Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I stick with ftt?

Should I stick with ftt?

Hi all.... Finally got my .20 daystate barrel and fitted it to the huntsman, bit of adjusting, and fitting of the new scope and power checking yesterday but I had a really bad migraine so I couldn't shoot some groups or test my pellets. Finally got to it tonight just before I lost the light and I tried ftt's and bisley superfield. The superfield showed promise and I'm loathed to put them aside but the little step on the edge of the head made loading them past the o'ring in the mag almost impossible so I shot one mag and gave up!!! These might work better in single shot mode. Anyway moved on to the ftt and they seem also alright so I filled the gun fitted the bipod and did some "full concentration" 10 shot groups (whole mag) in 4 different targets to get an idea of how they are really performing.
    The first involved a bit of scope twiddling then the 2nd & 3rd were straight mags & the 4th had a little twiddle and by this point it was quite dark so I was using the iluminated reticle on my brand new Nikko panamax 3-9.
    Now here are the results:

https://imgur.com/a/xlsV2xa

Now I'm no national champion and I wasn't checking for cant but I thought these pellets did alright considering they are 10 shot groups from a magazine in fading light from a bipod at 26 yrds (my chosen zero). I know I need to push out to 50yrds to really test them and see how they do in wind but what do you think? are these pellets doing the trick or should I look at the heavier pellets available in .20?

Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Nowt wrong with those groups Rhys mate. Get your eye in during daylight hours and I reckon you will improve further still. Glad the .20 conversion is going well bud, keep us updated. How's that lovely 77 coming along?

Hi. I have baracuda .20 5.0 at 13.58 gr , Weihrauch ft exact .20 5.1 at 13.3 gr and also jsb exact .20 5.1 at 13.73. If you would like to try and or indead all 3 of these brands send me an address via message and I will post some samples to you next week . Atb Paul

I can not see the group size on my iPad as can't load the pictures

But willing to send you some of the above to try

Paul

Looking very good, Rhys.

Fading light and you may haves also been rushing things a little because of that?

Maybe you won't better the FTTs (I love them in other calibres and plenty of people rate them so highly in ,20), but especially with the very generous offer made above, maybe you owe it to the rifle and yourself to give those a try, too?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by baldinio View Post
    Nowt wrong with those groups Rhys mate. Get your eye in during daylight hours and I reckon you will improve further still. Glad the .20 conversion is going well bud, keep us updated. How's that lovely 77 coming along?
    Thanks sir... Not shot the 77 much but I have got a new seal & tinny very very kindly sent me a brass oversized safety catch to fit to it as a freebie and I've got a little nose extension to plop in there and give a go as well so I'm looking forward to having another gun play evening at some point. The .20 conversation is looking really good at the moment initial testing is showing the satisfactory smack that you get from a .22 (I know it's not very scientific) with nearly the same zero & curve as my jsb heavy .177 pellets. The day before the change I had two beautiful headshot pigeons which did make me worried about doing it but I'm so far pleased with the results, I'll take it up the farm soon and try it on the rats... That's the real test.

Quote Originally Posted by psb_74 View Post
    Hi. I have baracuda .20 5.0 at 13.58 gr , Weihrauch ft exact .20 5.1 at 13.3 gr and also jsb exact .20 5.1 at 13.73. If you would like to try and or indead all 3 of these brands send me an address via message and I will post some samples to you next week . Atb Paul

I can not see the group size on my iPad as can't load the pictures

But willing to send you some of the above to try

Paul
    That's very kind of you thanks Paul, the barracuda and the weihrauch exacts were going to be my next choice so that would be ace thank you!!.. pm to follow!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Looking very good, Rhys.

Fading light and you may haves also been rushing things a little because of that?

Maybe you won't better the FTTs (I love them in other calibres and plenty of people rate them so highly in ,20), but especially with the very generous offer made above, maybe you owe it to the rifle and yourself to give those a try, too?
    Possible I was rushing a bit and I'm also getting used to the slight nuances in this new scope, it doesn't show quite as flat an image as my Nikon or my vortex but that's kinda to be expected as there's £70-220 price difference in it!. It does however seem to do a good job at bucking the parallax with its adjustable objective and it works well with my NV so £115 for a very versatile mag range which so far is nice and clear (if a bit fish bowly around the edges, I am being very very picky!!) Seems like very good value to me and the right choice for what I wanted. So we will see, I'd like to really push some groups at 50yrds.. that will show the errors or bad pellets as so far it doesn't seem like the barrel is very fussy, which is nice.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Thumbs up

There's nothing wrong with trying other pellets mate but, I'd be happy with the groups in the picture so far.

All of the above.

Heavier .20 pellets = might as well use .22.

Thats why I stick with H&N ftt.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Heavier .20 pellets = might as well use .22.

Thats why I stick with H&N ftt.
    Yeah.. sort of.. but a 13.3grn weihrauch is still lighter than the lightest .22 and there are a few brands in the 13grn category so I personally don't think it's a "may as well use .22" at all... you only get pellet choice from 14grn+ in .22.
    I personally think that .20 has the best weight choice of pellet for sub 12 hunting out of the lot 10-14grn is where it's at as far as I'm concerned and .20 is smack in the middle of that.
    Rhys

Falcon Accuracy Plus are good .22 pellets and weigh in at 13.40.

I have a few .20 rifles and they tend to dislike heavy .20 pellets, but Im not trying to stop you experimenting and they might suit your gun.

Cant see the point of .20 when you have light pellets in .22 and heavy pellets in .177
    Falcon accuracy plus .22 13.3 gr running @ 625 fps very good in most guns
    JSB heavies .177 10.3 gr running @ 715 fps very good in most guns

I use falcons in my .22 guns
    AA Express 7.9 gr in my .177 and kills rats , squirrels , pigeons , rabbits from 15 yards out to 50 yards

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Falcon Accuracy Plus are good .22 pellets and weigh in at 13.40.

I have a few .20 rifles and they tend to dislike heavy .20 pellets, but Im not trying to stop you experimenting and they might suit your gun.
    As it goes unless the heavier .20 pellets are exceptional IL be using ftt anyway, it's the better weight for .20 anyway, I started this thread because I wanted people's opinions on the group's shown in the link to the picture and if they thought it was worth trying other pellets. Three 10 shot groups printing ragged holes no bigger than a 5p at 26yrds from one fill on a bipod (don't really use a bipod normally but just trying to eliminate any user error as much as possible). My impression was the pellets seemed fairly consistent with no flyers in 30-40 shots but the group's could be a bit smaller for the distance... This could be my shooting though.
    What do you think is it worth trying other pellets in pursuit of better accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by villaman View Post
    Cant see the point of .20 when you have light pellets in .22 and heavy pellets in .177
    Falcon accuracy plus .22 13.3 gr running @ 625 fps very good in most guns
    JSB heavies .177 10.3 gr running @ 715 fps very good in most guns

I use falcons in my .22 guns
    AA Express 7.9 gr in my .177 and kills rats , squirrels , pigeons , rabbits from 15 yards out to 50 yards
    Well., It's good that you are happy with that and it works for you.. I struggled with .177 and I never felt confident shooting inside sheds with it so I went to .22. then I struggled with having two rifles, always wishing I had the rifle and decided I wanted 1pcp to do everything and that's what I'm working towards and so far I'm pleased with the results.
    I guess it's horses for coarses and in this modern age the choice is huge! Thanks for your input.
    Rhys

brands

hi there, its well worth trying a few different brands, it could suit the barrel better and the grouping may tighten up a little more . hats off to the members offer of the samples

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    As it goes unless the heavier .20 pellets are exceptional IL be using ftt anyway, it's the better weight for .20 anyway, I started this thread because I wanted people's opinions on the group's shown in the link to the picture and if they thought it was worth trying other pellets. Three 10 shot groups printing ragged holes no bigger than a 5p at 26yrds from one fill on a bipod (don't really use a bipod normally but just trying to eliminate any user error as much as possible). My impression was the pellets seemed fairly consistent with no flyers in 30-40 shots but the group's could be a bit smaller for the distance... This could be my shooting though.
    What do you think is it worth trying other pellets in pursuit of better accuracy?
    I would say that if you have the opportunity, Rhys, then yes it's worth trying as many as you can. You might just find a surprise winner. Or it might just serve to confirm that your current pellet is the most accurate, saving you wondering "what if?".
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I will post those pellets to you either tmoz or Thursday. Cheers paul