Thread: BSA Gun Laying Trainer.

BSA Gun Laying Trainer.

The June 2018 issue of Air Gunner magazine features an
    excellent article on the BSA Gun Layer Trainer in John Atkins's collectors column. This piece of kit has always held a fascination for me and the article includes a picture of the Trainer in use which is something I have never seen before. Highly recommended.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    The June 2018 issue of Air Gunner magazine features an
    excellent article on the BSA Gun Layer Trainer in John Atkins's collectors column. This piece of kit has always held a fascination for me and the article includes a picture of the Trainer in use which is something I have never seen before. Highly recommended.
    Brian
    I just read this, Brian. It's outstanding and probably the last word on these oddities. Not that I understood all of it!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Yes another great artical by J.A. these used to go for a lot of money at one time, but they were never something that l ever realy wanted. but l do have one of the rubber tanks that used to aim, at which l bought at a arms fair. l didn't find out what it was used for until years later.

The rubber tank

Dare I ask who sold it to you?;-)
    https://i.imgur.com/Bg0c6er.jpg

Years ago I swapped one of these to Dennis Hiller-for a Webley MkII Premier! THAT is a very interesting article by JA. Demystified a number of things. All the army stuff I had was packed and dated 1952.I did my CMT at the camp the Layer came from. Saw a few tanks but not a Valentine with one of these curious gadgets fitted.Setting up the 'target proper' looked as if it would take around quarter a football field!
    Last edited by cinedux; 25-04-2018 at 10:25 PM.

Rare indeed

But I do know a damn handsome chap near Melbourne that has one

Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    Dare I ask who sold it to you?;-)
    https://i.imgur.com/Bg0c6er.jpg

Years ago I swapped one of these to Dennis Hiller-for a Webley MkII Premier! THAT is a very interesting article by JA. Demystified a number of things. All the army stuff I had was packed and dated 1952.I did my CMT at the camp the Layer came from. Saw a few tanks but not a Valentine with one of these curious gadgets fitted.Setting up the 'target proper' looked as if it would take around quarter a football field!
    Hi l bought it off a dealer about 12 years ago. it wasn't Dennis.

Guess there must be a few around.

I bought mine from a chap who was NZ's most renown arms collector.He said he had a 'few' airguns-turned out they were,Giffards,Bonehills,Greeners,Westley Richards etc.Oh,and the odd .25 BSA...and the gun layer!

Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    I bought mine from a chap who was NZ's most renown arms collector.He said he had a 'few' airguns-turned out they were,Giffards,Bonehills,Greeners,Westley Richards etc.Oh,and the odd .25 BSA...and the gun layer!
    Now that's what l call having a few airguns.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    But I do know a damn handsome chap near Melbourne that has one
    Did Chris sell his to a neighbour then, Pete ?

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Did Chris sell his to a neighbour then, Pete ?
    I'm guessing Chris Towers nearest neighbours would be a days ride on horseback away

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    Funnily enough I was chatting to Chris recently on this subject. I know he’s had more than one of the complete G.L Trainers over the years and has a number of targets including some Tanks that are still wrapped in their original brown paper packaging. Very nice to be the current custodian of such Airgun related treasures