Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SMK 208 Owners thoughts please?

The Chinese Diana 34 copy (sold under myriad names: 207, SYNSRG, "Hammerli" 800 etc) and its cousin the "Remington" Express are actually pretty good, and markedly better than most of the obvious competition (other Chinese springers, Gamos) at similar prices.

I nearly bought one a few years ago. But then realised that I could spend the same-ish money on a second-hand real Diana 34/36/38. Which of course I did in preference. More than once. (And, unlike the HW99 - which can be awesome - no worries about galling.). Because I'm like that.

However, as above, if you want a new inexpensive boinger, this is definitely one to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by VALE BOY View Post
    I've got two SMK208s... Both in .22... One, is I believe standard but shoots really well and is very accurate and the other is the TH, thumbhole stock model which I believe has a Diana 34 piston and trigger fitted and put together well.
    It also shoots beautifully and I would have no hesitation in recommending them... Maybe I just got lucky, but I reckon they're worth checking out, particularly second-hand.
    Hi Graeme hope you are keeping well. The 208 you eventually got from me was indeed converted to a Diana 34 piston with a to5 trigger. Even without the conversion the 208 is a fine rifle with a mild fettle. The remmy express is also a good gun especially if you convert the trigger blade to a hw one. If I had to choose between the two in standard form I would struggle, either way for little money you can't beat them.

As with most chinese stuff it's a lottery. I have had a BAM B40 for years and a fantastic gun it is however I have owned an AGS also a couple of SMK too and quality has been all over the place Even the B40 next to my TX200HC isn't a patch quality wise but still exceptable and just as accurate as the TX.
    Last edited by jumbuck; 28-04-2018 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Predictive bloody texting,Grrrrr
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by jumbuck View Post
    As with most chinese stuff it's a lottery. I have had a BAM B40 for years and a fantastic gun it is however I have owned an AGS also a couple of SMK too and quality has been all over the place Even the B40 next to my TX200HC isn't a patch quality wise but still exceptable and just as accurate as the TX.
    Many years ago the B40 (along with some of the other Chinese rifles) were much cheaper and worth buying to tinker with, the B40 used to be around the £100 mark when it first hit our shores but recently I saw one secondhand on a gun shop website and they wanted £249 which isn't even worth looking at when a TX is about the same secondhand.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Many years ago the B40 (along with some of the other Chinese rifles) were much cheaper and worth buying to tinker with, the B40 used to be around the £100 mark when it first hit our shores but recently I saw one secondhand on a gun shop website and they wanted £249 which isn't even worth looking at when a TX is about the same secondhand.

Pete
    Yes Pete I utterly agree with you, the B20 imo is a great bit of kit but isn't worth TX money regardless how scarce they are becoming. I paid just over the hundred quid mark for mine about 7 years ago but had to wait a while for one to come up
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by jumbuck View Post
    Yes Pete I utterly agree with you, the B20 imo is a great bit of kit but isn't worth TX money regardless how scarce they are becoming. I paid just over the hundred quid mark for mine about 7 years ago but had to wait a while for one to come up
    I've had most of the popular Chinese rifles and like I said earlier when they where cheap they where worth buying as you had a lot bit of wiggle room cost wise to tune them before they become the same price as a new 95 but would be slightly better because of the tuning done than the out of the box 95, I had a secondhand tuned XS20 once which had been fettled by Venoman and although it was damn good (and a bargain may I add) when I did a swap for a HW95 with another rifle comparing the XS20 and the 95 which had a drop in V-mach kit, you could certainly tell the quality difference, although they shot pretty much the same, the 95 was just silky smooth to cock and just felt 'tighter' than the 20, which had this graunchyness to it.

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 29-04-2018 at 07:47 AM.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Hi Chaps,

I was wodering what people thought of the SMK 208? What rifle is it based on please and what do any owners think of it? Also do they make this in .177?

There is a WH 99 second hand for sale at he same shop but in .22 and I just fancy a change of calibre....

Any suggestions welcome
    The Diana 31/34 T0-5 copies have always been one of the best Chinese rifles from what I've seen of them -

The later HW 95 trigger copy guns had trigger probs , early ones better, that may have changed again

Each batch of Chinese rifles vary imo -

I know the trade price was about 50 quid plus vat , so base it on what you are paying , dealers make more from a cheap chinese rifle than an HW for sure -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34