Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMK 208 Owners thoughts please?

SMK 208 Owners thoughts please?

Hi Chaps,

I was wodering what people thought of the SMK 208? What rifle is it based on please and what do any owners think of it? Also do they make this in .177?

There is a WH 99 second hand for sale at he same shop but in .22 and I just fancy a change of calibre....

Any suggestions welcome

They are a copy of a Diana 34 with a to5 trigger the Remington express has the same barrel/breech arrangement but a copy of the he rekord trigger much better in my opinion

Thanks Matt I will have a read about the Remington

No problem and they really are a better platform due to the trigger been a load better.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    They are a good copy of the Diana 34 but the build quality and materials are not the best, I had one in .177 but the piston centre rod came loose (just like some of the proper Diana's have recently) which meant it wouldn't cock properly, the triggers aren't the best either, I'd recommend you looking at either the Remington Express or the 99 you mentioned.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Thanks Pete, looks like one to avoid if anything

I’ve got a pair of TH208’s .177/.22 and a SYNSG .22 (same action, synthetic stock) and they’ve been fine. They just needed a good fettle as does everything you buy now a days. Saying that, I also have a Remington Express .177 that I’ve owned for three/four years and haven’t needed to open it up, yet these were all made in the same factory.
    Some find the LOP on the Remmy a bit long, so shoulder one. Also don’t bother with the XP version as the mod is rubbish and a sod to remove as it’s bonded on to a rough bit.
    Damn good rifle unless you suffer from a Weihrauchitis.

I've got two SMK208s... Both in .22... One, is I believe standard but shoots really well and is very accurate and the other is the TH, thumbhole stock model which I believe has a Diana 34 piston and trigger fitted and put together well.
    It also shoots beautifully and I would have no hesitation in recommending them... Maybe I just got lucky, but I reckon they're worth checking out, particularly second-hand.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    ....I'd recommend you looking at the 99 you mentioned.

Pete
    Nice one, Pete.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thanks for the info Guys. I think I may give the thumbhole stock version a try... it seems like so much of the stuff made in China is copied off established manufacturers. Is there a list anywhere of what models the chinese guns are copied off? I have a list printed out from years ago but it is way out of date now.

Not totally updated, but probably the best.
    http://chineseairgunportal.brutuz.com/clonelist.htm

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Nice one, Pete.
    With nuts and strawberry sauce and not forgetting the flake

In all fairness if the 99 is about the same price (even if secondhand) then even I can see it's a no brainer, I spent another £150 making my 208TH shoot better (fair enough I did put a T06 trigger kit in it but had to as the piston rod was knackered), so if you want a better shooting rifle (not that I've ever shot one) with less work then the 99 will be hard to beat (according to Tony)

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by VALE BOY View Post
    I've got two SMK208s... Both in .22... One, is I believe standard but shoots really well and is very accurate and the other is the TH, thumbhole stock model which I believe has a Diana 34 piston and trigger fitted and put together well.
    It also shoots beautifully and I would have no hesitation in recommending them... Maybe I just got lucky, but I reckon they're worth checking out, particularly second-hand.
    I don't think you got lucky with the TH Graeme, didn't you buy it from Peddy? If so he will have made it a bit special.

Quote Originally Posted by VALE BOY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    I don't think you got lucky with the TH Graeme, didn't you buy it from Peddy? If so he will have made it a bit special.
    Yep, I had the undoubted pleasure of having a go with the fettled TH on the Sunday afternoon of the last Bash. Very, very nice; thank you, Graeme.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    That's right Gary... Peddy did indeed do the work on it resulting in a very smooth and excellent shooting rifle.
    My remark regarding 'maybe I got lucky' was really directed at the other one which I bought from my local RFD for 50 quid and it shoots almost as good..