Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I want an HW98 or a TX200HC...?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Do I want an HW98 or a TX200HC...?

I've decided to scratch the .177 springer itch, but I'm kind of torn and looking for other peoples opinions who've maybe trodden a similar path

I like the adjustable HW98 stock and the stippling and bull barrel, the weight in the shop felt fine and the balance was good and I've tried the record trigger on an HW35k which was really impressive...but I have found more than a few Weirauch owners dissatisfied with the quality of their guns from new and requiring work of some sort to get them sorted.

However, whilst in shop and for a very similar price was the TX200HC...
    Weight seemed similar maybe a bit heavier and similar balance too.
    Fish scale chequering looked good as well.
    I know these are supposed to have a good out-of-the-box reputation, which seems slighly at odds with the number of drop-in kits and short-stroke conversions I've seen fitted...

So I'm interested in other peoples views and experiences...

Thanks
    Harvey

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    aa​.
    TX200HC

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

The tx is the finest of springers

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    They're both very good, so it's just whether you want a break barrel or underlever. My choice would be a 95 as it's like the 98 but a bit lighter.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

TX all the way!

The tx is better out the box but a 95 or 98 would be very easy to work on and with a bit of time and effort can be made very special. Both are extremely good rifles mate and i would say you can't go wrong with either, so it depends on whether or not you want to fettle the rifle. If not go with the tx, if you fancy a bit of tuning go hw. Hope that helps bud

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    aa​.TX200HC
    Besides, the HW98 is so pig ugly that even it's own Mother would struggle to love it (lol).

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Walther LGV.

Seriously, I've owned multiple examples of the TX and the HW98 and I currently own a Walther Century.

All three are sublimely accurate and I'd put the TX and the Century on a par, both are more refined out of the box than the HW.

The LGV is better still than the Century and cheaper than the TX and is where my money would go.

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post

Walthar LGV.

Seriously, I've owned multiple examples of the TX and the HW98 and I currently own a Walther Century.

All three are sublimely accurate and I'd put the TX and the Century on a par, both are more refined out of the box than the HW.

The LGV is better still than the Century and cheaper than the TX and is where my money would go.
    This just goes to show that gun choice is individual, subjective, and emotive, as I 'outed' my virtually brand new LGV to go back to a walnut TX 200 HC within a week of LGV ownership (and price-wise, there was only a tenner between them, too ) ... I did like my Century though, but not more than the TX.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    Walther LGV.

I have toyed with this idea, but couldn't find one to look at and popular opinion seems to regard Walthers XM trigger unit as a poor relation to Weihrauch's Rekord or A-A's CD units... But more than happy to hear opinions on this too...

Thanks for the replys so far

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post

I have toyed with this idea, but couldn't find one to look at and popular opinion seems to regard Walthers XM trigger unit as a poor relation to Weihrauch's Rekord or A-A's CD units... But more than happy to hear opinions on this too...

Thanks for the replys so far
    The trigger was definitely one of the considerations which fuelled my return to TX ownership from that of an LGV.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Besides, the HW98 is so pig ugly that even it's own Mother would struggle to love it (lol).
    Yes, what is with the stupid slots in the fore end? A single one with no black paint would have been nice, wasn't a problem in the 1960s.

Also the 98 has tiles. Like a toilet.

If I was sensible I would just have a TX200HC with a short stroke or a 22mm conversion.

Maybe that should be my decluttering aim for next year.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    This just goes to show that gun choice is individual, subjective, and emotive, as I 'outed' my virtually brand new LGV to go back to a walnut TX 200 HC within a week of LGV ownership (and price-wise, there was only a tenner between them, too ) ... I did like my Century though, but not more than the TX.
    LOL you are so right about the individual opinions, but I have tried to show many times how the TX is better constructed than the Umarex LGU going through the two guns part by part showing pictures but Umarex owners just ignore things like the trigger and underlever just to mention two things

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    LOL you are so right about the individual opinions, but I have tried to show many times how the TX is better constructed than the Umarex LGU going through the two guns part by part showing pictures but Umarex owners just ignore things like the trigger and underlever just to mention two things
    Like your Mum saying Tesco's cola is the same as real Coca Cola ...

The Umarex ain't no Walther.

Thumbs up

Yep, TX all the way.

All of the above.