Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Gun Licence

Air Gun Licence

What are the odds that by 2019 we will need a licence for our air guns. Rumour has it that if you have an FAC it will just be added. Another form of revenue for HMG.
    Anschutz 1913. .22lr - Big Nikko. TX200.177 Mk3 Ultimate
    Taurus 357 LBR. Taurus .22 LBR BSA .22 RF Martini International Mk3.
    Marlin 357 original JM.

It is a possibility sadly. It must be opposed.

scotland started and we will follow,

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by rifleman56 View Post

Scotland started and we will follow,
    Yes, highley likely, unfortunately, but doubt they will be able to get it sorted out and implemented as soon as 2019 as Mac42 has mooted -- more likely 2020 at the earliest if it happens (but will still be a pain in the proverbial, however, when ever, or if ever it happens) ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac42 View Post
    What are the odds that by 2019 we will need a licence for our air guns. Rumour has it that if you have an FAC it will just be added. Another form of revenue for HMG.
    And running at a loss .

If you have a current FAC or SGC in Scotland you will not require a Airgun licence until your FAC or SGC runs out . When you renew your FAC and SGC ,You will require a Airgun licence too. Just like i did . I have a FAC,SGC and a AWL (Air Weapon Licence).

If I already have a firearm or shotgun certificate?
    If you are aged 14 or over and held a valid firearm and/or shotgun certificate on the 31st of December 2016, you won’t need to apply for a separate air weapon certificate until your existing licence expires.

When you renew your existing certificate you can apply for a new air weapon certificate at the same time, and you can ask to have them aligned so that they will all expire on the same date. If you are aligning your certificates in this way you will pay a reduced fee of £5.00 for the air weapon certificate.

If you want to buy or otherwise acquire a new air weapon before your current certificate expires you will need to apply for an air weapon certificate. This means that you can show the firearms dealer that you are authorised to purchase an air weapon.

If you do hold them on you FAC and SGC and want to buy a airgun from a RFD or buy component parts or a moderator then you will have to buy a Airgun Licence to buy these parts even if you have a current FAC or SGC .

Are component parts of an air weapon covered?
    Yes, you will need a certificate to own or acquire individual components of an air weapon. This generally means parts which are required to fire the gun. Accessories like sights or stands do not need a certificate.

Are sound moderators (silencers) covered?
    Yes, you will need a licence to own or acquire a sound moderator for an air weapon.

At present it cost's £72.50 for a 5 year licence or £5 if you have an FAC or SGC . So its not going to bring in much revenue . its running at a loss up here in Scotland.

The only way it will be added to an FAC is if it is over 12ftlbs .

http://airweapon.scot/faqs/

As I see it for me, if they do introduce a license, I'll probably get rid of all of my sub 12 kit and, just have a .22 TX running at a higher velocity and, apply for a proper FAC.

I know a few blokes that feel the same.

That should make the tree huggers happier - an increase in hunters using firearms

All of the above.

None of you pessimists seem to factor in a few facts here. Firslty ignore what happens in Scotland-we are NOT Scotland and do not have such a dominant left of centre ruling party as the SNP. Secondly the Police don't want it-they simply cannot cope with present demand let alone the massive burden of additional work that will be required to register all air guns. Bear in mind that there are an estimated 5-7 MILLION air guns currently in British homes. Thirdly even the most stupid politician must realise that a law of this kind would only be obeyed by law abiding people. My view for what it is worth is that the current government really does have other things to worry about at the moment. Low powered air guns are the least of their worries and contribute very very little to public disorder.
    There really is no point at all in introducing such a measure for the foreseeable future so STOP WORRYING.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Barring a major incident, I don't see licensing coming to England/Wales any time soon. The Police are totally against it and any idea about it being a 'revenue earner' can be dismissed completely. Licensing would be seriously expensive in terms of time, manpower and money, and all of those are in short supply right now.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

had this conversation with my airgunning mates all of us would ditch sub 12 and go FAC
    When i look at 22lr or 17hmr and what i could buy with the money i have in airguns it a no brainer i would probably keep 1 sub 12 for barn work

Quote Originally Posted by Mac42 View Post
    What are the odds that by 2019 we will need a licence for our air guns.
    Why the focus on air guns when you can go out and buy unlicensed catapults, bows and crossbows that can be far more dangerous / lethal?

Quote Originally Posted by rifleman56 View Post
    scotland started and we will follow,
    In Scotland the SNP (spit) were the driving force behind the licence & they won the election with a landslide which allowed them to force it through.

In England none of the parties are behind licencing in the same way,
    Yes, there is/was a revue, largely in answer to one MP's question from the constituency where a baby/toddler was shot,
    AFAIK No English police force is in favour, probably because they know a lot of shooters will choose to increase power & go FAC which will result in more higher power airguns in the system.

Finally, far from generating income it's almost certainly going to cost the Gov money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    As I see it for me, if they do introduce a license, I'll probably get rid of all of my sub 12 kit and, just have a .22 TX running at a higher velocity and, apply for a proper FAC.

I know a few blokes that feel the same.

That should make the tree huggers happier - an increase in hunters using firearms

i think thats the best way to go,

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    None of you pessimists seem to factor in a few facts here. Firslty ignore what happens in Scotland-we are NOT Scotland and do not have such a dominant left of centre ruling party as the SNP. Secondly the Police don't want it-they simply cannot cope with present demand let alone the massive burden of additional work that will be required to register all air guns. Bear in mind that there are an estimated 5-7 MILLION air guns currently in British homes. Thirdly even the most stupid politician must realise that a law of this kind would only be obeyed by law abiding people. My view for what it is worth is that the current government really does have other things to worry about at the moment. Low powered air guns are the least of their worries and contribute very very little to public disorder.
    There really is no point at all in introducing such a measure for the foreseeable future so STOP WORRYING.
    This^
    Think the Government has better things to do.
    Trainspotting airgun abuse was so Scottish, shame they didn't focus their energy on tackling drug abuse!

Nothing wrong with licensing airguns in my opinion,just the way everything is going now adays made no difference to me here in Scotland.If you’ve got a reason for having one you’ll have no problems.
    Last edited by Dave74; 29-04-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Oh dear.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.