgunspares") sells scope mounts for the Mk2.

The usual distinctions between Mk1 and Mk2 are that the former always had a 3-piece laminated stock, a tapered barrel, a non-folding rear sight and no scope mount cuts. The Mk2 usually had a folding rear sight, a one-piece stock, scope mount cuts, and a straight non-tapered barrel.

The intermediate "Mk1.5" models had a variety of the features of both.

Hope that helps. In any case, Mk1,2, and "1.5" Airsporters are good guns, and interesting and collectable.
    Hi Geezer, When I have approval from admin I'll post a photo. I know now that the MK1 didn't come with any scope mounts in standard form. These Parker Hale dovetails have been added sometime between 1965 and 2000, possibly for my dad or maybe Uncle Fred ( he "borrowed" the gun for an unknown number of years). It's all a bit sketchy cos they're both long time gone. Gun number is G24855.