Thread: Value difference between mk1&2 bsa superstars.

Value difference between mk1&2 bsa superstars.

I bought a superstar in .177cal thinking it was a mk2 (should have looked closer at the pic ) but gun turn up and now i know its a mk1. Are the mk2's worth more due to being able to screw a silencer in than my mk1? Should have gone to specsavers moral of the story. Do not buy a gun whilst your kids are distracting you. 1st time i bought the wrong gun also.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    they probably would have been worth more back in the day, but I doubt many will bother with a silencer and use one of these as their main hunting gun these days, so probably nothing in it really price wise.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Like Jon says above, I think they are more collectors/plinking/freaks like me who'd still use one for hunting (although I don't own one yet) type of rifle now, so I don't think the lack of the barrel weight will put people off, you can still buy all the barrel weight parts from John Knibbs if you really want one but unless it's the carbine model, it's going to make the rifle so long then you may as well poke the birds out the trees

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Thanks chaps. Just you both i collect older rifles. I use them down the range as i do not hunt anymore other than rats where id use my ff10/phoenix/r32 for that. I just love 70'&80's rifles as the onrs i got are ones i lusted after in my youth. Glad to hear i have not dropped a major clanger as the gun is in good nick and fires lovely. Thanks for your replies. Chris

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Thanks chaps. Just you both i collect older rifles. I use them down the range as i do not hunt anymore other than rats where id use my ff10/phoenix/r32 for that. I just love 70'&80's rifles as the onrs i got are ones i lusted after in my youth. Glad to hear i have not dropped a major clanger as the gun is in good nick and fires lovely. Thanks for your replies. Chris
    Agree with the others, makes no difference to value, condition being the overriding factor.

I prefer cleaner lines of Mk1, viewing muzzle weight / mod adaptor a bit fussy and unnecessary.

The Mk1 gives you the classic BSA countersunk muzzle with elegant foresight block mounted on the barrel.

I was delighted to bag a mint Mk1 a few mths ago .177", much enjoy it as a shooter. Hadn't had more than a couple of hundred pellets in it's life and did twang. My mate's .22" carbine shoots better, is well used and never been apart.

I sorted out my .177" Mk1 very nicely with Titan synthetic long guide + top hat from Knibbs. Super rifles.

Yes i agree i do like the counter bored barrel.simular to the airsporter barrel setup

I stupidly sold my mk1 superstar .177 years ago to a mates uncle and have bitterly regretted it.
    I think the mk1 looks better and less fussy at the muzzle end.
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    I stupidly sold my mk1 superstar .177 years ago to a mates uncle and have bitterly regretted it.
    I think the mk1 looks better and less fussy at the muzzle end.
    Les..
    I have a Mk1 rifle. I would prefer a Mk2 carbine.

I don't think there is any difference in value. Pure collectors want all the variants. Pure shooters want the one they think handles/shoots best (a matter of opinion). Hybrid shooter/collectors want the one they like best, or the one they wanted when they were 14-17.

With most mass-produced items, collector-enthusiasts either want the first model that caught popular attention and showed potential, or the last, perfected, variant that was upgraded and had all the bugs worked out. Of course, in some cases, the state of the business meant the later model was cheapened to stay affordable, but not all. That mostly goes for classic cars as it usually does for classic airguns.
    Last edited by Geezer; 30-04-2018 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Making post less bad