Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springer virgin part 2

muzzie is offline Wants something a little...special

Springer virgin part 2

Thanks for your help on my last post.
    After testing a few rifles I purchased a .177 hw97kt in synthetic.
    Now my problem is... as I stated in my first post .. I've never owned or fired a Springer... how do I zero my scope.
    I've mounted it and it feels fine when I do the eyes closed test
    But when I come to fire it ( not possible yet with all the rain)
    How do I know if it's me or the recoil that might make the target look like it's been hit by a shot gun.
    I could clamp it into a work bench... but do you guys have any better options.
    Cheers
    This is the crisis I knew had to come, Distroying the balance Id kept.
    Turning around to the next set of lives, Wondering what will come next .

Although not a springer virgin, I am still relatively new to springers and I have taught myself to use the same relaxed hold every time I fire mine. Consistency of hold is the answer to my accuracy and the gun rewards me if I get it right each time. A springer seems to be a living, breathing entity and will damn you to hell if you try to restrict its natural movement. If you clamp a springer in a vice to zero the scope, it won't help because you will never hold it in the same way that a vice does. A lot of practice to maintain the correct relaxed hold each time was what worked for me.
    Well, that's my take on it but there are a lot of guys with a lot more experience than me on springers who will, I'm sure, give you the best advice.
    Dave.
    Last edited by Shootfish; 28-04-2018 at 12:53 AM. Reason: word change

I wouldn't clamp it.

I usually sit at a bench, put a big cushion in front of me and, start shooting with a hold that feels natural - usually with my palm under the part of the stock where the stock bolts are.

Start with your target at 10/15yrds then, move it out further as you bring your zero in.
    Zeroing a Springer is harder than a PCP - I fire around 3 shots before making any adjustment to the scope turrets.

You'll get a feel for the rifle pretty quickly when you start but, the best advice I was given for springer shooting is to remember to follow​ through each time.

Good luck.

All of the above.

You really need to zero it in the same position you intend to shoot it. If you shoot off a bench, zero off a bench. If you shoot prone, zero it prone.

It is very hard to get pellet on pellet with a springer, so don't adjust your scope after every shot. I usually shoot groups of 5 and then use the average to make the next adjustment.

Consistency of hold, trigger technique and follow through are all key. If you don't get those right you could end up chasing pellets round the paper and never get anywhere.

Cheers for that.
    I'll just have to wait for a change in the weather... Maybe September.

Weihrauch HW97 .177, Weihrauch HW80 .22, Weihrauch HW77 .22

All good advice from above, just try and get plenty of practise and lead down range( weather permitting ) and if your shooting is getting you frustrated ,just take a break for a bit .The rifle will settle down once you have put a tin of pellets through it.
    Good luck with your new Boinger,they are great guns.
    Atb
    Les..

Once reasonably zeroed to your satisfaction you will probably start to work on reducing group sizes.
    Then the hunt for the perfect pellet begins ....good luck

If your groups suddenly start to open up, having been good, check the stock screws and trigger block bolts haven't loosened.
    With a small gel pen, you can mark their position and check periodically that they are not moving.

https://www.pyramydair.com/article/A..._April_2005/22

Do not clamp it...

I find a bit of advice I was given in the cadet force when shooting 25yrd .22"lr very helpful with springers.

The rifle and shooter needs to be "naturally aimed at the target". Sounds like stating the obvious but I hope I can explain. When I shoot in, whatever position, and have the rifle aimed at the target I relax my stance and grip. This can reveal where you and the rifle are really aiming and it may not be where you think!

Perhaps explaining what I try and do when I zero/shoot sitting at the club benches might help...

1. I want the seat to be naturally pointing me and my rifle at the target. If it isn't I will need to twist my waist/back to aim which might seem ok but my body will want to return to a natural position and drag it off target. Recoil from a Springer helps this to happen and trying to consistently hold the same twist to maintain the same poi is impossible (well for me anyway). Better to move the seat than to force the aim point.

2 I want the tripod of my shoulder and 2 hands/elbows to naturally point the barrel at the bullseye. If I relax my grip when on target I will find out if I am pushing or pulling the rifle up/down, left/right and adjust my hands/elbows to suit.

I hope this makes sense and helps. Have fun practicing.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Very true, Rich...

Much good advice up above.

Fantastic choice of rifle, muzzle; enjoy.

Now, zeroing. Whenever I'm zeroing a new rifle / combo, I always start at REALLY close range. I haven't clicked on the Pyramydair link above, but if it's the one that I have seen in the past, that will also recommend this.

So, before even moving to 10 yards or whatever, I'll set it up at mega close range, like about three yards. The pellet strike point will be about 1.5 to 2.0 inches below aim point.....great. And this will correspond to near enough the sight line above the bore line. Tweak the left to right. Then move to say six yards. Tweak the left to right more if required. Strike point maybe an inch below point of aim. This saves on lead and chasing your tail around. The other beauty of setting up initially at such a short range is that, obviously observing all safety precautions, you can do this indoors. So the weather can do what it likes outside but you can establish a "base" short range zero. Argos catalogues, taped up, come in very useful here. Plus you'll be getting some valuable running in time in as well as getting acquainted with your lovely new springer.

When you move out to longer range, getting it zeroed at approx 13 yards or so should also equate to primary zero around 33-37 yards ish (depending on pellets, height of mounts etc.).

Observe all the good advice up above re relaxed hold etc.

Hope this helps.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

A fairly light grip with the trigger hand always seems to help. Try to only use the thumb and fore finger of the trigger hand with just enough support from the rest of those fingers to hold the gun up. You want the gun to recoil naturally. It boils down to practice and keeping track of the things you may have tried that didn't work.

Watch this video by Carl Jackson, it explains in simple no nonsense terms all about the easiest technique to shoot a springer accurately

It helped me immensely with my shooting, good luck!

Thanks yet again.
    I knew I could count on you.
    Cheers