Thread: BSF S54 First Impressions

BSF S54 First Impressions

I managed to pick up a 54, recently, after a good, long search. It's the standard, base, model and is in very good condition.
    I last shot a 54 decades ago and it was the match version, and a large, weighty gun I do recall. I also remember it being very accurate. First impressions of this one are that it's not a big gun, the stock is pretty slim and quite comfortable in the hand. The gun is not heavy but is a little front heavy. My forward hand has to be placed well forward, just catching the front of the stock groove to balance the gun.
    Firing manners are very good, better than expected. Recoil is very mild, the gun cocks smoothly and easily also. The only thing I don't like about it is the shape of the trigger blade. Feels strange and uncomfortable. I also couldn't hit a bloody thing with it at first. At 15m with open sights, it spewed FTT, Bisley Practice and H & N Spitzkugel all over the shop. But sweetly.
    I finally found a near empty tin of Hobby and tried these. Instant success, with groups roughly the size of my thumbnail achieved. They always were taploader friendly. Will try Domes soon, when I get some. 22s in.
    Feeling quite enthusiastic about the 54 already.

I've got two 54s here. A std one like yourself and a Don Robinson altered version.

Being honest I've not given either fair play. I did try out the std one briefly and recall it's accuracy fair but power low at around 7. The altered one I cannot recall even having put it over chrono let alone have a shooting session on it. As you say they are front heavy, unduly so for me personally. The underlever actually being a rolled sheet manufacture as opposed to solid affair.
    The trigger is basic in operation and I've read over stressing the design to achieve full hunting power results in heavier pull.
    I've said before and I personally stand by my view that quality of manufacture is not up to the other big German names of the day but there is no denying that any collection of German shooting iron is enhanced by the addition of a BSF. Actual design and looks of the gun is quirky and dated. I haven't a clue as to the date of final production, but it could have been right to the death. But by that time I think the 54 must have seemed like a relic from a past age.
    As someone has posted recently there was an article in one of the mags that a .177 example of these was on ticket at 23 ft llb. The mind boggles. Must have been like getting 500hp out of a robin reliant.
    The models above this ( Bayern and Match if I recall) are more aesthetically pleasing and desirable but thin on the ground these days though I did have a chance is an early Bayern two years or so ago that didn't check out.
    Glad that you have fallen head over for yours 😂.
    Dave