Thread: would a new recoilless springer sell?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    No it wouldn't in enough numbers to make it viable. A perfect storm of mechanical complexity, cost, potential unreliability, and very very small potential market of nuts... erm.. enthusiasts. It's a niche within a niche within a niche.

Given how good, simple and reliable you can make a non-regulated PCP it's a no-brainer. It's a shame as I love all the self contained powerplants (except gas rams which are the devil's work!)

Some Hatsan's have a shock absorber system to dampen recoil, no idea if it works or not.

Problem would appear to be the small number of people who would buy one, ie serious springer enthusiasts.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Some Hatsan's have a shock absorber system to dampen recoil, no idea if it works or not.

Problem would appear to be the small number of people who would buy one, ie serious springer enthusiasts.
    Hatsans have a plastic collar that the front stock screw runs through. It does reduce recoil slightly but nothing that could be called recoiless. One thing I do notice is that non of the stock screws work loose like most springers.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    Hatsans have a plastic collar that the front stock screw runs through. It does reduce recoil slightly but nothing that could be called recoiless. One thing I do notice is that non of the stock screws work loose like most springers.
    I had a good look at this on a Hatsan Dominator. As far as I could tell it does nothing. The rear of the action is solidly mounted to the stock so all recoil will just be transferred this way. You would need both ends of the action to be isolated for this to work.

The stock screws don't work loose on any of my springers (and I have a few). They just need the correct washers and the right torque and they will stay put

I don't think there's a market for a recoilless springer any more, not in large volumes anyway. I reckon that ship sailed long ago.
    I do think there's a place for a British made, sub12 specific, break barrel springer of quality construction though. Well there's certainly a space for one in my cabinet. Air Arms just have to take the plunge.
    B.A.S.C. member

I started with a recoiling springer. I wasn't getting accuracy that I was happy with so tried to get that springer tuned so it would shoot accurately. The guy who did all my tuning for me, Keith Mepham, said straight from the off ... It's probably you and not the rifle. Get someone who can shoot a springer to test it for you with a few different decent pellets.

What? Nonsense!

So I then spotted these recoilless springers. Tried one of those. Much easier to get better accuracy ... but how terribly boring and the trigger just wasn't the same as my old 77.

I then bought the wife a second hand S200, second hand bottle and scope for about £350 all in. Now if you want to hit what you aim at ... get one of these PCPs ... so hunting etc ... use these ... and cheaper than a decent new springer if you search around s/h! For targets and pleasure ... Woefully boring.

So I returned to my old 77's and just accepted that I'd miss a lot more than the other options ... but enjoy it more. Then I learned to shoot ... Ah ...

So ... as all of the above comments ... not a big enough market and boring for the true air rifle shooter.