Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airgun Sales that go sour

We did have one member who regularly found fault with any gun he purchased off here and then strongly demanded a refund off the vendor.

Unfortunately this situation went unnoticed as no one contacted admin they just gave him a refund, he eventually came unstuck when a member contacted us about him demanding money back on what was essentially a new gun --- one year old, hardly used, action never removed from the stock.

He very quickly became an ex member of the BBS.

Normally the sales section runs very smoothly and I'm just keeping an eye on two small problems at present.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    We did have one member who regularly found fault with any gun he purchased off here and then strongly demanded a refund off the vendor.

Unfortunately this situation went unnoticed as no one contacted admin they just gave him a refund, he eventually came unstuck when a member contacted us about him demanding money back on what was essentially a new gun --- one year old, hardly used, action never removed from the stock.

He very quickly became an ex member of the BBS.

Normally the sales section runs very smoothly and I'm just keeping an eye on two small problems at present.

All the best Mick
    that just seems weird though as surely there is no benefit from that to be had... unless he was just seeing what guns he liked before he kept one
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    that just seems weird though as surely there is no benefit from that to be had... unless he was just seeing what guns he liked before he kept one
    Not weird when you know the full story, Rhys.

It turned out that the banned member was buying complete rigs off here and another forum then splitting them up, selling the guns on Gstar and the scopes on the bay or the opposit forum so making a tidy profit.

So by chipping the vendor he was just greedily increasing his profit margins.

It turned out that the banned member was buying complete rigs off here and another forum then splitting them up, selling the guns on Gstar and the scopes on the bay or the opposit forum so making a tidy profit.

ahhh.., so getting a partial refund then selling the gun on....., what a "(insert your own insult here)"
    there's always one isn't there.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I've only ever had a problem through freeadds. Bought a cheap 900x. I was in contact with the seller till he said it was posted then all contact went dead. I passed all the details onto paypal and the police but nothing ever came of it. I've not really had any issues of significant note on here

Has to be said that if I was paying £500+ it would be f2f only,

And before people say "what if it's too far ?" most are "too far" from Devon, I've driven up to Southport to collect a large tool cabinet,

if you want it, it's worth the effort.

It turned out that the banned member was buying complete rigs off here and another forum then splitting them up, selling the guns on Gstar and the scopes on the bay or the opposite forum so making a tidy profit.

The reason for my initial post is that from a recent experience there is a very strong possibility that they are still among us "chipping" away at vendors yet to all intents and purposes coming across on the forum as totally legitimate and genuine members of various forums.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    The reason for my initial post is that from a recent experience there is a very strong possibility that they are still among us "chipping" away at vendors yet to all intents and purposes coming across on the forum as totally legitimate and genuine members of various forums.
    I'm sure there are both genuine and none genuine claims but obviously admin have to leave it upto the vendor and purchaser to try to sort things out amicably.
    Thankfully it's very rare that Admin have to get involved in these situations but when they do the participants are noted for future reference.
    So unless there is more than one dispute involving the same person it would be very difficult to identify the serial chipper.

I've never had any issues buying or selling on here. In fact, I've met some nice people through the sales section.

I bought a really nice rifle recently and, I had a query on 1 small part of it - the seller got back to me with a quick, polite reply and, even offered to sort something out if I wasn't happy.
    ....... It was a nice gesture but, I told him there was no need as I'm very happy with it.

It's not nice to think that someone would want to exploit that sort of kindness.

All of the above.

Everyone has a different idea of condition,I personally think it's part of the hobby repairing or refitting something in my eyes which is wrong,have had guns sold to me well over the top of the legal limit,comes as a bit of a shock but they are stripped ready for repair asap I don't complain just assume he was not aware.Sold one which 4 months later was told was under power and required a service and he had not fired it until that day(4 months is along time to wait to try out something you have bought),I personally can't wait to fire a new purchase,finally got to the crux of the matter when he informed me of the price of a service,told him to return it and I would do it,still waiting for a reply,there are chance'rs everywhere.

I do prefer f2f sales and buys as this gives both party's piece of mind, I had the issue with a scope I sold on bay and ended up giving a partial refund to a scope in good condition as described .
    Thankfully on here no issues.
    Last edited by para; 29-04-2018 at 09:24 AM.
    Weihrauch HW97 .177, Weihrauch HW80 .22, Weihrauch HW77 .22

Fingers crossed not had any sales problems on here so far, when selling on here i only sell
    what i would be happy to buy myself, trust & reputation are priceless IMHO!!!!!!!
    atb Brian

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by grieva View Post
    Sold one which 4 months later was told was under power and required a service and he had not fired it until that day(4 months is along time to wait to try out something you have bought),I personally can't wait to fire a new purchase,finally got to the crux of the matter when he informed me of the price of a service,told him to return it and I would do it,still waiting for a reply,there are chance'rs everywhere.
    lol - yeah, that would be my take; I'd either take it back and service myself, or just have them return it for a full refund. Not knocking £££ of unless it's something trivial - and if it is trivial, then what would one expect for secondhand ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

To save anyone else contacting me --- both these small problems are now sorted.

All the best Mick

Do you find that used pcp's seem to have more problems? I've bought 4 new and 8 used springers with only 1 that had a problem. It was one of the new ones. I'm in the U.S. and I've only had dealings with one flake. I had bought a TX off him and he knew I had a couple of Pro Elites, well after they were discontinued. He e-mailed me several times about a trade of his mint MarkI TX for my .22 Pro Elite. I told him yes and we started working out the deal. He suddenly tells me that his TX is far rarer than my PE and he wanted a little $ plus my gun. I sent him the e-mail from Air Arms that stated just shy of 1,500 PE's were produced, while just over 3,000 MarkI TX's were made. He responded with a rude little e-mail telling me to have a nice life. You will run into strange folks.